Menu

Favorite SOTW / Ancient History order

Joyoflearning

My oldest is a very advanced will be 6 year old who can devour books independantly (although we do plenty of reading together as well). I have a very poor grasp on Ancient History but a good grasp on Biblical History-I lack the knowledge of how these events tie together and what stories belong to which cultures.

I've been looking at several schedules for Ancient history, many that incorporate SOTW but in different orders. Some of the schedules include Biblioplan, HO, easy classical, and TOG. Perhaps there are more. Do you prefer one of these programs with SOTW tied in or the order of SOTW as is? Which schedule makes the most sense when trying to understand chronological ancient history and the different cultures? I could probably give dd books from any of the schedules and she will learn plenty, but I want the ability to be able to explain how events tie together. Which schedule would be the best for my own self-education?

I love History Odyssey. It is a nice tie-in of history, literature, and geography.

I prefer the civilization-oriented approach to SOTW's time approach (HO is still mostly chronological, but it breaks the civ's into fewer pieces) because that feels less disjointed to the way my mind works. It still uses SOTW as a spine; you'll just read the chapters out of order and supplement them with some great outside materials.

I also like the flexible format. Everything is laid out or you, but you can still pick and choose... Your child will still learn even if you do not weave a hut out of grass or whatever (I made up that activity, btw).

The geography will orient you in space. If you want it, you will recognize some Biblical events in Usborne (the encyclopedia used by HO) as well as SOTW, but it s not an overtly religious curriculum.

Hope that helps!

I don't think this is really what you are looking for since it isn't a schedule, but what about reading through SWB's The History of the Ancient World and taking notes as you read? I learned a lot from that book and plan to re-read it soon. Prior to homeschooling, most of us probably felt somewhat foggy on the details/ events of ancient history, so don't feel too bad :001_smile:.

My daughters are in 1st and kinder. We use SOTW + activity book and a timeline. So far I find that my daughters are getting a good understanding of the flow of history. Although SOTW is not entirely in chronological order, it is working for us because we always go back to our timeline to place events and people. I also use a Bible History timeline to add people and events SOTW leaves out. BTW, I use the timeline and figures from Homeschool In The Woods. These are great!

Mystery of History is another curriculum which mixes in Biblical and Secular history.

Feel free to ask any other questions. :001_smile:

Thanks for the great replies! Here are some more questions?

Does Biblioplan schedule all the chapters of SOTW or just some of them?

I like that they give a 3 day schedule (which would be perfect) but I wanted to supplement with more books from SOTW. I like their teachers notes (companion) because I feel that might help me with more understanding. Does anything else have good teachers notes like this? I also like the timeline. What is it that others have enjoyed or not enjoyed about Biblioplan? If you bought this which parts did you use? I find that I would want stuff from the k-2 and the other level so then it's getting closer to the price of TOG and there aren't free updates.

I like that HO uses the resources I already own, but what does it offer that the free 2 day workbook does not other than scheduling in the Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbors book (also scheduled in SOTW) and the History Pockets? Would I be paying for just a schedule?

I love, Love, LOVE the look of TOG but I want easy planning for this next year with new baby. I think they would be great for the self-education, but I don't know how practical it is to use it this next year. Would it be worthwhile to do SOTW where it corresponds to TOG and use the teacher notes for myself each week?

I have seen the Streams of Civilization book recommended for several curriculums but haven't seen inside the book. Does it have a timeline with all the information that I could use to reference? Would it help Me tie everything together? Are there any other pre-made timelines with all the info already added that I could use?

Thanks for the great replies! Here are some more questions?

I like that HO uses the resources I already own, but what does it offer that the free 2 day workbook does not other than scheduling in the Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbors book (also scheduled in SOTW) and the History Pockets? Would I be paying for just a schedule?

....use?

I'm not sure what free two-day workbook that is?

With each unit, there is a generous list of literature references. I really like the maps; they are very clear. I personally did not care for the SOTW AG when I read through it in the bookstore, so I didn't buy it (the activities just didn't suit my kids; that is obviously a personal judgment call, and obviously plenty of folks do enjoy it). I like the emphasis on the other resources beyond SOTW.

There is a pretty generous free download available at the Pandia Press website; several weeks' worth of lessons that you can preview for yourself.

FYI, I was skeptical, but if you can find them at a reasonable price, I highly recommend the Ancient Rhymes from Anient Times books. Maybe not highbrow poetics, but very fun, and a fun way to remember some key points in history.

My daughter is a little older but this was our first year homeschooling and we went with History Odyssey (for Early Modern times). next year, for a variety of reasons, we'll start with Ancients. I decided not to get the HO for it and instead to find something that would let me read SOTW in order. To me, HO took something that's written as a narrative, a story, and made it into little pieces that were about the same topic but not really connected. I felt like the connections got a little lost in HO.

Next year we'll use the Ancient history curriculum from Classical House of Learning primarily because it takes SOTW in order. I'll miss the blackline map activities that HO added, though I think I can probably get those elsewhere. We also really loved using the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia, as suggested in HO. We'll continue using that, as well as continue using our timeline.

I'm not sure what free two-day workbook that is?

With each unit, there is a generous list of literature references. I really like the maps; they are very clear. I personally did not care for the SOTW AG when I read through it in the bookstore, so I didn't buy it (the activities just didn't suit my kids; that is obviously a personal judgment call, and obviously plenty of folks do enjoy it). I like the emphasis on the other resources beyond SOTW.

There is a pretty generous free download available at the Pandia Press website; several weeks' worth of lessons that you can preview for yourself.

I remembered looking at the HO sample before but could only find the one day sample the other day when I was looking for it. I'm not sure how I missed it, but I just found it again. I'll look over it some more. Thanks :tongue_smilie:

Here's a link to the free 2 day workbook.

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/sotw-i-workbook-pages----two-day-a-week-format/3018696

My daughter is a little older but this was our first year homeschooling and we went with History Odyssey (for Early Modern times). next year, for a variety of reasons, we'll start with Ancients. I decided not to get the HO for it and instead to find something that would let me read SOTW in order. To me, HO took something that's written as a narrative, a story, and made it into little pieces that were about the same topic but not really connected. I felt like the connections got a little lost in HO.

Next year we'll use the Ancient history curriculum from Classical House of Learning primarily because it takes SOTW in order. I'll miss the blackline map activities that HO added, though I think I can probably get those elsewhere. We also really loved using the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia, as suggested in HO. We'll continue using that, as well as continue using our timeline.

Take a look at MapTrek. They have nice maps, and provide both student blanks and full-color keys, plus regional and world grids for drawing your own either by copying or from memory. FYI they do contain a blend of solid history and Biblical content (ancients version); I know that is an issue for some people in either direction.

I like the downloadable version so I can print at will.