Menu

DAVY JONES of the Monkees -- Dead at 66.......

Sorry for his family, but the man acted like a jerk. Dd played for a gig of his a few years ago, in MI. He was late, rude and couldn't sing! He treated the stage hands, director and players like dirt. Dd was less than impressed. Oh, and then the check was late...

That does sound awful. :glare: Maybe he was having an off day?

Sorry for his family, but the man acted like a jerk. Dd played for a gig of his a few years ago, in MI. He was late, rude and couldn't sing! He treated the stage hands, director and players like dirt. Dd was less than impressed. Oh, and then the check was late...

the majority of celebrities act that way. that doesn't mean we speak ill of them when they're dead

sad day. he and peter were my imaginary friends when I was little. I love the monkees; shades of gray is one of my favorite songs ever

my co-valedictorian and I wrote our graduation speeches around that song.....

I would have never remembered the title if you hadn't said it...

and we then dropped Monkees lines into our speeches... something about save the prairie chicken. We thought about walking off the stage in Monkee style, but the principal said "no".

I remember the all night marathons on mtv in the 80's

I remember the trips to the concerts. buying the collector's albums (and selling them for profit) I even had Changes on LP.

and.... and... when my mom was 2 months pregnant with me.. she and my dad took my dad's 12 year old sister to one of the Monkees concerts where Hendrix opened. Scared my aunt out of her mind. and who knows what it did to me :lol:

I even had some of Davy's 45's.....

that's my memories...

-crystal

I was also a huge Monkees fan. As much as I loved them, I don't think Margaret did anything wrong by sharing her experience. A celebrity is still just a person. They should be remembered not just for their time in the spotlight, but for who they were as human beings. It reminds me of the part in Scrooge where Scrooge is in the future listening to how people will remember him after he's gone. That can be changed by how we lives our lives and how we treat people. Or not.

I just saw the news and tears sprang to my eyes. I was a big monkees fan. Grew up with their show. Loved. Loved. Loved them. Had a big crush on Davy. My sister and I saw him once in concert eons ago. I think it was at Disneyland. Don't remember exactly. I usually don't get too upset over celebrities but this one makes me really sad.

I was also a huge Monkees fan. As much as I loved them, I don't think Margaret did anything wrong by sharing her experience. A celebrity is still just a person. They should be remembered not just for their time in the spotlight, but for who they were as human beings. It reminds me of the part in Scrooge where Scrooge is in the future listening to how people will remember him after he's gone. That can be changed by how we lives our lives and how we treat people. Or not.

I loved his music too and I'll be singing I'm a Believer all day now. And I do have sympathy for his family(ies). But, perhaps instead of giving people a pass when they're jerks just because they're celebs, we should call a spade a spade. Dd has also met and worked with other celebs in the music world and many are wonderfully gracious people. I hope my children can see people for their character, NOT their celebrity status.

I don't think people who have a preference for not speaking ill of the dead are giving anyone a pass or pretending that celebrity equals character. We are just shocked when people are quick to speak ill of the dead, that's all. It's unseemly to us, because if there is ever a time when humanity deserves respect and empathy it is at the moment of death. Death comes to us all.

It's just a belief that more of America used to share. Those of us who still feel that way are shocked and a little offended when a death is mentioned and someone callously begins listing his sins. People are mourning for him! He can't defend himself or change himself now, can he? And all of us will die. May nobody pipe up with a recital of my shortcomings before I even reach room temperature.

I don't want anyone to JAWM, just speaking up for an old custom that is missed by some, which is not to speak ill of the dead at least until after the funeral.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
decided to capitalize jawm which is an acronym

Oh no, I was thinking of him the other day as I loved him when I was a teen growing up! Bobby Sherman too! ;)

He was so young.

How sad!

Off topic, but Bobby Sherman lives near me and he drives around a classic old red ambulance to raise awareness (and money) for his cause of proving emergency medical technicians (EMTs) for people in need.

I've met him many times and he seems like a very nice guy.

Bill

:iagree:

I'm sorry. My point was not that "he's a celebrity, let's give him a free pass." My point was, "He's dead, we don't need to speak ill of him." Maybe I'm just weird but I guess I don't like speaking ill of anyone who has just died. I'm not here to start an argument or anything, I'd just like to get back to the fond memories and all. :001_smile:

How cool!

We also got to see Mickey Dolenz play at one of those free summer concerts in the park a couple of years ago. Yes he is older and a little less svelte, but the humor, the voice and the energy are intact!

It was such a fun show. His sister was his back-up singer (and did some solo turns like the Linda Ronstadt/Stone Ponies classic "Different Drum.") She has a set up pipes on her!

Mickey grew up in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles (where the concert was held) and he told all sorts of great stories of growing up here, becoming a Monkee, meeting the Beatles, and other fun anecdotes. If anyone has a chance to see him, Mickey has still got it!!!

