Menu

Excited for the new changes to Sonlight!

lovintolearn

They already announced last week that they were not putting the descriptions back in because their research and convention-lookers say they like it better without.

Who are these people?!? :001_smile: How on earth can anyone like it better without the book descriptions? I really just can't believe that is true. Perhaps it just saves them enough in printing costs to make it worthwhile for them. I always look at Winter Promise and am tempted just because they do such a great job marketing the books. I would think SL would lose new sales over it. Their catalog change certainly isn't going to make me stop using a program I love, but if I were just starting to look for something and wasn't able to attend a convention, I doubt very much I would be drawn to it.

Well, I guess I am fortunate that I have every catalog I've ever received from them, so I can just thumb through the old ones. I think it's too bad, though.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I was one of those people who used Sonlight's catalog as a reading list ... to supplement the BJU history curriculum we used.

I finally realized that my kids were happier with a literature-based curriculum, even though they knew school would "take longer." :001_smile: I've purchased gently used Sonlight cores since the kids were in junior high. For our family, switching to Sonlight was the single best curriculum move I've ever made. My kids got their "love of learning" back. And it didn't make a bit of difference on their Stanford achievement testing, learning from "real books" as opposed to "textbooks."

My heart is sad, next year my daughter will be a senior in high school, the last year to use Sonlight.

:grouphug:

I love Sonlight too, But I am using it as a guide and a bit of a road map....and for all of my homeschooling kids. Although the core we are using is meant for kids younger than dd and older than ds's, it is a perfect fit. Dd is using the LA and loves the creative writing, but she is that kind of kid. I am sure it would drive my boys batty:D

Dd loves the dictation assignments and the step by step instruction for the writing projects. She is now writing a mystery.....Gosh Scooby!!

I am trying to use my manual more thoroughly, but it is ALL OVER THE PLACE. The book notes in one stack, the LA in another, one schedule for this...one schedule for that....

We have only been through 9 weeks of the manual, and we started in September!! It moves at breakneck speed....BUT, we are way slowed down and HEAVILY supplemented.

Anyway, I am curious to see what Sonlight unrolls this year....seems they are getting a younger advisory set....Holzmann kids and other younger educative. I am not sure if that is good or not.....but, am open to see.

I used Sonlight my first year out....back then we used SL level 6...which is now Core W.

Some of the books are the same.....some new ones:D

The schedule looks completely different, and back then they used BJU as the spine Hx text:tongue_smilie: blech!! That book was awful!

They used BJU spelling and writing, Saxon math ( which was scheduled in the main manual wich was Bound like a softcover book.

My Core W manual is 3-4 times THICKER, 3 hole punched, and the book notes are in a separate section, which I find a big giant pain in the butt.

Anyway, just thought someone would like a little blast to the past with Sonlight

Faithe

Over on the SL forums, a question was asked about the LA and Readers both coming with the core now and if you could get different levels for LA and Readers with a core. She was told no, and that SL has always recommended you stay at the same level for Readers and LA and she should go down to the level of LA for Readers and just supplement the Readers herself.

I didn't think she was speaking of the new stuff.

Oh but yes most recommend staying with the writing level of the child vs the book level. reading books for those that have advanced readers will probably always be a struggle to fit just right.

They already announced last week that they were not putting the descriptions back in because their research and convention-lookers say they like it better without.

I find this really sad. Without the catalog I would never have purchased my first SL Core. I have moved from the company for many reasons but the catalog was what first drew me to a literature based approach and from there to WTM. SL was a wonderful stepping off point for us in our homeschool journey. I would never buy a core with LA included for the lower levels, so I guess it's good that we have moved on.

Edited by melmichigan

I find this really sad. Without the catalog I would never have purchased my first SL Core. I have moved from the company for many reasons but the catalog was what first drew me to a literature based approach and from there to WTM. SL was a wonderful stepping off point for us in our homeschool journey. I would never buy a core with LA included for the lower levels, so I guess it's good that we have moved on.

That's what many, many of us had said about the catalog on the SL forums, that it was the book descriptions that drew us in, that selling hundreds of dollars of books without descriptions beyond a fluff-piece about the core is ridiculous, that people truly interested in a literature curriculum are going to want to READ about the the actual books, that we won't recommend SL to our friends without a description of just what all those hundreds of dollars are giving you, etc., and we've been told that SL is "listening" to us, but that their research and people at conventions say that they prefer the long fluff-piece about the core over the book descriptions and they're not going to do both. The only feedback they're interested in is about their website and going digital.

