Menu

Has anyone used this book to help executive function in a child?

Yes, we read it and took a few ideas. It goes well with the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.

Mostly everything should have a designated resting place. It's use was making the kid realize that it wasn't my way or highway, I was just passing on the time tested organizational ideas that most people use.

I realized from the book that some of ds's teachers were asking the impossiblle. Comp book plus binder w/dividers plus project folder plus text..and that for one of 7 classes? No way.

Thanks. I am thinking of buying it to help out my older child, who is scattered with his belongings. We definitely have a "everything has its place" approach here, that's just my personal style, but unless I am reminding DS he misplaces things. Not sure how much of that is normal and how much is "scatterbrained".

I haven't. We did 7 habits of highly effective teens and ADHD and me what I learned from lighting fires at the kitchen table. I've also gone through other sources. What I learned is the person with the problem must want to fix the problem. As a mom you can implement some things that help so that the problem is less of a family issue, but the child must internalize the techniques himself eventually and he has to want to do that.

It's only been recently that ds 17 has admitted he's has an exteme problem. He hasn't begun to do anything about. He's very arrogant about his intellect. He has a very high IQ but you need performance on paper to get into competitive colleges. You need exec function skills to get the grades. It has been a rude awakening for him this year. There was nothing I could do to change his path because in his eyes I didn't know anything. I see glimpses of him starting to take responsibility and wanting to change only now. my dd 14 is different. She has milder EF problems, but she is trying out different ways to manage them. She takes suggestions.

Good luck

I read it and found the information useful. I like how it laid out the strengths and weaknesses of the parent as well as the child. I found areas of weakness in me that were also present in my son. I also found areas of strength in me that were areas of weakness in my son. It seemed that those areas were the ones that frustrated me the most. It helped me see my son in a different light. I am spending time working on problem solving related to executive skills this year, but will be incorporating some of those strategies later on. I think it is a book I will reread many times.

I 'mn part way through reading it. What I've picked up from it so faris the need to very gradually go from telling them what to do, to doing it for themselves independently. The writing style is dull, but I'm persevering because there are useful suggestions in there.

Thanks. I am thinking of buying it to help out my older child, who is scattered with his belongings. We definitely have a "everything has its place" approach here, that's just my personal style, but unless I am reminding DS he misplaces things. Not sure how much of that is normal and how much is "scatterbrained".

Hmmm...your son sounds just like my oldest daughter. I think it's a personality thing. Also, I have to help my daughter clean her room still. I don't know if *things* are overwhelming...or...I have no idea. My daughter will also save things that have absolutely no value. She will save that bendy thing on the top of a soda can and I'll find it in her room 3 weeks from now. :glare:

I'm not so sure there's a solution to this. I also think creative people tend to be kinda messy.