Menu

Pulling DS out of PS at end of school year

I pulled my DD out in March of 4th grade. I filled out the appropriate paperwork (CPI form) and had no issues whatsoever. I just told the school (in writing) that we were going to be homeschooling from xyz date forward and that I would be there to pick up all of her belongings on xyz date.

When I pulled mine out it was spring break--3rd week of March, maybe? It was nine years ago...We were going to see how staying home all together went for the rest of the year and maybe put them back in in the fall. The kids never wanted to go back. The older ones told the younger ones how horrible it was at school, so they don't want to go either.

It didn't trigger anything from anyone. The school district didn't seem to even care--surprised me since I was pulling 4 out and they were getting $7000 each for them. But we were in OR at the time--I don't know how they react in KY.

Edited by stansclan89

My story is the same as above. I pulled my daughter out during Spring Break (March) of grade 4. I figured it was a good time to give it a "trial run" for a few months so we'd know if it seemed feasible to do for the entire following year. It did. :D

I had no problems at all with the school or the board. I was extremely pleasant and enthusiastic with the school--I set up individual meetings with first the classroom teacher and then the principal. With each of them, I explained that my decision had nothing to do with the teacher or the school, but rather that we had always wanted to have a "homeschooling adventure" and this seemed like the right time for it.

They knew me around the school because I had been very involved with field trips, volunteer tutoring, bringing special presentations to the class (like a butterfly release or art appreciation talk), and so on. So I think they knew homeschooling was probably the right calling for someone like me. :) They helped me get the correct paperwork in and offered me their blessing and support, such as an offer to borrow textbooks from school and stay in school choir for the remainder of the year.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. :)

I pulled my dc out in April of third and fourth grades. Of course, I pulled them out as a result of their treatment after I had triggered a police investigation of that particular school/principal, which might have countered any investigation of me.

Edited by higginszoo

Is what you're reading actual law, or is it just someone who lives in that state who is making an observation? Can you post a link to that regulation? I can't even fathom how it would trigger an investigation if you follow the proper procedures.

I know I pulled my youngest dd in the spring one year. I put her in school and took her out every school year from 1st through 5th grades. The only year she stayed in the entire school year was 3rd grade because she had a rocking teacher. Dd rarely stayed in school more than 3 months each year. I live in GA. I never heard a word from anyone.

I withdrew my dd from a private school at Easter break, with only six weeks or so of school left.

I don't see anything in the KY law that would "likely trigger" an investigation by the school system if you withdrew your dc before the end of the school year. :confused:

my bonus student was pulled out at spring break, I thought there would be a problem, since he was getting special services and everyone at the school knew who he was. His mom made sure to do everything legally as she was supposed to do- and we heard not a peep.

I kind of wondered if they were relieved, since they were spending money on special ed classes for him. We are in Ca

Night Elf, it was in a packet of papers given to me by the school when I gave notice of homeschooling next year. It was written by the Ky Home Education Assoc, Christian Home Educators of Ky and Ky Directors of Pupil Personnel.

It says: "Circumstances/evidience which would cause a public school district to have concern about whether or not a bonafide school did exhist, thus causing an investigation to occur, would include, but is not limited to:

1. Notification, after the public school year has begun and at any time other than a semester break, by parent/guardian of intent to withdraw their child(ren) from the public school for the purpose of home schooling; (this would not apply to students moving in from out-of-district)."

Anyone pulled a child out of PS this close to the end of the school year? How did that go over? I was reading the KY HS regulations and it said this would most likely trigger and investigation by the school system.

Really? Why? I guess it just depends on the state's rules for homeschooling.

In AR you only have to give 2 weeks notice by turning in the Notice of Intent to Homeschool'.

My good friend pulled her son out in March of his 5th grade year. He was failing math and science and the entire family was falling apart because my friend was ill. I told her, 'what is the point of having him sit through 3 more months of torture just to have them say he has to go to summer school?'

He wasn't even required to take standardized testing that year....(as required for independent homeschoolers). The testing coordinator gave him a pass since he had been in public school for most of the year.

I pulled my dd out of PS in April of 2010. I'm in CO and all I had to do was to file my intent to homeschool with my local district. I called our district office before I did anything. My state rules say something about a 2 week notice, but the school district didn't require it and said I could pull her out right away.

I just pulled my 7 y.o. out of school before February break... so about two weeks ago. I notified the school on a Monday... Turned in my LOI on a Thursday and had my approval letter the following week before DS was even supposed to return back to school. It was a very positive experience. We are in one of the last two approval states, but it still turned out fine. I'm so glad we did it now instead of waiting! :)

Night Elf, it was in a packet of papers given to me by the school when I gave notice of homeschooling next year. It was written by the Ky Home Education Assoc, Christian Home Educators of Ky and Ky Directors of Pupil Personnel.

It says: "Circumstances/evidience which would cause a public school district to have concern about whether or not a bonafide school did exhist, thus causing an investigation to occur, would include, but is not limited to:

1. Notification, after the public school year has begun and at any time other than a semester break, by parent/guardian of intent to withdraw their child(ren) from the public school for the purpose of home schooling; (this would not apply to students moving in from out-of-district)."

Ok, I found this document. Don't overlook the comments in section A:

Home school representatives of Christian Home Educators of Kentucky and the Kentucky Home Education Association and the officers of the Kentucky Directors of Pupil Personnel Association agree that in the

absence of any mitigating factors the school(s) which have properly notified public school districts should be presumed to be in compliance with the law and operating a bonafide school; thus, necessitating no further investigation.

I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on television :) but it looks to me as if you properly notify the school district that you're withdrawing your dc to teach him at home, then you will be presumed to be in compliance with the law.

There's a sample withdrawal letter on the CHEK site. Seems to me that if you fill in your dc's names, print the letter, and mail it in, then you're in compliance with the law (you'd want to delete the paragraph at the bottom which says that it is recommended that you mail the letter certified, return receipt :D ) and operating as a bonafide school.

Pulled ds out of middle school in late March. There was never a phone call, nothing. As long as we had returned the textbooks there was not a problem. It may have helped that our umbrella sent for his records.

You don't have to justify why you're pulling dc out. It's really no one's business but your own. If you walk in, wave your hands, make a scene, however, it would probably raise a red flag. It's best just to be low key.