:iagree: with you about the LA. I really liked the old LA too. My older kids learned so much while using it. I've managed to find a couple of levels of it secondhand which is good. I would love to get hold of the 'old' LA at all levels.

What year LA did you like? I'm always looking for the best thing and I'm liking SL so far (I have an older IG). :)

I am disappointed at the lack of descriptions in the SL catalog. I kept reading they were a great resource and I would have ordered more from them if I had them, but since I didn't, I just bought used.

I must say as a fairly recent "newbie" to being a full time SLer I'm surprised by HOW MANY changes they make each year. I can only presume it's to encourage people to exchange their old IG's for their new ones.

I can understand fixing typos and what not, but major changes do seem odd. Having said that, as I said last night I'm really eager to see the changes they've mentioned. Having the literature notes in each week just makes so much more sense & it was impossible before without moving it each week, kwim? I like to bind my IG's so moving it each week wasn't possible. ;)

I'm still really curious about the changes for sure. :D

What year LA did you like? I'm always looking for the best thing and I'm liking SL so far (I have an older IG). :)

SL completely revamped their LA in 2007 so I like the pre'07 LA. I really like the way all the grammar and skills learning was directly linked to the literature/dictation passages. They had some good writing activities too.

That's never been the advice and I have read there for years. Sounds like miscommunication.

She said SONLIGHT has always advised this, not that everyone who actually knows and uses Sonlight. Just like SONLIGHT advises Core A for kindergarten, but everyone who actually knows and uses it advises P4/5 for kindergarten. Whether or not it is actually the case that Sonlight has actually advised this all along wouldn't surprise me in the least, especially with the changes this year being touted as improvements when they're really just reversing what they changed originally at customer request.

In the intro for the new cores they specifically mentioned that you could still tailor the readers to fit the level you child is at. The LA exercises may be a different case. Generally I found that kids can read a lot better than they write so sticking with say gr 2 exercises and choosing gr 3 readers may actually be sound advice.

That's not at all what's being said. We're talking about tailoring the Readers and LA for those who have children working at different skill levels in those two topics. Yes, you'll still be able to choose (from three choices) your reader level for Cores A-C. But, you will automatically get whichever LA package corresponds with that Readers package.

And a new clarification states that while you'll still be able to buy separate LA IGs (so if your child is reading at Grade 3 but doing Grade 1 LA, you'll have to buy your Core with Grade 3 LA and Readers, and then buy another IG for Grade 1 LA), there will be NO WAY to order a Core IG without a LA component.

That stinks. I want to use Core F (5) for my 10yo next year but we don't want to use their LA or bible and I really don't want to have it sitting on my shelf (I have enough stuff for that!). I'm thinking about just buying the core now but I haven't decided 100% if thats the direction I wanted to go in. :glare:

I'm not sure the Bible will be integrated in the way you're expecting. The materials will just be included in the core package. It never really tied in before but I could be wrong.:)

:iagree:

I always felt there was a disconnect between the bible portion and the rest of the core. We always have opted out of their bible and do our own.

And a new clarification states that while you'll still be able to buy separate LA IGs (so if your child is reading at Grade 3 but doing Grade 1 LA, you'll have to buy your Core with Grade 3 LA and Readers, and then buy another IG for Grade 1 LA), there will be NO WAY to order a Core IG without a LA component.

I asked for clarification of this. The answer is that IGs for Cores A-C will be able to be bought independently of the LA if you don't buy the Core package. But, Core IG purchases for D and up will include LA.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. A lot of good info here that I never thought of. We've been using SL since we started homeschooling about 4 years ago and have love it! With the exception of the LA...we tried it the first year, but it just was not our cup of tea. Since then, we've purchased the Core w/o the LA.

I will say that when I got the email regarding the changes, I was excited, but now I"m not so sure. Thinking about purchasing the Core now before the new ones are released and then depending on the reviews exchange for thew newer version if necessary. What do you all think?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. A lot of good info here that I never thought of. We've been using SL since we started homeschooling about 4 years ago and have love it! With the exception of the LA...we tried it the first year, but it just was not our cup of tea. Since then, we've purchased the Core w/o the LA.

I will say that when I got the email regarding the changes, I was excited, but now I"m not so sure. Thinking about purchasing the Core now before the new ones are released and then depending on the reviews exchange for thew newer version if necessary. What do you all think?

