Menu

Need help wording vaccine exemption HELP!

In order to enroll in college classes, I need to have vaccines up to date or fill out an exemption. Usually I just tell people we're opposed but I need to actually fill something out this time. So it you had to write a short paragraph about philosophical reasons why you're against vaccine, what would you say?

First off, I'd check that they actually can require you to write out a statement. Most states cannot. Mothering.com is a good place to ask about this.

It's a tricky thing once you write out a statement - they can refuse to allow your exemption on the basis of it doesn't agree with your statement.

For public K-12 schools, you have to carefully read the law in your state, so that the wording of your statement goes along with the law. However, not sure if there are laws regarding college, and even if there are, if it's a private college, they may be able to create their own policy, in which case you would want to carefully read their policy and tailor your statement to fit the policy. Most of the statements I've seen do not go into the details of the philosophical/religious reasons, they merely state that there are such reasons. I'm sure someone will come along to provide a good website with samples. I have a few exemption letters on my web site that may give you some ideas, even if they aren't specific to your situation - see the "useful forms" page here.

In that case, I would be sure to look up what exemptions are offered by the state the college is in.

For example, if the state only allows religious exemptions, that is what I would claim. Nothing to detailed. "My religious beliefs do not allow for administration of vaccinations".

I doubt you are the their first case, and I doubt they will put any more thought into it. They just need to cover their own rear end and have you fill it out.