Menu

Is it still necessary to teach our dc how to use a library card catalog?

With most libraries having searchable databases for their books, is it still necessary to teach kids how to look up books with the old subject card-title card-author card system? I see it in our (older) English and reading textbooks, and I've been skipping over those lessons because I don't think it's relevant anymore. What do you say? Are there libraries out there where they still use a card catalog--one with actual cards in a catalog file?

FWIW, I've seen a few standardized test questions on them even on fairly recently released tests. Having said that, if a child can use a computer index and is familiar with library shelves, I think they could look at a card and figure out the answers-they've been things like "this book would be most likely shelved in the same section as"---which requires knowing that fiction is shelved alphabetically by author's last name, and that non-fiction is categorized by subject.

With most libraries having searchable databases for their books, is it still necessary to teach kids how to look up books with the old subject card-title card-author card system? I see it in our (older) English and reading textbooks, and I've been skipping over those lessons because I don't think it's relevant anymore. What do you say? Are there libraries out there where they still use a card catalog--one with actual cards in a catalog file?

I had to show my kids how to use one when we moved to this area, as the library collection was not computerized. There is still at least one library in our area that uses a card catalog.

No. Though I have familiarized my kids with the Dewey Decimal System. It makes it much faster for them to head towards a section they are interested in.

It is nice that they know 930 is Ancient history or 560 is dinosaurs and can go straight to it to browse the books.

Really!? Wow..

I think it's pretty straightforward. I wasn't taught and figured it out.

That said, to me it's right up there with teaching someone how to send a telegraph. :D

My DD built a telegraph key with Snap circuits and then spent a day annoying us with morse code after reading about it in history-so I think she's covered should "How to send a telegraph" appear on a test :).

I think the same test included questions about various media which included pictures of floppy disks and audio tapes. I'm guessing most of the SCHOOLS the test was written to be given in don't have either anymore.

Only if they are taking an old ITBS test :) My boys totally bombed those questions :) Hopefully they have re-vamped the test to meet the current trends.

I wouldn't spend any time on it, but if you happen to find a library that still uses that system, it would make a good field trip. And an older student will pick it up in no time at all.

No. Though I have familiarized my kids with the Dewey Decimal System. It makes it much faster for them to head towards a section they are interested in.

It is nice that they know 930 is Ancient history or 560 is dinosaurs and can go straight to it to browse the books.

Many libraries no longer use the Dewey system for the children's section and some have transitioned to the Library of Congress system entirely. Most University systems are on the Library of Congress system as well. So while Dewey is still useful, it is declining. It will be interesting to see how many libraries drop it over time.

I do not teach it. Nobody around here has one at all.

I have briefly touched of course on how to find books in the library (the shelving systems, numbers). I need to go more in depth about the online catalog, how to use it, what all the abbreviations mean. Good reminder to me to do that.

It's certainly an artifact now, not a tool. I wouldn't consider it necessary -- most children will never see a working card catalog any more than they will a rotary phone -- but certainly knowing how it once worked won't hurt them either.

I haven't seen a card catalog in years. The only one I've heard mentioned recently was used by a friend doing research at a historical site for her dissertation. Apparently their document library is organized with one.

Our piano teacher has a rotary phone. One of mine tried to use it once, and they gave up and got my cell phone.;)

I think teaching the elements of card catalog searching is still a valid exercise. Even the online catalogs are built from the same information set as the old paper cards. If you dig deeply in the search engines you will find they are searching the same information and you need to understand the elements of a "card" to understand the results screen you see on the computer and the elements contained in it. You still need to know Dewey and LC to retrieve your book from the shelf. The information is still important, only the presentation has changed. I would go so far as to argue that the computer systems from institution to institution differ far more greatly than the paper catalog ever did and as a result it is more important to understand the items included in an entry and what or how to search in order to be able to use a variety of different systems during your lifetime.

I think too often in the computer age, people ignore these skills because they find them boring or because they think the computer can find anything. To build the computerized catalogs librarians didn't rethink the whole idea of a catalog, they just moved it to a computer database and eventually were able to build in key word searches and Boolean logic. As a result, I think you still need to understand the system even if the format has changed.

I haven't been in a library with a physical card catalog in years. I teach call number, location, looking up by author, subject, etc., but I wouldn't teach how to use a physical card. The kids are unlikely to encounter it and if they do, they can ask a librarian for help.