Menu

Star Wars viewing order

That was really interesting! The guy made some great points about how the plots of the different movies relate to eachother. I'm definitely going to try the Machete order when youngest DD wants to watch them. I never was a big fan of the prequels, but Phantom Menace was definitely the worst!

I loved the link to that YouTube video of the kids watching Episode IV...that was great! :lol:

It is an intriguing notion. However, I don't think I could handle skipping I (which is an ok idea) but watching II (which is, IMO, the most awful of the three prequels by a long shot). But the ordering is interesting. Maybe watch an edited version of I eliminating the idiotic pod race and a lot of JarJar, and maybe some of the ridiculous battle sequence.... Surely someone out there is bored enough to make such a version?

My kids are still much too young, but I'll have to think about it for the future. One cannot be prepared too soon for these important parenting decisions.

Edited by AdventureMoms

I'm going to introduce Star Wars to ds from 1 to 6. Why? Because I think he may enjoy watching Anakin as a sweet little boy. DS is a young boy and the back to front will only confuse him (well, he's only little). Also, watching the first movie after seeing the last three I can see that it is a bit like watching Titanic where you already know what it is going to happen. It takes a lot of the suspense away if you know Anakin is going to survive pretty much everything he encounters and then turn into a baddie. Why care for him in the first place, right? Well, this is MY theory anyway (I know there is a couple of holes in this theory but WTH).

One cannot be prepared too soon for these important parenting decisions.

Wise you are.

Did anyone watch Titanic not knowing what was going to happen?

HAHAHA!!!

My dd5 and dd3.5 recently got into Star Wars. It started with the Star Wars ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios that really whetted their appetite.

My dh has been watching the Clone Wars cartoon with them. What's everyone's thoughts on those? I'm not a purist, having come to the franchise late in life. But my dh is a diehard fan. Knows all these weird facts and names, etc.

For those interested, I recently did a blog post about Star Wars invading our home. We found some awesome (and CHEAP) light saber alternatives. :)

I like it.

Of course, I'm a Star Wars purist, and I think the pre-quels are dreadful and refuse to watch them ever again. I also always say Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. None of that "A New Hope" stuff. :tongue_smilie:

That's how we refer to them here, too.

Interesting about the order of watching. My ds's are older (17 and 14) and saw the originals first in order. Not the cgi-enchanced ones, either, with creatures walking around Mos Eisley and all that. We still have the old old ones on VHS. So I had no idea Anakin had been replaced in Return of the Jedi.

I think my ds's are Star Wars purists as well. They, too, think the prequels are awful but ds2 liked getting the back story on Anakin. None of us is interested in watching those again. So I guess we'll just watch our old old originals until they die.

Interesting idea. Now that my kids are old enough for marathon-style watching, we might try this. I do wish stupid Hayden wasn't on my ROTJ. I hope Lucas will eventually change that back. Everyone hates it so much, and be did adjust the Han/Greedo scene:

Did anyone watch Titanic not knowing what was going to happen?

Well, my dds watched out without knowing which movie characters were going to live and/or be redeemed. It is shocking the first time jerky guy takes a toddler and gets on a lifeboat.

My kids are still much too young, but I'll have to think about it for the future. One cannot be prepared too soon for these important parenting decisions.

:lol:

Unfortunately we've watched them in random order for years. We've been known to spend Christmas Day doing a marathon while putting together Star Wars Lego kits (because, you know, Star Wars and Christmas go hand-in-hand, right?). My kids are ruined. First we decided to homeschool them, and now we showed them Star Wars in the wrong order.:svengo:

Younger dd really liked the young Anakin of Phantom Menace when she was younger, btw.

. . . because, you know, Star Wars and Christmas go hand-in-hand, right?

Here, too! We watch Star Wars on Christmas Day and the Marx Brothers on New Year's Eve.

Didn't TBS used to do a Star Wars marathon for Christmas--back when there was only the original trilogy? I think that may be how our tradition started. And I think it was TCM that did Marx Bros on NYE.

I like it.

Of course, I'm a Star Wars purist, and I think the pre-quels are dreadful and refuse to watch them ever again. I also always say Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. None of that "A New Hope" stuff. :tongue_smilie:

This. And Han shot first.