Menu

Best wine for heart health?

I remember hearing/reading that 4oz red wine daily was good for lowering cholesterol. Then I heard one news item stating that white wine has the same benefits. So, red or white?

Also, does it matter how sweet the wine is? Is a beaujelais as good as a Cabernet (health-wise)?

I so understand that grape juice may provide the same type of benefit, but I am specifically asking about wine.

What says the hive?

I've always heard that red wine has greater benefits than white wine (supposedly the concentration of resveratrol in red wine is much higher than in white wine - and that's the ingredient that provides so many health benefits).

I'm doing something for my health by enjoying a nice glass of Malbec right now... :)

I've always heard that red wine has greater benefits than white wine (supposedly the concentration of resveratrol in red wine is much higher than in white wine - and that's the ingredient that provides so many health benefits).

I'm doing something for my health by enjoying a nice glass of Malbec right now... :)

Resveratrol, that's the word I needed, thanks for the reminded. I settled for a glass of burgundy myself - a splash in the sauce pot, a splash in my glass :D

Imp, I also get headaches from reds, but not if I just take 4oz. I would take white if imwerent looking specifically for heart health benefits.

You know, prunes have the same benefits without the nasty alcohol! Aren't you delighted to know that?

:D

Rosie

Well, "dried plums" with bacon wrapped around them and baked are fabulous! ;o)

(Not sure how good the bacon is for your heart, though. LOL)

Well, "dried plums" with bacon wrapped around them and baked are fabulous! ;o)

(Not sure how good the bacon is for your heart, though. LOL)

Ha! I'll wash it down with some Cabernet. :D

Thanks for the reminder about the prunes, Rosie. If I remember correctly, they are also high in iron, and I could use some of that, too!

I just recently discovered I like a glass of red wine but how do I store it? After I open it, I only drink a glass and then don't know what to do with the rest or how long it will last.

You can find some in smaller single-serving bottles, or try a box wine.