Menu

Classical Conversation Foundations people, what do you supplement?

k3bzr18

Hi there!

I am planning on CC Foundations for my 6 yr old this fall, possibly my 4 yr old... I am looking to supplement to compliment this class. Can I ask what you supplement? So far I am looking at SOTW, Saxon math, handwriting with out tears, latin (memoria or veritas?) reading ...too much? Do you do it all very day?

Thank you!

Lynn

I did CC with a 6 year old 2 years ago. In addition, I used SOTW 1, HWOT, OPGTR for phonics (and Bob Jones Readers), and FLL 1 (she was far enough in reading to do this), and All About Spelling 1, and BJU Math 1. Also did an easy biology science. I did not consider CC to be my "core" corriculum, only a supplement. Some people do make it their core, and don't add more history or science. You need to add math and phonics to CC at a minimum. I would not add Latin for a 6 yo unless they are begging for it (and then I'd only consider Song School Latin; Memoria's entry level program, Prima Latina, is too much for a 6 year old, imo). We did math and phonics/reading, and AAS1 every day, the other stuff 1 or 2x a week (FLL probably 3x a week sometimes).

I did CC with a 6 year old 2 years ago. In addition, I used SOTW 1, HWOT, OPGTR for phonics (and Bob Jones Readers), and FLL 1 (she was far enough in reading to do this), and All About Spelling 1, and BJU Math 1. Also did an easy biology science. I did not consider CC to be my "core" corriculum, only a supplement. Some people do make it their core, and don't add more history or science. You need to add math and phonics to CC at a minimum. I would not add Latin for a 6 yo unless they are begging for it (and then I'd only consider Song School Latin; Memoria's entry level program, Prima Latina, is too much for a 6 year old, imo). We did math and phonics/reading, and AAS1 every day, the other stuff 1 or 2x a week (FLL probably 3x a week sometimes).

Thank you....so wait on Latin, and yes, I did forget science...not sure what to pursue there....

When this school year ends, we will have been through all three cycles twice.

I've never tried to match CC week-by-week, but chose history programs that approximated the history period being covered. For four years that was Sonlight, then last year BJUP, and this year Veritas. Some moms have the time and energy to plan, but I don't and it has gone fine. They have always drawn the connections quite well without matching what was covered in class.

And yes, we've always done math, handwriting, phonics/spelling, etc. every day in addition to CC. The daily review doesn't take very long, and I put mine in charge of their own review from 4th grade on, so it has been awhile since I have led the review.

Thank you....so wait on Latin, and yes, I did forget science...not sure what to pursue there....

FWIW, I used Living Learning Books biology (it was OK, not sure if it is still availiable or not). If I were doing it now, I would seriously look at RSO Biology or whatever it is called for life science. We're doing RSO Chemistry now, and I love it. Another one I'd consider would be Real Science for Kids Pre-Level 1. Just my thoughts. I couldn't get the WTM science approach to work for us; I need things laid out for me.

I will have a 1st grader next year (and 3rd and 5th graders). My 1st grader will be using SOTW, Christian Kids Explore Biology and Earth and Space (I think we will do biology the first half of the yaer and then the Earth part of the second book for the second half of the year), and All About Spelling (handwriting, phonics, spelling, and dictation combined). We are using Handwriting Without Tears this year, so he will already know how to form his letters and that will just be practiced through spelling. I will probably also give him some copywork (poems and such). He is reading well, but if he weren't we would use OPGTR or AAR for reading instruction. He'll have lots of independent reading. Oh, and math.

He is getting some Latin by osmosis (his brothers are learning it), but he isn't studying it directly. We did enjoy Song School Latin for fun last year, but I wouldn't say it is necessary.

I like FLL for language arts, but with the CC grammar memory work, dictation through AAS, some copywork that I create, and the poems all the boys are memorizing with the IEW poetry program, I don't think it is necessary for him at this time. I might go through both FLL and WWE and just pick and choose some lessons.

CC is JUST memory work.

For a kindergartener, add phonics/reading, handwriting, and math. We also added read-alouds related to the weekly CC memory work (timeline, history, and science). We drilled the math & geography, but totally dropped the Latin & grammar.