As annoyed as I am about being strung along over the next month, I'm going to wait until I see everything they're willing to show before making my final decision as to whether to buy 2011, 2012, or leave Sonlight. So I guess I'm waiting until March 28 to make my decision.

As annoyed as I am about being strung along over the next month, I'm going to wait until I see everything they're willing to show before making my final decision as to whether to buy 2011, 2012, or leave Sonlight. So I guess I'm waiting until March 28 to make my decision.

I didn't realize you could choose which version to buy, so I'll just hang on to make a decision.

I didn't realize you could choose which version to buy, so I'll just hang on to make a decision.

If you order between now and April 1, you get 2011. If you order April 2, you get 2012. They won't finish telling us what's new until the 28th, at which point I'll decide whether to order then, not order at all, or order on/after April 2.

Does anyone know when can we expect the 2012 catalogs to be mailed?

I don't believe they ever tell you this far in advance. They've told us before when they were mailed, usually at the end of March if everything has gone well. People often get them a week before the beginning of April change over.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know when can we expect the 2012 catalogs to be mailed?

I was told on the SL board it should be online by middle of this week. However, they all ready handed out new catalogs at one of the conventions, so those who have them know of all the book changes for each core. Someone who picked up one of these catalogs shared with me the changes to Core E which was neat. :) There's about 6 new books added in.

I was told on the SL board it should be online by middle of this week. However, they all ready handed out new catalogs at one of the conventions, so those who have them know of all the book changes for each core. Someone who picked up one of these catalogs shared with me the changes to Core E which was neat. :) There's about 6 new books added in.

it is already uploaded

Well, I'm out of range for the target too.

Sadly they are forgetting we had children that used and loved SL the way it was.

Good thing I kept all the old cores and IGs

I actually AM in the range - using P3/4, A, and D this year and P4/5, B, and E next year.:D I use the 4-day program and pretty much do it straight by the book. And I've been told that I'm unusual, so I'm expected to tweak things with the whole 5-day reader/4-day history thing. (I have a big thread over in the Suggestion forum about it LOL.)

I actually AM in the range - using P3/4, A, and D this year and P4/5, B, and E next year.:D I use the 4-day program and pretty much do it straight by the book. And I've been told that I'm unusual, so I'm expected to tweak things with the whole 5-day reader/4-day history thing. (I have a big thread over in the Suggestion forum about it LOL.)

that is sad.

Yes I saw that. I don't get what they are doing at all

Well, I'm out of range for the target too.

Sadly they are forgetting we had children that used and loved SL the way it was.

Good thing I kept all the old cores and IGs

:sad: I sold mine. I'm tempted to buy the IGs for D and E and G with my repurchase discount before April 2nd.

I kind of resent the fact that I spent loads of time figuring out the IG's and after I was able to decipher them, SL decides they are just too complicated for me. Huh? I have ADD, if *I* can figure them out ANYONE can. Grrrrrrr

:sad: I sold mine. I'm tempted to buy the IGs for D and E and G with my repurchase discount before April 2nd.

I kind of resent the fact that I spent loads of time figuring out the IG's and after I was able to decipher them, SL decides they are just too complicated for me. Huh? I have ADD, if *I* can figure them out ANYONE can. Grrrrrrr

Honestly I really didn't get that part. They are going back to some what the way they were, but I think they will find that the book note seperately will work better for most. I really don't get all the flipping people were talking about.

anyay I always pulled out about six weeks worth of work at a time.

I don't understand all the flipping either. I spend most of the time actually reading the books, not reading in the IG. And for the books I'm needing to look at the questions and stuff for, I put a post-it note to find it easily.

But I also have never used the old/new way, with the questions right behind the schedule, so I don't know any other way.

Apparently they didn't "have you in mind" either. When I watch the videos telling how intuitive and how they had us in mind when they redid the IGs (AGAIN), I just want to :banghead:.

Honestly I really didn't get that part. They are going back to some what the way they were, but I think they will find that the book note seperately will work better for most. I really don't get all the flipping people were talking about.

anyay I always pulled out about six weeks worth of work at a time.

me too!

I'm very much looking forward to the changes. I was soooo disappointed when they had the HUGE overhaul of their LA the last time since their old LA worked VERY well for us. I'm soooo looking forward to the new LA because it looks like they are putting in some of what was taken out previously.

As for their Bible program, some years I liked better than others and now I'm looking forward to the notes they're planning on adding to the Bible readings. At least that's what Im understanding from what I've seen, heard and read.