Menu

Reading help!

TGHEALTHYMOM

I need help deciding: I have seen a few posts before, but don't know what to do. I have been slowly using Alphabet Island which we love, along with 100 ez lessons with our dd 8, dd 6. DD 8 seems to have alot of trouble remembering blends and I have worked with her several times since she was 5. She tries very hard, does copy work I assign and copies words on her own to show me her lists of words she knows.

I have asked my hs group and the only 2 things suggested were vision therapy or Dianne Kraft materials.

I have read tons of articles on dyslexia and sensory integration therapy, And many programs to help.

Reading Reflex is recommended but I have read reviews stating that there are many who have had problems after using it.

I will continue my search, and appreciate any advice or links.

My younger dd has had a ton of problems with blends too. She was doing great with AAR 1 until we hit the blends. Turns out her phonological awareness is just poor. So, she is working with a SLP on that, along with me doing a lot of games. I am reading all the books by Peggy Kaye, they are awesome for ideas on different problems. Also, I did finally take my dd for a vision assessment. She has some horrible issues with that too.

Hope this helps some. Last night I took our big foam letters and placed them all over the floor. I would call out a word, and she would have to hop to the letter that started with that sound. She loved that game. Just an idea. I am sure someone will jump on her with more. The special needs sight has some people with amazing ideas too.

Did she have any speech problems? Blends can be tricky for anyone with an underlying speech problem--even if the problem has been remediated for speech, it shows up again for phonics.

Blends are easier to hear and comprehend in syllables, you can try the syllabary and Webster's Speller:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/webstersway.html

Also, it is important for you both to know and understand that even though you might think you can say a letter sound in isolation, you can only say vowels and a few consonant sounds like m and n in isolation. Most of the consonants sounds are approximations when said in isolation, they are not their true sounds when they are blended together with another letter. For example, it is impossible to say the sound of "B" without at least a bit of a vowel sound at the end. You may think you are saying it without saying "buh," but even if it is short, you are saying a bit of a vowel sound at the end. When you add the sound of the letter "B" to another consonant, this "uh" sound gets chopped off, slightly changing the way it sounds. Sounds in syllables are their true sounds, they do not get changed when added together to make words.

I would recommend Spell to Write and Read. I started it with my daughter when she was about 8 because reading was such a struggle for her. I think it is the only reason she can read now. It doesn't have to be Spell to Write and Read, but I would look for an Orton Gillingham or Spaulding based reading program.

HTH,

Joy

We're having success with All About Spelling with the readers. I'd add AAR, but level 2 isn't out yet.

We started Reading Reflex last spring and it helped a lot, at first, but it eventually got ahead of him. I'm hanging onto it and will use, at least, the stories once he gets there in AAS.

...I would look for an Orton Gillingham or Spaulding based reading program

:iagree:

I would look for an Orton Gillingham or Spaulding based reading program.

:iagree:I 3rd that suggestion. Hugely helpful for kids with these types of language issues. We have liked AAS & Recipe for Reading (which is one manual that shows you how to build your own O-G program). I really wavered on buying Recipe for Reading and it has been so helpful, I wish I had purchased it right away.