Menu

Scholastic Dollar Sale on Again

sewingmama

I always love to hear what others have bought and liked. I don't need another $1 book, unless you want to tell me I do! :D

I purchased all the Easy to Make & Learn books by Donald Silver and Patricia Wynne.

It's great that they are PDFs because you have to copy from the book anyway...

I ordered

Lift and flap time line american history

read draw remember american history activities

hands on history colonial america

hands on history civil war

hands on history explorers

hands on american revolution

hands on pioneers

ready to go super book of outline maps

and some literature guides

playful poems that build reading skills

Anyone know how often they do these sales? I just bought 5, but there are a couple more that I'm thinking about. I can wait if I know that there will be more sales like this.

I bought:

Weather Early Childhood Thematic Books

Early Themes: All About Me: Inside and Out

Circle-Time Poetry: Science

Lift & Look Science Mini-Books and Manipulatives

Write & Read Books Science

Yeah, they're all science themed. We currently don't do anything with science, other than what we do with Classical Conversations. I plan to spend more time on Science next year.

Edited by amselby81

Anyone know how often they do these sales? I just bought 5, but there are a couple more that I'm thinking about. I can wait if I know that there will be more sales like this.

I bought:

Weather Early Childhood Thematic Books

Early Themes: All About Me: Inside and Out

Circle-Time Poetry: Science

Lift & Look Science Mini-Books and Manipulatives

Write & Read Books Science

Yeah, they're all science themed. We currently don't do anything with science, other than what we do with Classical Conversations. I plan to spend more time on Science next year.

Pretty often. Sometimes they change the books though.

Thanks for posting!

I bought:

1st Grade Basic Skills: Dot-to-Dots, Mazes, Word Searches

Teaching Science With Favorite Picture Books

1st Grade Basic Skills: Reading and Math: Thinking Skills

Read, Snack & Learn With Favorite Picture Books

Easy Make & Learn Projects: The Pilgrims, the Mayflower & More

50 Fabulous Measurement Activities

Move & Learn Math Activities

Fast Facts: Addition & Subtraction

2nd Grade Basic Skills: Dot-to-Dots, Mazes, Word Searches

Marvelous Map Activities For Young Learners

I used the code pp posted and got them all for $7! :)

My kids enjoyed the various math puzzlers last summer for their summer math. We've used various history paper crafts with great success. I have gobs of these but only use a small percentage. At 1.00 each, they are nice to have on hand to supplement!

The make and learn body book is excellent!

Thanks for the coupon code!!!

Holy crappola! I have 8 more books in my basket. I'm trying not to be impulsive. I think I was earlier, b/c I just took another look at my list and am wondering why on earth I got the circle time book.:001_unsure: LOL! The poems and activities looked neat, so I didn't even notice it said "circle time." I'm sure I can make it work with DD.

Anyway, I'm so torn. I feel like DD probably won't be ready for some of these books for at least another year, so I should probably wait. But then I think about the fact that they are only $1 each! (70 cents w/the promo code.) I'm so not sure what to do.

This is what's in my basket right now:

-Write and Learn Word Family Practice Pages

-Month by Month Thematic Staionery (Totally unecessary, but so totally neat!)

-15 Reproducible Cut and Paste Mini Dictionaries

-Pre Writing Practice Pages (She might be above this, but she still needs practice with the fine motor skills needed for writing. And I could always use these down the road with my younger DD)

-25 Easy Non-Fiction Mini Books

-Math Mats and Games Money

-Math Mats and Games Measurement

-Math Mats and Games Time

I had said I was not going to buy any more this time around (I won't even mention how many I got last time :lol:) but I have several I still want. We have been using quite a few and will be using more with my youngest too.

Thank you to the OP for posting about it. I was in their website a few days prior wanting to buy another one of their coloring books for my little guy (he really likes the one we have) but it was up to regular price. Glad I waited :D!

Thank you to the poster that mentioned the 30% coupon too.

I'm getting these books for $7.70 with the discount code!

Grammar Puzzles & Games Kids Can't Resist!

50 Great States Read & Solve Crossword Puzzles

Instant Map Skills: World

Ready-to-Go Super Book of Outline Maps

Hands-On History: Explorers

Speedy Math Practice: Multiplication

Origami Math: Grades 2-3

Logic Posters, Problems, & Puzzles

1st Grade Basic Skills: Dot-to-Dots, Mazes, Word Searches

2nd Grade Basic Skills: Dot-to-Dots, Mazes, Word Searches

Word Wall Practice! Homophones

The titles certainly do change. There are some great ebooks I bought that have not been featured in the last few sales, so I don't like to talk about them much anymore, as at full price they are just not worth it for people to buy. I am more prone now to buy titles that I think I MIGHT want in the future. Also some of the books I might never USE, but just reading them, thinking of them as an article, has taught me a lot.

I like the Cinderella book a LOT. It is great to include in Geography studies.

I'm still studying Paragraph Power and am impressed with it so far. The 2 paragraph reports that come with a rubric look especially useful for remedial students. I'm finding that many of the people coming to me to be tutored, are being expected to produce 2 to 3 paragraph papers and responses. Although they are not expected to produce rigidly organized paragraph structure, these students are wanting a template to fall back on when under the pressure of testing. The typical 1 and 5 paragraph models haven't been useful to them, and just winging it, isn't working either.

