Menu

s/o:FYI: Rod & Staff ABC books

hopeallgoeswell

Can anyone tell me if the Developing the Early Learner books (sold through Sonlight) are like these? I have used DEL books 1-3 twice (and #4 once) already and like the way memory building is worked into them...BUT they don't teach the alphabet or numbers for the most part.

TIA!

Edited to add: Here is the link: http://www.sonlight.com/PR01.html

Edited by hopeallgoeswell

I have never seen the books you are talking about, but did use the R&S ABC workbooks. The numbers are most definitely covered in them. The third book, "Counting with Numbers" introduces numbers and counting and then the skills are continued in other books. I don't remember as much about the letters. It seems there was some very beginning phonics awareness type things. But there is no systematic learning of the letters and sounds in them.

I have both. The R&S are much more basic and the DEL ones develop things like visual skills much better. We use both. R&S is basically busywork/funwork for my 4 yo.

:iagree: We use R&S around age 3/4 and the DEL books more like 4 up to almost 6 depending on which child of mine.

I have never seen the books you are talking about, but did use the R&S ABC workbooks. The numbers are most definitely covered in them. The third book, "Counting with Numbers" introduces numbers and counting and then the skills are continued in other books. I don't remember as much about the letters. It seems there was some very beginning phonics awareness type things. But there is no systematic learning of the letters and sounds in them.

Yes this.

Book D introduces letter shapes (using the alphabet in handwriting practice, but no systematic learning of sounds/letter name). Book D also begins some sound matching (i.e. find the pictures that begin with /sh/). This continues into Book E (and others).

I've never seen Sonlight's books (other than the online sample).