Menu

s/o year round schoolers

For those who do consistent breaks like X weeks on and Y weeks off, how does that affect where your children are in their curriculum? We have done year-round schooling for years without any scheduled breaks. We simply take off random days and more at Thanksgiving, Christmas and during the summer. I would say that overall, we have breaks about 6 to 7 weeks per school year. I would absolutely love to do the 3 weeks on, 1 week off method. But I'm afraid that will put my son WAY behind in his work. We use an accredited school program that allows students to take up to 52 weeks to complete a 36-week schedule. We've only needed that 52 weeks twice so far. But we're working on a 3rd because this class has too much work.

yada yada... I'm rambling. Do you worry about taking too much time to get through curriculum when you take so many breaks? Are you very disciplined to get a decent amount of work done during the school days? I must say we aren't very disciplined. We rarely get a week's worth of work done in 5 school days. We're either doing some on weekends, or pushing classes back. It's crazy. But ds15 is so stressed out with school right now. It's a main source of the depression he is in, and taking medication for.

I'm only starting out and my children are far younger than yours, so our workload is considerably less, I'm sure. We do like you metioned and just take off when the need/want arises. The only scheduled time off is two weeks around Christmas. Other than that, we just go with the flow. I do try to get at least five days work of school in per week, but if that isn't possible, I try for at least four. At this point, I haven't worried about getting too far behind, but like I said, my children are still really young.

I'm not consistent about x weeks on, x off...

We roughly do 5 weeks of school (5 days a week) and then have a week off. I plan out the breaks at the start of our year. I divide by quarters (45 days) and schedule 50 days, so we have 5 days I can use as sick days or just take a day as needed.

We take May off and start our year in June.

Of course, today my son said he didn't think he was able to work today, so we did end up taking today off. He loses his first day off of our break next week as a result.

I think the biggest thing is laying out the work or the schedule and sticking to it. Kind of like a job... I let my son "call in sick" today... but he'll have to make up the work.

Our consistent breaks were Thanksgiving to the middle of January (right around MLK's bday); two weeks at Easter; two or three weeks in late August/early September. That would leave ample time to complete a 36-week schedule, even allowing for some random mental health days. :D

We've been schooling year-round for several years...honestly, I think 3 weeks on - 1 week off probably would put us behind. We take time off when we start feeling burned out. I'm trying to think of how often that is...maybe once every 2 months? I'm just guessing here...we probably do about 8 weeks of school and then take a week off.

We will switch to a light schedule sometimes...just math, writing and our read-alouds. We did that for 3 months last year (we moved).