Menu

Brambly Hedge Unit Study?

4Kiddos

I was wondering if anyone has ever done a unit study on Brambly Hedge. We just purchased "The Complete Brambly Hedge" used and just love it! I was thinking of creating my own unit study (perhaps FIAR style) on this book since my boys love it so much. Has anyone ever done this? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Love, love, love Brambly Hedge.

Let me start by saying I have not done a unit study with it, but I will tell you what we are doing.

This year I wanted to integrate across different areas of study. I picked artists and writers to study who are/were inspired by nature. In this way, we crossed the disciplines of art, literature, and nature study. I did not do anything particular with Brambly Hedge except to read it aloud along with reading The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady. We are going to do more work in our nature journals and I would like to use these books along with others as our inspiration.

I think The Complete Brambly Hedge is wonderful because it gives you all the background on her as a writer and artist.

Love, love, love Brambly Hedge.

Let me start by saying I have not done a unit study with it, but I will tell you what we are doing.

This year I wanted to integrate across different areas of study. I picked artists and writers to study who are/were inspired by nature. In this way, we crossed the disciplines of art, literature, and nature study. I did not do anything particular with Brambly Hedge except to read it aloud along with reading The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady. We are going to do more work in our nature journals and I would like to use these books along with others as our inspiration.

I think The Complete Brambly Hedge is wonderful because it gives you all the background on her as a writer and artist.

What an inspiring post! Mine might be too old for for Brambly Hedge (I've never looked at them), but I just placed a hold at the library for Winer Story. I own and adore The Country Diary... and have been looking for a way to bring it into the fold of nature study. I thought I'd end up using it in older school years, I'm excited at the thought of using it with Brambly Hedge (though I understand it's just a read along)!

Did you make a specific plan for which (and when) books and artists you would cover through out the year? Do you have a reading list and artist list? Are you winging it? I'll check out your blog.

:lurk5:

Thanks for mentioning this series. I've never heard of it before. I think it will go perfectly with the Animals and their Habitats Winter Promise curriculum we are starting in September.

Have you checked out Burgess animal books? I'm so sad that I didn't find these earlier in our homeschool years. Though it didn't stop me from buying a nice fat vintage collection of them at the 2nd hand store. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Thornton-Burgess-Animal-Stories/dp/0486276341/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330560816&sr=1-3