Menu

Walmart to Sell Monsanto GMO Corn This Summer

What does this mean? Cheaper corn? Yummier corn? What?

If the article is to be believed, the Monsanto corn produces its own pesticide (Bt).

The “Bt†means that the corn contains Bt toxin, which comes from the bacteria Bacillus theringiensis and is commonly used on crops as a pesticide. Monsanto’s corn has been modified to produce this toxin, which means it makes its own pesticide, rupturing the stomachs of the insects that eat it. It is unknown what effect consuming a plant that produces this toxin will have on humans, however lab rats that were fed the Bt corn suffer from organ failure.

Bill

Monsanto is a HUGE corporation that started way back making fertilizer and weed control (think Round Up) and then started making genetically modified seeds that would accept round up without being killed by the pesticide. Slowly but surly, they monopolized the market on most corn and soy being grown in the US, and they haven't been nice about it. There are farmers who have tried to avoid using Monsanto seeds, but due to nature, seeds from neighboring fields have drifted into their field, then Monsanto sought them out and tried to sue them, successfully I believe. It is just a crummy situation all around, and for the folks that are trying to avoid genetically modified food, making it available at Wal-Mart is not helping to slow the company.

The movie Food Inc has a lot of good information about this. It is on Netflix (streaming I think, but I haven't checked in awhile to see if it is still available to stream).

I am sure there are some others on here who can give a lot more detailed, precise information, but that is my take on it in a nutshell. :)

Monsanto is a HUGE corporation that started way back making fertilizer and weed control (think Round Up) and then started making genetically modified seeds that would accept round up without being killed by the pesticide. Slowly but surly, they monopolized the market on most corn and soy being grown in the US, and they haven't been nice about it. There are farmers who have tried to avoid using Monsanto seeds, but due to nature, seeds from neighboring fields have drifted into their field, then Monsanto sought them out and tried to sue them, successfully I believe. It is just a crummy situation all around, and for the folks that are trying to avoid genetically modified food, making it available at Wal-Mart is not helping to slow the company.

The movie Food Inc has a lot of good information about this. It is on Netflix (streaming I think, but I haven't checked in awhile to see if it is still available to stream).

I am sure there are some others on here who can give a lot more detailed, precise information, but that is my take on it in a nutshell. :)

It is amazing, but true, that Monsano has ruined the crops and seed of farmers who seek to avoid GM crops through unwanted cross-pollination with those of traditional crops.

Organic farmers can't sell GM crops as "organic." But farmer who complains or becomes public opponent of Monsanto finds their farms raided to see if the harvested seed contain any (to the farmer unwanted) Monsanto patented genes.

If it they do have GM material, Monsanto sues the farmers for using its patented GM property without license or compensation.

When facing an economic powerhouse like Monsanto—one that can crush a small farmer with the cost of unrelenting lawsuits—many farmers have to fold and pay Monsanto damages.

It is a weird world sometimes.

Bill

Bill

I would be happy to be able to buy sweet corn that was pest-resistance. Pest-resistant crops reduce the need for pesticides. As far as I can tell, much of the corn grown for other purposes is already bt-resistant.

Even when we have no idea how the chemically engineered product will affect our health?...

I would be happy to be able to buy sweet corn that was pest-resistance. Pest-resistant crops reduce the need for pesticides. As far as I can tell, much of the corn grown for other purposes is already bt-resistant.

It's not just pest-resistant. It is genetically engineering to produce its own pesticide. I eat organic mostly, but at least with conventional pesticides you have some chance of washing them off. If the pesticide is produced inside the corn, you have no choice but to eat it. :tongue_smilie:

It isn't just resistant. It produces its own pesticide. From the article:

Monsanto’s corn has been modified to produce this toxin, which means it makes its own pesticide, rupturing the stomachs of the insects that eat it. It is unknown what effect consuming a plant that produces this toxin will have on humans, however lab rats that were fed the Bt corn suffer from organ failure.

There has been no human trials. For all they know it could cause human organ failure.

I'm actually surprised that Walmart wasn't already selling this corn.

It is absolutely disgusting that our government is in the pocket of such a reprehensible corporation. Monsanto is the same company that has introduced things such as Agent Orange, Round Up, DDT, aspartame, saccharine, etc. They are also responsible for over 56 Superfund sites and have been sued multiple times for damaging the health of its employees or residents near its Superfund sites through pollution and poisoning.

At the very least there should clear labeling of GMO products. There is not enough research to determine this food is safe. Can you really trust Monsanto to provide a healthy, beneficial food when their record shows they seem to be on a mission to poison the world with their chemicals?

Even when we have no idea how the chemically engineered product will affect our health?...

The EPA and the FDA both consider bt corn to be safe. Bt has been used for twenty years with no adverse health impacts in humans or animals.

As if those are the only choices: documented proof or mass hysteria? I think there's a place in there for common sense-initiated skepticism.

Agreed, I have no issue with the skepticism. But it seems that there are many who take it well beyond that.

The EPA and the FDA both consider bt corn to be safe. Bt has been used for twenty years with no adverse health impacts in humans or animals.

The same FDA that has a former Monsanto lobbyist as the Food Safety Czar?

Pest-resistant crops reduce the need for pesticides.

This changes when pests become resistant to the pesticide then requiring more pesticide. We need insects and pollinators. We also need people that know how to grow their own food :)

Edited by treestarfae
adding "then"

Have there been documented cases of humans suffering organ failure from consuming GMO, or is it all just mass hysteria?

Doesn't it seem reasonable to have long-term studies to determine whether there are any adverse effects before testing it out on the people? I prefer my kids and loved ones not be the guinea pigs for a very immoral corporation's GMO food. They have shown nothing but disregard for the safety of humans or the environment so far and I doubt they care one bit what happens to any of us. I wish there was more mass hysteria over this topic, but most people don't even know or care where or how their food is made anymore.

An article that discusses the results of a Monsanto GMO corn study and how it causes organ failure:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

According to this study, Monsanto tested it's corn for 90 days! Who could accept this as a sufficient amount of time to determine the long-term safety? Oh right, the FDA. Oddly enough the senior adviser for the FDA also happened to be the vice president of Monsanto. I bet he's unbiased, right? He is also the same person who was Food Safety Czar at the FDA when genetically modified organisms were allowed into the US food supply without undergoing a single test to determine their safety or risks.

I am very passionate about this topic and all I ask is that people take a minute or two to look around at some of the information out there. I guarantee that as soon as you do you will probably realize just how corrupt and dangerous this whole situation is. We at least deserve labels so we know how our food is being grown.

Yeah, like I trust them...they put the OK on many drugs that later they have to recall because they've killed people...they ok the dyes that are used in food, though it's known to cause problems in people. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll grow and eat my food the way it started, unadulterated.

I am very passionate about this topic and all I ask is that people take a minute or two to look around at some of the information out there. I guarantee that as soon as you do you will probably realize just how corrupt and dangerous this whole situation is. We at least deserve labels so we know how our food is being grown.

We are too...that's why we've taken to growing much of our food, meat included. If we don't grow it, we buy organic or local.

We are too...that's why we've taken to growing much of our food, meat included. If we don't grow it, we buy organic or local.

We are trying to do that now too. I am not even sure what to trust in the organic section of the grocery stores anymore. Eventually, we are hoping to buy a house with enough land that we will be able to grow more food. Until then, we are learning how to garden and trying to help our local farmers that are striving to save our food supply!