Menu

Another thing to tell your kids to never do....

This.

So sad for this girl and her family. :crying:

ETA: the link isn't anything scary or too disturbing. It's an interview/article with the parents of a 14 year old who died from inhaling helium at a party. And why we should tell our kids to never do this is because people do this. They think it's funny. I never did it. I had no idea it could kill you. The parents are trying to raise awareness.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I'm scared to click on that. :( What happened?

OH...I'm sorry. A 14 year old girl went to a sleep over. What the parents didn't know was that a bunch of the girls went to someone elses house....a 27ish year old woman who gave them alchohol. Next thing you know they inhaled helium to make their voices funny. The 14 girl died right then and there. The link is the the interview with the parents on the Today Show.

Thank you for sharing this. I don't watch TV in the mornings so I hadn't heard this. I sent my own teen the link because I remember doing the helium balloon thing as a kid. I never knew it was dangerous! I do wonder if one difference is that she breathed it directly from the pressurized tank instead of a balloon. Sad story nonetheless.

I have talked to my kids about this when we discussed huffing, but good reminder to talk about it again. YEsterday I was using rubber cement so all 3 kids started talking about the time we talked about huffing so it is a good time to bring this one up too.

I had warned about the tank specifically because the pressure can rupture your lungs but even from the balloon is not safe.

Before everyone goes off the deep end and thinks inhaling helium from a balloon could kill your child, please read all the facts. From the autopsy report:

Immediate Cause of Death - “Traumatic helium gas and air embolism due to inhalation of helium gas mixture from a pressurized canister.â€

In other words, the pressure was so great it forced air/helium to break alveoli and enter her blood stream . This will not happen from inhaling from a balloon. The injury and subsequent death was due to inhaling from a pressurized tank.

In some situations such as underwater chambers, helium is used instead of nitrogen as the majority component of the air. It's considered very safe.

:chillpill:

Before everyone goes off the deep end and thinks inhaling helium from a balloon could kill your child, please read all the facts. From the autopsy report:

In other words, the pressure was so great it forced air/helium to break alveoli and enter her blood stream . This will not happen from inhaling from a balloon. The injury and subsequent death was due to inhaling from a pressurized tank.

In some situations such as underwater chambers, helium is used instead of nitrogen as the majority component of the air. It's considered very safe.

I guess I'm slightly confused about your :chillpill: comment. I don't think any of us were going to go off the deep end about it....just having a discussion. :001_smile:

Actually, they did say that there have been deaths from people inhaling helium directly from balloons. As the case of Lorraine confirms.

A young teenager died here a few years ago after inhaling helium from a birthday balloon in her bedroom.:sad:

If you watched the video, the parents say it has happened from a balloon.

This was my initial reaction. Thanks for actually pointing it out.

I've never heard of that--it's always been from a pressurized container.

Maybe it wasn't helium, but gas from a "whippet." Sometimes they unload the whippet gas into a balloon and inhale that. It is not the same kind of gas.

ETA--Ah, nm. It was helium, but it was pressurized. Inhaling from a balloon isn't harmful.

I'm surprised at how many people state their opinions as facts. It can happen with a balloon according to different sources. When you say stuff like the bolded part without having all the facts, you mislead people.

I called ds12 to the computer to tell him to never inhale anything but especially not helium from the cannister.

He said, 'yeah, I know because it could burst your lunch. Too much pressure.'

:glare:

"It could burst your lunch". :lol: Is that what he said or is that your typo? :lol:

I guess the point really is that the girl did something stupid at the party because of peer pressure. She didn't want to do it, according to her friends that were there, but she did anyway. Sometimes (I guess in my case)....I might not think to tell my kids about something like this. I might just assume they would know, or that they won't be in a situation like that anyway. But, now that I heard about it....I think it's wise to inform my kids about it. They might think that if it's ok to inhale helium from a balloon (if they see other people do this...have seen it on tv...and nothing bad every happens...or they haven't heard that it's dangerous).....they might think a puff from a helium tank is the same thing. Wrong.

Frankly I don't care if it is thought to be "safer" to inhale from a balloon. I tell my kids that if it is not designed to be injested or inhaled naturally it is not safe.

NOw if they were in a situation like was mentioned further up about using helium in underwater chambers that is a special circumstance. THat is not inhaling something that is not made for inhaling for fun.

The other part of it all isn't to freak my kids out about helium but to show the potential risks of peer pressure and giving in to it.

I've never heard of that--it's always been from a pressurized container.

Maybe it wasn't helium, but gas from a "whippet." Sometimes they unload the whippet gas into a balloon and inhale that. It is not the same kind of gas.

ETA--Ah, nm. It was helium, but it was pressurized. Inhaling from a balloon isn't harmful.

A quick search on the internet:

Don't do this and stop anyone who does.....

Evidence has proven that the inhalation of helium can be fatal, yet thousands of party goers continue to inhale helium thinking it to be incredibly funny rather than life threatening. The inhalation of helium cuts off a person's supply of oxygen and can cause dizziness, unconsciousness and ultimately death. If the concentration of oxygen is decreased below 18% within the human body, symptoms and signs of Asphyxia can occur. Helium gas can totally displace the available oxygen and if this is maintained for even a few seconds, asphyxia and death can and will occur.

Also:

Coral Jordan McDowell - known as Jordan - died on November 14, 2010 after inhaling helium from a balloon and suffocating. The Monkstown Community School pupil had just turned 13 the previous week.

A quick search on the internet:

Don't do this and stop anyone who does.....

Evidence has proven that the inhalation of helium can be fatal, yet thousands of party goers continue to inhale helium thinking it to be incredibly funny rather than life threatening. The inhalation of helium cuts off a person's supply of oxygen and can cause dizziness, unconsciousness and ultimately death. If the concentration of oxygen is decreased below 18% within the human body, symptoms and signs of Asphyxia can occur. Helium gas can totally displace the available oxygen and if this is maintained for even a few seconds, asphyxia and death can and will occur.

Also:

Coral Jordan McDowell - known as Jordan - died on November 14, 2010 after inhaling helium from a balloon and suffocating. The Monkstown Community School pupil had just turned 13 the previous week.

That's the case I was referring to here in N.Ireland.

Wow, that's very sad! I've done the helium from a balloon thing myself to be silly (I can't remember when that last happened, but I've done it) and I never thought THAT could kill you. I just called my 11 y/o over and talked to her about this and told her never to do it and why and told her about some of these stories, and she agreed that she wouldn't!

Oh good grief! What is wrong with me! LUNGS. I must have had lunch on the brain.

I thought so. Heehee.....it was funny though. In fact, "lunch on the brain" is a bit funny in itself too. :lol:

Wow, that's very sad! I've done the helium from a balloon thing myself to be silly (I can't remember when that last happened, but I've done it) and I never thought THAT could kill you. I just called my 11 y/o over and talked to her about this and told her never to do it and why and told her about some of these stories, and she agreed that she wouldn't!

The poor parents on the Today Show....especially the mom. I don't know if you watched the clip...but she had to keep breathing slow and try to calm herself. I mean....their dd just died like 11 days ago. But, they wanted to be interviewed to raise awareness (not just about helium). I'm thankful they had the courage to do that.

They have a website: ashleyshope.org

yeah...Helium can indeed be bad, you pass out if you inhale it too much. neither my husband nor I had heard of this till my 10 year old passed out at his bday party, trying to talk like daddy... scariest moment of my life.

He's laughing, giggling, breaths in, ..... thud..... out cold on the floor. :scared:

Only adults get to do that at our house now, and even then very, very, rarely.