Menu

We are loving Grammerland!

5LittleMonkeys

Just wanted to mention how much we are loving Grammarland by M.L. Nesbit so those who aren't familiar with it can look into it. It can be found on Amazon, librivox, google books, and probably many other places I haven't come across.

I have seen more retention and carry through to her writing and even Latin in the first 4 chapters than I did in half a year of a formal grammar program. We are doing activities to go with each chapter (those suggested in the story as practice for the children in Schoolroomshire) and have also been creating a grammar lapbook.

It is wonderful and makes me cringe to think of going back to a formal program next year.

Anyway just wanted to share!

I hadn't really looked at it before, but it seems interesting!!

Two questions...

1. What ages would this be best for? I have an advanced 9 year old. He loves Life of Fred and Grammar Island, and this seems quirky like those, and therefore right up his alley!!

2. Does anyone have the Kindle version?? Would that be missing anything you get in a hard copy? (I see that above you say it would be fine to listen to it, so I'm guessing the Kindle version would also work fine.)

Thanks!!

Aime,

You are the second friend of mine to rave about GL. I may have it on my kindle--guess I need to get it out and look at it! What ages do you think? I'm afraid it's probably too young for my 7th grader and too old for my 1st grader...

I think late 2nd, 3rd and a 4th\5th with no prior grammar would do best with it. IMO late 2nd\3rd being the prime audience. It all depends on the dc too. However, it is a cute story and I caught dd12 doing some stealth listening in the other day.:D

We love Grammarland too! If the OP is looking for something similar in style for next year check out MCT's Grammar Island/Town/Voyage series from Royal Fireworks Press.

Does anyone know if Grammarland's author is related to Edith Nesbit of Five Children and It fame?

We love Grammarland too! If the OP is looking for something similar in style for next year check out MCT's Grammar Island/Town/Voyage series from Royal Fireworks Press.

Does anyone know if Grammarland's author is related to Edith Nesbit of Five Children and It fame?

This is my plan exactly. We are working through The Sentence Family right now and pulling the parts of speech as we learn about them from our WWE sentences. I write the sentence on our white board and dd uses our colored Expo markers to underline the part of speech that we are working on and the parts of speech we've previously covered in the sentence.

Once we finish up WWE and the Sentence Family, then we are going to move on to Grammarland and the worksheets as a fun review before starting MCT Island for 3rd grade. Then continue through Town and Voyage.

After that, I have no plan! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by pw23kids

You know I looked at this at the beginning of the year and was a bit frightened of it since I had only ever done formal grammar with my oldest. I think now that I've discovered this style of doing grammar, and it seems to be a wonderful fit for dd9, I will definitely revisit MCT. Thanks for the reminder!

We are working through The Sentence Family right now and pulling the parts of speech as we learn about them from our WWE sentences.

Once we finish up WWE and the Sentence Family, then we are going to move on to Grammarland and the worksheets as a fun review

I'm doing exactly the bolded parts. I'm using The Sentence Family along with Ruth Heller and Brian Cleary books, and then we'll do GrammarLand with the worksheets, although I like the lapbook idea too!

I hadn't really looked at it before, but it seems interesting!!

Two questions...

1. What ages would this be best for? I have an advanced 9 year old. He loves Life of Fred and Grammar Island, and this seems quirky like those, and therefore right up his alley!!

2. Does anyone have the Kindle version?? Would that be missing anything you get in a hard copy? (I see that above you say it would be fine to listen to it, so I'm guessing the Kindle version would also work fine.)

Thanks!!

Yes, I have the same 9 yo, only the female version :D and she adores grammarland. We are finishing it tomorrow, and she is so sad! We use the Kindle.