Menu

Math Club was a success!~

Thank you for everyone's suggestions! We met for an hour and a half (whew! I'm tired) and played math games, toothpick games, math communication games, did word problems and played "guess my number". I really think everyone (even the kids who "hate math") had a lot of fun. I am already planning my next one!

Good job!

I would love to hear more specifics on what you did. I am not familiar with toothpick games for instance and would like to hear, well, about everything! :D

DD says she doesn't like math, though she's pretty good at it. This sounds like the kind of thing that just might change her mind!

Here's what we did:

1. Kids arrived, and I had two worksheets for them. One was easier, one was challenging. I had them get started on them, working together if they wanted, while we waited for everyone to arrive.

2. When everyone had arrived, I gave them a few more minutes to work on their problems. Then we did toothpick puzzles (matchstick puzzles). We used this book, but I bet you could google to find more. It's awesome :). The kids really liked this, and enjoyed it.

3. Then we played a game called Mathematical Conversations from a Marilyn Burns book. Basically, I used a posterboard divider set up as a "wall". On either side of the posterboard, I set up a group of identical items. For example, on each side, I put a soda can, a coin, 3 pencils, 4 paperclips, a piece of string and an eraser. Then one kid (the "builder") builds something using those items, without the other kid looking. Then he has to use words to describe how the "listener" is to build the exact same thing on his side of the posterboard. It helps if they use terms like parallel, horizontal, perpendicular, vertical, number of inches to the left or right. It really was the highlight of the day--kids really had fun trying to explain verbally how to recreate their "building" to the other kid, and the observers would cheer them on when they got it right. One very bright 6 year old boy with Aspergers made a very complicated structure, and I was thinking "oh, no, this is going to be tough" and he carefully explained how to build it to his partner, and was thrilled when we lifted the barrier and found the exact same structure on the other side. I mean, thrilled! :)

4. Some of the kids played a game called "Don't Make A Triangle". Basically,i printed sheets of paper with the vertices of a hexagon marked by dots. Taking turns, each child drew one straight line from one dot to another. The point is to try to AVOID being the first to make a triangle. Very fun.

5. Then we played "Guess my Number"--basically, I had a number in mind, and would give them hints (I am between 1 and 200, my 10's digit is double my 100's digit..and so on). My 6 year old surprised me by getting one of them first!

Then they played legos for a few minutes before their parents came :D

Oh, and ate snacks!

What a fun idea! Were most the kids the same age/ability? I would love to do this for my son who is very good at math, but currently has a negative attitude about the subject. He is extremely social, though, and would love any kind of club. I probably don't know enough kids right at his age for a club, but if I go a few years older, say 6-9 year olds, I would have enough. I know math ablilities can range quite a bit at these ages. Do you think I could keep the older ones challenged, but not overwhelm the younger kids?

What a fun idea! Were most the kids the same age/ability? I would love to do this for my son who is very good at math, but currently has a negative attitude about the subject. He is extremely social, though, and would love any kind of club. I probably don't know enough kids right at his age for a club, but if I go a few years older, say 6-9 year olds, I would have enough. I know math ablilities can range quite a bit at these ages. Do you think I could keep the older ones challenged, but not overwhelm the younger kids?

We had all different levels and ages, from 6 through 11 or 12. Lots of the games were suitable for all ages. I initially started it as a Challenge Math Club but nobody came :( I think they were all thinking it wouldn't be fun. So designating it as an all-ages, all-levels "Club" seems to work better.

We had all different levels and ages, from 6 through 11 or 12. Lots of the games were suitable for all ages. I initially started it as a Challenge Math Club but nobody came :( I think they were all thinking it wouldn't be fun. So designating it as an all-ages, all-levels "Club" seems to work better.

Thank you!