Menu

Dog's ears are VERY vascular. (graphic)

I did not know that.

My puppy, 4.5 months old, came to our glass door absolutely COVERED in blood. I ran outside, barefoot, screaming for the farm mascot,Guido. I just assumed the pup had killed him, eaten him, and was covered in the mess. I ran over the rock driveway, some ice, and then I saw our ducks, and pigs, and chickens, and all the large animals. :confused: I had no idea who or what he got/attacked/ate.

I ran back to the house to see him shaking his head. There was blood ALL OVER the place. I couldn't calm him enough to see where the blood was coming from other than his ear. i scooped him up, grabbed a towel to place on the ear to compress, then drove to the vet. The dog was absolutely covered in blood, and after about five miutes I realized that I was, too.

The blood is all over the house; garage doors, front steps, porch and door, side deck and slider, back deck, windows, door and siding. I can NOT believe how much blood this dog lost!!!

The vet had to tranquilize him because he was pretty shaken. I was a wreck listening to him cry. I washed up at the vets office. The waiting room left a trail of Cooper's blood from the front door to out back.

The reason? Apparently my dachsund bit his ear. They may have been playing. I will never know for sure. Cooper was at the vet awhile before they could stop the bleeding enough to put on skin glue :confused: They had to bathe him down to see if there was bleeding anywhere else. There was none.

Two teeny tiny teeth marks on the edge of the ear.

I can NOT believe such a minor injury could look so scary!!!!! His entire front 1/3 of his body was absolutely covered in blood.

Dd12 screamed hysterically. She thought he was dying.

$147

I think we have spent $2000 on unexpected vet costs in the past two months. I hope and I pray we get a MUCH NEEDED BREAK now.

Never a dull moment.:001_unsure::001_unsure:

HOLY TOLEDO I HAD NO IDEA.

Yikes! Scary. And what a mess for you to clean up! oy!

I wonder if in addition to the dog's ear being very vascular, your dog's blood doesn't clot normally? That's still pretty excessive for a small wound, isn't it?

Actually it is really common for them not to clot..the dog feels something weird (the blood dripping) and keeps shaking his head. That creates centrifugal force that makes it bleed more, and keeps it from clotting. Oh, and sprays every surface in sight with a spray of blood. It is awful.

Stypic pencils sometimes will work but you also have to keep the ear still, which is really really hard. Total pain in the butt type of injury. But they heal fairly well. Tail injuries have similar issues and heal badly.

I remember the day my kitty came home with her head covered with blood half frozen to her. She had a tiny cut on her ear, that thing did not leave blood like your dog but was enough to freak me out until I got him cleaned up and could see it was a tiny nick (like a paper cut to the edge)

So glad your dog is okay, it's like kids and head wounds, tons of blood, little trauma (for them, for us it's a lot of trauma)

Yikes! Scary. And what a mess for you to clean up! oy!

I wonder if in addition to the dog's ear being very vascular, your dog's blood doesn't clot normally? That's still pretty excessive for a small wound, isn't it?

They weren't concerned at all. They explained to me how vascular the ears are so bloodloss is excessive...... I am not worried about it. It was so shocking!!!

Actually it is really common for them not to clot..the dog feels something weird (the blood dripping) and keeps shaking his head. That creates centrifugal force that makes it bleed more, and keeps it from clotting. Oh, and sprays every surface in sight with a spray of blood. It is awful.

Stypic pencils sometimes will work but you also have to keep the ear still, which is really really hard. Total pain in the butt type of injury. But they heal fairly well. Tail injuries have similar issues and heal badly.

This is exactly what happend.

Even if I had a stypic pencil (never heard of it!) I couldn't get him to sit still. The vet had to tranquilize him.

It looked SO awful. I was shocked to hear he had two teeny tiny nicks in his ear. Shocked!!!

Oh, Denise! 2012 seems to have it in for your pets!

Hope things are calming down a bit on the ranch. :D

$147 for a vet bill in an ER is not even that bad....I know, added on to

the other amounts you already paid...

Thankfully it was not after hours. I just took him to the vet.

swellmama, cat's ears are paper thin! It makes sense that they, too, are vascular, but it is still somewhat surprising.

Jean..... I have never heard of a dog with the injury you describe. All that engorgement must have been SO painful!

All I have left to say is rambunctious puppy with e-collar = clutz. :glare: he almost knocked over the bird cage, which is on a stand, and my extremely old cockatiel, 21 - 25 years old, hurt her wing. Another bloody mess. He is a bull in a China shop for sure!!! Oh well, it comes off tomorrow afternoon.