For a first grader, in addition to the above, add spelling, grammar, and writing. If you can manage it, add a history program like Story of the World and a science like Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. If not, just do readalouds as described above. You do NOT have to line everything up perfectly. I tried doing that in the beginning, and found that it was actually better when the reading / discussing a topic was a week or two before or after it was discussed in class - they seemed to remember it better.

We are doing CC with a 1st grader and 4K'er this year. We read a ton of library books on the timeline events, history sentences, and science. We also supplement with SOTW. We also watch a lot of videos...I get lots of ideas from the blog "Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood". As far as review goes, they both listen to the CC audio CD all of the time.

In addition, 1st grader does AAS (3 days/week), math(everyday), FLL & WWE(everyday), for handwriting we incorporate the Latin translations from CC, RSO Life science (usually 2 days/week), reading practice(everday).

4K'er just does Rod & Staff workbooks and 100 EZ lessons a few times a week.

It looks like a lot when it's written out, but honestly we only spend 1.5/2 hours on actual school work with my 1st grader.

I would follow CC's recommendations for other subjects not because you need to or have to but just because I agree that they are awesome. In some cases I substitute a program that is very similar in methodology but easier to use and there are a few things I added.

CC recommends Saxon Math (and so does Veritas) because of its thoroughness. CC also has a set of drill sheets called Tables and Squares that I recommend (only $10).

For reading and spelling I substitute AAS and AAR as they are the same underlying philosophy as The Writing Road to Reading and I find it much easier to use and very, very effective.

For writing they have the Essentials program in 4th-6th grade which has similarities to Shurley Grammar and also uses IEW. They are coming out with copybooks called Pre-Scripts for incorporating memory work in PreK-3. I think they are making one for grammar and one for history but I'm not totally sure on that.

For Latin we use Latin's Not So Tough, which CC recommends. They do not sell the first level because they think it is too easy, but I totally disagree. I think it is a great, gentle introduction and I would do it with a 6 year old. I also want to add Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek which has the same author and similar format. For fun since we finished Latin early this year we are doing Song School and my 7 year old loves it. They have free coloring pages online and I think in the future I may just use those and the Latin Monkey Match game to finish out the year as well as continue to review the flashcards.

I add Veritas Press Phonics Museum in K and 1 (probably after finishing AAR since it has fewer lessons). This also brings in some handwriting practice and mostly I do it b/c I love the primers and so do my kids. It helps flesh out the timeline some in those early years. I don't really do the lessons....just the workbook and primers. I also do the Veritas literature books and guides since CC doesn't have literature. They are adding some literature books in the spring I think but I think they will just be Bob Books and Caldecott or Newberry books. No guides or anything. We'll see.

For Science I have found it easier to just keep it simple and do Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers during CC weeks. For History I plan to just do Veritas Press Self-paced so we don't have to do it on a strict schedule. I know they will want to do it every spare minute. I will make this loosely line up with our CC cycle. For example, next year we are doing Cycle 1 so we will do OT/AE. Next time through cycle 1 we'll do NT/G&R. The second time through Cycle 2 I will do CHOW instead of MARR. We'll do the last two in cycle 3 on a rotating basis.

My plan right now is that on our off weeks between Thanksgiving and starting up again in January I plan to not do regular subjects and just do Apologia Science, SOTW, What We Believe, and Veritas Bible as well as Artistic Pursuits. We'll cover a weeks worth of each in one day. If we don't finish we may finish up when CC is over. I'm going to have mine do SOTW individually and just do as many chapters this year starting with book 1 as they can. We listen to the audios in the car already but I want to add in the activity guide pages to better reinforce the audios. We're going to do Genesis-Joshua for Veritas, though I'm hoping they'll come out with a self-paced version. For Science I'd like to do Zoology 1 but we'll see. I may change my mind about Science since it is seasonally related and doing it in the middle of winter may not work. Late spring and summer might be better. Of these, only SOTW and VP Bible and History are recommended by CC. The rest are my personal picks. They would probably get enough Science and History just by fleshing out the Acts and Facts cards if you wanted.

