Menu

Invisible Mom

I don't mind being invisible, but, most of the things she lists doing I make my kids do for themselves. For example, they're not allowed to ask me what time it is-- the have legs and can walk to a clock. They help vacuum, cook, and so on. I've always been careful to put some of the weight on them. I grew up in a house where I was asked to do nothing at all and let me tell you-- it was a shock to get into the real world and realize my clothes didn't magically wash themselves or pick themselves up off the floor. I want my kids to be able to maintain a house, laundry, cooking on their own if they ever have to.

I don't mind being invisible, but, most of the things she lists doing I make my kids do for themselves.

I imagined she was a mother of little ones, who can't yet do things like vacuum (much as they'd like to!) or tell time for themselves.

I think we do gradually "reappear" as our children mature and become more independent. :)

I imagined she was a mother of little ones, who can't yet do things like vacuum (much as they'd like to!) or tell time for themselves.

I think we do gradually "reappear" as our children mature and become more independent. :)

I so so hope this is true. My older two are a tad independent but it's such an ordeal just to get through the day right now. The amount of work that caring for and homeschooling 4 children is just staggering to me sometimes.

I have a master's degree. I struggle sometimes with the "point" of all of this. EVERYTHING I do all day is undone in a matter of minutes and has to be redone the next day. It's exhausting and discouraging sometimes. :(