I also got some sort of holiday craft book, I forget the title. It has a 3 dimensional squirrel on the front, that I want to make...just...for the fun of it :-) I've always loved squirrels since I moved to this country.

For those of you who have been reading Waldorf lately, but don't have the art skills, money or time to implement it, this http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/dollardeals/early-learning-with-puppets-props-poems-songs will provide some quick props to play with.

There are lots of number stories that could just fuel the imagination of the more able moms who can draw.

This is more of a resource than it first looks to be.

Blasted! My DD just saw me looking at this and just has to have it. :001_rolleyes:

For those of you who have been reading Waldorf lately, but don't have the art skills, money or time to implement it, this http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/dollardeals/early-learning-with-puppets-props-poems-songs will provide some quick props to play with.

There are lots of number stories that could just fuel the imagination of the more able moms who can draw.

I bought that one the last time :D. It is a great resource that I am looking forward to using soon!

Thank you for posting about this and the coupon code. I spent quite a lot of time yesterday looking through the books. I ended up getting 17...well, 16 at first, because I somehow double ordered one, but I just emailed them to ask for an "exchange" for a different download link and they sent it to me. So, they have great customer service, too!

Thank you for posting about this and the coupon code. I spent quite a lot of time yesterday looking through the books. I ended up getting 17...well, 16 at first, because I somehow double ordered one, but I just emailed them to ask for an "exchange" for a different download link and they sent it to me. So, they have great customer service, too!

That's good to know! I am expecting this to happen to me one of these days :lol:. I have been back and forth with my folder open to make sure I don't buy the same book twice since we already have many of their books but I have a feeling I will probably end up doing that at some point. It is good to know it can be exchanged :)!

ETA: Thank you for posting about that ;)

Did you all see Little Kids Cook? If you need a rubric to grade cooking :-)

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/little-kids-cook

I enjoy having and collecting resources for myself, but also for when friends need to help their nieces and nephews with homework. Today a friend spent hours here collecting what she needed to help her niece with a Uranus project. Little by little as things are on sale, at outdoor book sales, and wherever, I collect the good stuff. I like playing librarian in my own private library :-)

I'm going to have to do something to organize my online library, because I really don't know what I have :-(

I purchased all the Easy to Make & Learn books by Donald Silver and Patricia Wynne.

It's great that they are PDFs because you have to copy from the book anyway...

There are only 4 of these on sale right? Habitats, Pilgrims, Colonial and Southwest Indian?

The more that I am adopting the idea of creating and acting out stories, to teach math, the more I'm interested in some quick props.

Marie, I'm so glad to see you here. I missed you! I'll e-mail you soon :-)

Edited by Hunter

There are only 4 of these on sale right? Habitats, Pilgrims, Colonial and Southwest Indian?

The more that I am adopting the idea of creating and acting out stories, to teach math, the more I'm interested in some quick props.

There is also Human Body.

Take your time, you know how good I am at keeping up with e-mails :tongue_smilie:! Good to see you too :D!

Hey Hunter, did you check out the ones with the Plays that I was telling you about?

Here are a couple I have on my list:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/read-aloud-plays-tall-tales

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/20-terrific-mini-plays-that-build-reading-skills

There are some higher grade ones too.

I think plays are an area where I am seriously lagging behind you in implementing. I've learned that if I don't yet see the worth of a resource you recommend, that I need to take more time looking at it, so I will.

Acting has never been a strength or joy of mine, so I haven't given it much heed. The fact that it isn't a strength is exactly the reason I should devote some time to it, I think.

Has anyone else been buying the plays? What am I missing out on? Convert me.

Someone needs to stop me. I've bought 8 more. So I now have 23. Everytime I look I see something that I think we might like. There are even some ebooks with mp3's!!! I got this book, and it took me awhile to realize how to open the music files, but they're there! I didn't have itunes, and nothing I tried would open the mp3's. I installed itunes and tada! I'm now listening to the songs as I am typing this.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/dollardeals/sing-along-and-learn-around-the-year-with-audio-cd

Edited by amselby81

I think plays are an area where I am seriously lagging behind you in implementing. I've learned that if I don't yet see the worth of a resource you recommend, that I need to take more time looking at it, so I will.

Acting has never been a strength or joy of mine, so I haven't given it much heed. The fact that it isn't a strength is exactly the reason I should devote some time to it, I think.

Has anyone else been buying the plays? What am I missing out on? Convert me.

Drama is part of our curriculum requirements, here in Canada at least. Since I have been researching Autism, I have been reading that lack of pretend play in young children for example, could be a sign of Autism:

http://pediatricneurology.com/autism.htm#The%20Skills%20Involved%20in%20Communication

Malcolm started around the age of two, but Adrian was not really into it. Can't say that I was one for pretend play either! Anyway, it has been one of my concerns, especially for my boy. Luckily, this has been an area that Malcolm has helped Adrian open up in. I want to use the plays to work on that, without him having the pressure of coming up with his own words.

That's my reason behind it ;)!