Menu

WTM recommendations for logic stage history spine?

There are a bunch, and she no longer suggests that you use them for outlining.

Usborne Internet linked Encyclopedia of World History

Nat. Geographic Almanac of World History

History of the World, DK publishing

History: The definitive Visual Guide, also DK publishing

Nat. Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Timeling

Timelines of World History. DK publishing

I'm hoping I can find it used.

Why does she no longer suggest using the history spines for outlining? Is it because this is covered in Writing With Skill?

No, it's got nothing to do with WWS.

Here is where it can really help to do that search on old history threads in this forum. I am sure I will mess it up trying to type it off the top o'me head.

You do still outline, just not from the encyclopedias. It is all explained in 3rd edition TWTM. There are 6 steps to logic stage history. They don't actually take that long

1. read a section in your chosen encyclopedia. Student makes a list of 6-8 facts. They should be in complete sentences

2. Put dates on timeline (dates are found in encyclopedia)

3. Look at a map and find the places mentioned in the reading

(I have my student do steps 1-3 as a single assignment)

4. and 5. go together in the book: Library trip! The student should choose a topic to read about. Hint: They can look to those 6-8 facts to find something! Then have the student write up a narration. A 5th grader can write just a few sentences. Also, talk to your student about what he or she read.

6. Chose a page of about 250-300 words of one of the history resources and have the student write an outline.

FTR, I don't do the library trip. I have a variety of history books in the house (K12 Human Odyssey and the Oxford series) that I use for assigned readings. Both of those resources are interesting enough for reading and outline beautifully. I also have scads of biographies and other age appropriate resources around the house.

I got the Kingfisher book used for about $4. I really like it. And we do the outlining.:tongue_smilie: I think it's been such a useful step for ds.

I bought the KHE back when the only WTM I had was the 2nd edition that I checked out constantly from the library. The plan was to use the KHE for memorization lists in grammar and then for history outlining in logic stage. When I bought the 3rd WTM and was recently reviewing I was confused because KHE was no longer on there, and the outlining now comes from the addtl books.

I recently bought a used copy of the 2nd edition of WTM. We will be doing logic history from it. That was the original plan, and it seems a little more doable for us. My dd will be expected to give the reports from the addtl books. I think we will be skipping the list of facts that is in the new one.

OT: I re read the logic stage science and was amazed at how different the how to was as well. I realize the methods are basically the same, but for me I just clicked with the 2nd edition's plans better. I now understand why people keep different editions. I won't be giving mine up any time soon!

I bought the KHE back when the only WTM I had was the 2nd edition that I checked out constantly from the library. The plan was to use the KHE for memorization lists in grammar and then for history outlining in logic stage. When I bought the 3rd WTM and was recently reviewing I was confused because KHE was no longer on there, and the outlining now comes from the addtl books.

I recently bought a used copy of the 2nd edition of WTM. We will be doing logic history from it. That was the original plan, and it seems a little more doable for us. My dd will be expected to give the reports from the addtl books. I think we will be skipping the list of facts that is in the new one.

OT: I re read the logic stage science and was amazed at how different the how to was as well. I realize the methods are basically the same, but for me I just clicked with the 2nd edition's plans better. I now understand why people keep different editions. I won't be giving mine up any time soon!

I believe KHE wasn't recommended in the 3rd edition because it went out of print.

I know what you mean about getting confused with the different edition. I can't decide if I want to buy the 3rd edition or just keep checking out the 1st edition from the library. I'm already confused so anything that is going to add to that confusion isn't going to help! :lol:

I believe KHE wasn't recommended in the 3rd edition because it went out of print.

I know what you mean about getting confused with the different edition. I can't decide if I want to buy the 3rd edition or just keep checking out the 1st edition from the library. I'm already confused so anything that is going to add to that confusion isn't going to help! :lol:

:iagree: I hear ya sista! :lol: