Menu

Should I consider adding Latin?

I just started homeschooling last year. Both my DS (5) & DD (4) are doing K work. As I have been reading, I've noticed people have been teaching their children Latin. I decided to look into it.

What are the benefits? What is a good age to begin? Is this something to even really consider?

Thank you.

Hello and welcome.

I taught both of my sons Latin. It has benefits for brain training, understanding of the English language, background for modern Romance languages and appreciation of classical literature.

That being said, I think that your children's ages are a great time to absorb a modern foreign language. You can add Latin later - it's fine not to do any until the children are ten or older. By then they could be on the way to speaking a living language.

Best wishes

Laura

What are the benefits? What is a good age to begin? Is this something to even really consider?

Thank you.

Absolutely consider! But maybe not this year. Or even next. :)

However, the first year we did Latin my now 12yo was just 5 and he memorized just as nicely as his sisters did. Unfortunately, we kept restarting w/ new Latin curricula every other year or so because I couldn't get beyond the 3rd declension. Now only my 15yo & 12yo are doing Latin (and doing well with it). I do plan to start 9yo & 6yo...maybe with I Speak Latin (which I've not used yet!).

For benefits, check out this "Why Latin?" thread from awhile back.

Learning Latin will have great benefits going forward, both for learning/applying English derivatives and progressing into the romance languages.

I like doing it while they're young because they absorb/memorize so easily. We started with Song School Latin, and they mostly enjoyed coloring. This year we added the simple book work. Now that we've finished SSL, we're working on I Speak Latin (oral, and mostly for fun) and Minimus.

Someday when they transition to live languages, it should be a breeze--at least relatively speaking.