Menu

Sensitive Teeth

Ds (almost 8) has always been sensitive about some things - he doesn't like having his nails trimmed, a trip to the barber used to send him to orbit and he is quite the picky eater. Ever since he started losing his baby teeth, brushing teeth has become an issue for him. He says that his new, permanent teeth hurt. I took him to the dentist to have them checked out and the dentist says he is fine. He recommended that ds use toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but that has never happened as ds hates the taste (he will only use one very specific kind of kids toothpaste).

Ds doesn't do a good job of brushing his teeth and I have now given myself the job of doing it every night for him (which always ends in tears). Any suggestions? I love my sensitive boy but sometimes I just don't know what to do with him!!!

You might research sensory processing disorder, as some of these sensitivities are common in kids with sensory issues.

:iagree:

Except look for Sensory Integration Disorder, SID. Ds had all of those same issues when he was little. Teeth brushing was torture for a very long time. An Occupational Therapist will be able to help tremendously. Reading the book, The Out of Sync Child may help you.

If it's agonizing for him, until you can solve the problem I would give him sugarless gum to chew for awhile before going to bed and some dental floss picks to use. If he flosses, and that shouldn't hurt his teeth (I have ultra sensitive teeth), then most of the food that will cause decay should be gone.

:iagree:

Except look for Sensory Integration Disorder, SID. Ds had all of those same issues when he was little. Teeth brushing was torture for a very long time. An Occupational Therapist will be able to help tremendously. Reading the book, The Out of Sync Child may help you.

FYI, Sensory Processing Disorder is the updated language for what you know as SID. Even The Out of Sync title has been updated:

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Sync-Child-Recognizing-Processing/dp/0399531653

http://out-of-sync-child.com/