Menu

Spanish for a 5th grader?

mazakaal

My dd will be in 5th grade next year, and I'm pretty well decided on her curriculum for everything except Spanish. She did Getting Started With Spanish in 3rd grade, following along with her older brother, but it was a bit much and she doesn't remember a lot of it. This year I wanted to go with something a bit lighter and more fun, so we're doing La Clase Divertida, which has turned out to be a bit too light. She's just learning alphabet, colors, parts of the body, and animals. I'd like to find some sort of happy medium for next year. I want something that she will enjoy, won't be too textbooky or schoolish, because we're really only doing Spanish at her request. If it had been up to me, I would have waited until middle school to start her in another language since we're already doing Latin. But I want something that will actually teach some conversation, not just a few words. Any suggestions?

I thought the Learnables and Breaking the Barrier were geared more towards older students. I remember considering BtB when I looked at Visual Link Spanish for ds. Saying that, maybe I could just have her do VL. Hmmmm something to think about. Has anyone used VL with someone as young as 10yo?

I thought the Learnables and Breaking the Barrier were geared more towards older students. I remember considering BtB when I looked at Visual Link Spanish for ds. Saying that, maybe I could just have her do VL. Hmmmm something to think about. Has anyone used VL with someone as young as 10yo?

BtB is for older students, but some of this board have used it with success with a language-oriented younger. I don't know much about VL. What about Espanol para chiquitos y grandes? That's another one we're considering here.

I've seen some reviews of SFC that say that it's dry. Have you used it? Did you find this to be the case?

I've never heard of Mango, but when I google searched, it looked like something geared for adults.

I thought SOS had only a high school Spanish program, but on searching found an elementary program. This looks good with games and puzzles, etc to make it fun. I wasn't impressed with SOS grade 7 materials that I tried with my oldest several years back, so I'm a bit reticent to buy anything from them again, though. Have you used this?