Menu

Who recommended reading Beauty for Truth's Sake?

Heidi @ Mt Hope

I just finished Beauty for Truth's Sake: On the Re-enchantment of Education by Stratford Caldecott. It was excellent, and I just wanted to send a "thank-you!" shout-out to whomever recommended it!!

One of my favorite quotes from the beginning:

"No wonder students come to a college education expecting nothing more than a set of paper qualifications that will enable them to earn a decent salary. The idea that they might be there to grow as human beings, to be inducted into an ancient culture, to become somehow more than they are already, is alien to them. They expect instant answers, but they have no deep questions...The process of education requires us to become open, receptive, curious, and humble in the face of what we do not know. The world is a fabric woven of mysteries, and a mystery is a provocation to our humanity that cannot be dissolved by googling a few more bits of information."

It's been on my Amazon wishlist! My wishlist is currently 11 pages long, however. It sounds like I should make it high priority.

Amie, here's my review. It wasn't the easiest read, but I enjoyed it. And I think I'd give it 4 now as I'm thinking back on it instead of 3.5. He also has a blog, Beauty for Truth's Sake, that I enjoy (when I understand it).

There are a couple other ladies here who have rec'd it (Justamouse, I think, is one).

Amie, here's my review. It wasn't the easiest read, but I enjoyed it. And I think I'd give it 4 now as I'm thinking back on it instead of 3.5. He also has a blog, Beauty for Truth's Sake, that I enjoy (when I understand it).

There are a couple other ladies here who have rec'd it (Justamouse, I think, is one).

Excellent review! I am not Catholic either, but I still found it very applicable to my faith and my own education.

I'm thinking justamouse is the one I remember recommending it (with others agreeing). Kinda funny, but I usually make a note of who rec'd it on my Amazon wishlist. ;) I do remember you posting the blog though, and I have it saved in my favorites (now to actually read it). Off to read your review...:auto:

ETA: Just read your review, ladydusk. I'm intrigued! (Oh, and I read your review of Evening in the Palace of Reason ...thanks for that rec as well. I can't wait to get it from my library!)

Edited by Amie

You may also enjoy Gregory Wolfe's new book: "Beauty Will Save the World: Recovering the Human in the Ideological Age".

Greg speaks about the importance of Art and Beauty and its ability to reveal the Truth. He also helped edit a lovely devotional book we've used for Advent for several years, both in our home, and using excerpts at church as part of Advent Sundays: "God With Us". Both books are from a Christian perspective; Catholic, but gently so, with much to say to all to those in all denominations.

Warm regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

You may also enjoy Gregory Wolfe's new book: "Beauty Will Save the World: Recovering the Human in the Ideological Age".

Greg is also a Catholic, and speaks about the importance of Art and Beauty and its ability to reveal the Truth. He also helped edit a lovely devotional book we've used for Advent for several years, both in our home, and using excerpts at church as part of Advent Sundays: "God With Us".

Warm regards, Lori D.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out!