I know this sounds complicated and I could be completely off but I basically what I am saying is that during CC weeks I've found it best to stick to their recommended programs adding in only a few things (for us- nature readers, building thinking skills, poetry memorization, greek, phonics primers and literature) which each only take a few minutes (with the exception of literature but of course CC recommends reading time). What may look like a bare bones history and science and fine arts is plenty I have found during busy CC weeks. Then during the off weeks I plan to hit those other subjects hard and let the regular curricula sit on the shelf with the exception of practicing math and Latin/Greek flashcards or drills or games to keep them fresh. That way we can really dive into those things without taking away from the 3Rs on CC weeks. We used to try to squeeze those things in but by the end of the day the kids didn't feel like doing notebooking.

Don't try to do too much during CC. Let the memory work soak in and be consistent with it. It will seep into everything they do. Focus on the 3 R's and languages beyond that. Then take the time when CC is not in session to dive in more deeply with the content subjects (history, science, art) and watch the lightbulbs go on and see their delight in learning about these people and places and pictures they are now familiar with.

The first half of the year I tried to do other subjects in the afternoon and except for reading aloud to them I often got a lot of protesting. Then we put our house on the market and there literally has been no time for these other subjects like art, science (except for nature readers), and history (except for read alouds). But still somehow they are getting a lot of science and history and art b/c what they have learned and touched on in CC has become like this magnet through which they attract knowledge and appreciation and fascination for the world around them and they end up soaking up far more of their own initiative than I could ever force down their throats. Use the new tools CC is coming out with, try out some of their recommendations, surround them with opportunities to learn more as they desire to, and they will thrive!

HTH!

• 2 months later...

We're coming up on our 3rd year of CC, and have found that focusing on the memory work really pays off when they hit Challenge. I tried to add too much and it really took away from the memory work. If you join the CC online community, many parents post some really good things to reinforce the memory and map work.

We use only a good language arts program and math in Foundations. I used FLL, WWE, and MUS. For history and science, we just read good books. We've watched some programs on Netflix this year the coincided with US History. My children liked Liberty's Kids. My kids play outside a lot, and I've noticed CC creeping into their play. They've always played "war", but now they're pretending to be specific generals in specific wars. Unfortunately, they get a little aggravated when the boy next door comes home from school and has no idea what they're talking about. :001_unsure:

Is this child going to be a first grader or a kindergartener?

For kindergarten, you would need to add:

- phonics/reading

- handwriting

- math

- readalouds

What else does your state require? Mine requires science & social studies. That could easily be satisfied by just doing a little reading about each geography, history, and science memory fact. (You don't even have to get books - the cards have info on the back if you would prefer to use those.)

If first grade, also add:

- spelling

- grammar

- writing

- I am planning to beef up the science & history a little more this year by using actual plans rather than just readalouds.

Hi Megan,

We are in Michigan and there aren't and specific requirements . Thank you for your suggestions! :bigear:

QUOTE=MeganW;3878906]Is this child going to be a first grader or a kindergartener?

For kindergarten, you would need to add:

- phonics/reading

- handwriting

- math

- readalouds

What else does your state require? Mine requires science & social studies. That could easily be satisfied by just doing a little reading about each geography, history, and science memory fact. (You don't even have to get books - the cards have info on the back if you would prefer to use those.)

If first grade, also add:

- spelling

- grammar

- writing

- I am planning to beef up the science & history a little more this year by using actual plans rather than just readalouds.

HUGE help, thank you!:grouphug:

I would follow CC's recommendations for other subjects not because you need to or have to but just because I agree that they are awesome. In some cases I substitute a program that is very similar in methodology but easier to use and there are a few things I added.

CC recommends Saxon Math (and so does Veritas) because of its thoroughness. CC also has a set of drill sheets called Tables and Squares that I recommend (only $10).

For reading and spelling I substitute AAS and AAR as they are the same underlying philosophy as The Writing Road to Reading and I find it much easier to use and very, very effective.