Bill

It was such a fun show. His sister was his back-up singer (and did some solo turns like the Linda Ronstadt/Stone Ponies classic "Different Drum.") She has a set up pipes on her!

Bill

go Dolenz!

Michael Nesmith wrote the song Different Drum... it all connects :lol:

-crystal

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" is a song by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, most famous for the version recorded by The Monkees in 1967. Goffin's and King's inspiration for the name was a street named Pleasant Valley Way, in West Orange, New Jersey where they were living at the time.[2] The road follows a valley through several communities among the Watchung Mountains. The lyrics were a social commentary on status symbols, creature comforts, life in suburbia, and "keeping up with the Joneses".

When I was a kid, our family went to a swim club in West Orange, and dancing lessons in West Orange. We lived very close to WO (yes, I grew up in status symbol land) and my friends and I thought this song was cool.

sad day. he and peter were my imaginary friends when I was little. I love the monkees; shades of gray is one of my favorite songs ever

:001_smile:

Ha ha!

When I was about six, my friend Sherri and I used to play outside on our roller skates that we helping The Monkees solve crimes (or something) ...

I was a huge Monkees fan. Friends have actually been sending me condolence e-mails today ...

my co-valedictorian and I wrote our graduation speeches around that song.....

I would have never remembered the title if you hadn't said it...

and we then dropped Monkees lines into our speeches... something about save the prairie chicken. We thought about walking off the stage in Monkee style, but the principal said "no".

I remember the all night marathons on mtv in the 80's

I remember the trips to the concerts. buying the collector's albums (and selling them for profit) I even had Changes on LP.

and.... and... when my mom was 2 months pregnant with me.. she and my dad took my dad's 12 year old sister to one of the Monkees concerts where Hendrix opened. Scared my aunt out of her mind. and who knows what it did to me :lol:

that's my memories...

-crystal

WOW ... I'm so impressed.

And someone who knows "Save the Texas Prairie Chicken." :001_wub: Can you be my friend?

We also got to see Mickey Dolenz play at one of those free summer concerts in the park a couple of years ago. Yes he is older and a little less svelte, but the humor, the voice and the energy are intact!

Mickey grew up in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles (where the concert was held) and he told all sorts of great stories of growing up here, becoming a Monkee, meeting the Beatles, and other fun anecdotes. If anyone has a chance to see him, Mickey has still got it!!!

Bill

That is SOO cool!

I saw them in concert in Atlanta this summer, and Coco sang "Different Drum" there as well.

And Micky explained in detail the history of the song "Randy Scouse Git" and its title. I knew it all already, but it great to hear him personally explain it.

[bTW, it is "Micky" ... not spelled like the Mouse! :001_smile:]

Well, he may have been a jerk, but at least he wasn't afraid to make fun of himself. I found this quote in an article in The Telegraph.

"Jones is survived by his four children. He lived in the US with his third wife, Jessica Pacheco, who is 31 years his junior and whom he met in a stage production of Cinderella. In a recent interview, he recalled the moment they fell in love:

“She turned to me one day and said, Let’s run upstairs and make love’.

“I looked at her. ‘At my age,’ I said, ‘it’s going to have to be one or the other’.”

Edited by TheHomeScientist

Well, he may have been a jerk, but at least he wasn't afraid to make fun of himself. I found this quote in an article in The Telegraph.

"Jones is survived by his four children. He lived in the US with his third wife, Jessica Pacheco, who is 31 years his junior and whom he met in a stage production of Cinderella. In a recent interview, he recalled the moment they fell in love:

“I looked at her. ‘At my age,’ I said, ‘it’s going to have to be one or the other’.â€

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill

“I looked at her. ‘At my age,’ I said, ‘it’s going to have to be one or the other’.â€

:lol::lol::lol:

:001_smile:

Ha ha!

When I was about six, my friend Sherri and I used to play outside on our roller skates that we helping The Monkees solve crimes (or something) ...

I was a huge Monkees fan. Friends have actually been sending me condolence e-mails today ...

When I was a girl I had Monkees records that we cut off the Alpha Bits cereal box. Anyone else remember those?

Off topic, but Bobby Sherman lives near me and he drives around a classic old red ambulance to raise awareness (and money) for his cause of proving emergency medical technicians (EMTs) for people in need.

I've met him many times and he seems like a very nice guy.

Bill

I love hearing this. As much as I loved the Monkees (and Peter Tork was my favorite) when I fell in love with Bobby Sherman I was much older (12? 13?) and much more serious. :tongue_smilie:

I had a few posters on my walls as a kid and teen...the Monkees, Bobby Sherman (sigh), Elvis, and Secretariat. Deep sigh...most of them are gone from this world now.

I'm delighted I introduced the youngest ds to the 'classics' a few years ago. One of my favorite memories of us is singing in loud voices to the Monkees CD on a long road trip.

I'll always be a Daydream Believer....