For writing they have the Essentials program in 4th-6th grade which has similarities to Shurley Grammar and also uses IEW. They are coming out with copybooks called Pre-Scripts for incorporating memory work in PreK-3. I think they are making one for grammar and one for history but I'm not totally sure on that.

For Latin we use Latin's Not So Tough, which CC recommends. They do not sell the first level because they think it is too easy, but I totally disagree. I think it is a great, gentle introduction and I would do it with a 6 year old. I also want to add Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek which has the same author and similar format. For fun since we finished Latin early this year we are doing Song School and my 7 year old loves it. They have free coloring pages online and I think in the future I may just use those and the Latin Monkey Match game to finish out the year as well as continue to review the flashcards.

I add Veritas Press Phonics Museum in K and 1 (probably after finishing AAR since it has fewer lessons). This also brings in some handwriting practice and mostly I do it b/c I love the primers and so do my kids. It helps flesh out the timeline some in those early years. I don't really do the lessons....just the workbook and primers. I also do the Veritas literature books and guides since CC doesn't have literature. They are adding some literature books in the spring I think but I think they will just be Bob Books and Caldecott or Newberry books. No guides or anything. We'll see.

For Science I have found it easier to just keep it simple and do Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers during CC weeks. For History I plan to just do Veritas Press Self-paced so we don't have to do it on a strict schedule. I know they will want to do it every spare minute. I will make this loosely line up with our CC cycle. For example, next year we are doing Cycle 1 so we will do OT/AE. Next time through cycle 1 we'll do NT/G&R. The second time through Cycle 2 I will do CHOW instead of MARR. We'll do the last two in cycle 3 on a rotating basis.

My plan right now is that on our off weeks between Thanksgiving and starting up again in January I plan to not do regular subjects and just do Apologia Science, SOTW, What We Believe, and Veritas Bible as well as Artistic Pursuits. We'll cover a weeks worth of each in one day. If we don't finish we may finish up when CC is over. I'm going to have mine do SOTW individually and just do as many chapters this year starting with book 1 as they can. We listen to the audios in the car already but I want to add in the activity guide pages to better reinforce the audios. We're going to do Genesis-Joshua for Veritas, though I'm hoping they'll come out with a self-paced version. For Science I'd like to do Zoology 1 but we'll see. I may change my mind about Science since it is seasonally related and doing it in the middle of winter may not work. Late spring and summer might be better. Of these, only SOTW and VP Bible and History are recommended by CC. The rest are my personal picks. They would probably get enough Science and History just by fleshing out the Acts and Facts cards if you wanted.

I know this sounds complicated and I could be completely off but I basically what I am saying is that during CC weeks I've found it best to stick to their recommended programs adding in only a few things (for us- nature readers, building thinking skills, poetry memorization, greek, phonics primers and literature) which each only take a few minutes (with the exception of literature but of course CC recommends reading time). What may look like a bare bones history and science and fine arts is plenty I have found during busy CC weeks. Then during the off weeks I plan to hit those other subjects hard and let the regular curricula sit on the shelf with the exception of practicing math and Latin/Greek flashcards or drills or games to keep them fresh. That way we can really dive into those things without taking away from the 3Rs on CC weeks. We used to try to squeeze those things in but by the end of the day the kids didn't feel like doing notebooking.

Don't try to do too much during CC. Let the memory work soak in and be consistent with it. It will seep into everything they do. Focus on the 3 R's and languages beyond that. Then take the time when CC is not in session to dive in more deeply with the content subjects (history, science, art) and watch the lightbulbs go on and see their delight in learning about these people and places and pictures they are now familiar with.

The first half of the year I tried to do other subjects in the afternoon and except for reading aloud to them I often got a lot of protesting. Then we put our house on the market and there literally has been no time for these other subjects like art, science (except for nature readers), and history (except for read alouds). But still somehow they are getting a lot of science and history and art b/c what they have learned and touched on in CC has become like this magnet through which they attract knowledge and appreciation and fascination for the world around them and they end up soaking up far more of their own initiative than I could ever force down their throats. Use the new tools CC is coming out with, try out some of their recommendations, surround them with opportunities to learn more as they desire to, and they will thrive!

HTH!