Menu

Homeschooling and non-traditional business?

Any of you lovely ladies (or handsome dads ;) ) the homeschool teacher AND part of a non-traditional business that you're responsible for?

Honestly, dads, I really want to talk to the MOMS because our minds work so differently.

Moms, how do you DO it? How do you figure out what schedule works best without 2nd or 3rd guessing yourself the very next day?

What do you mean by non-traditional business?

I do grantwriting and fundraising consulting PT from home. I occasionally meet clients during the day or conduct a group training in the evening or on the weekend but usually do my work at home, late nights or early mornings. The only other thing I have to do is occasional lunches with colleagues and some networking events. Sometimes I will hole up on my husband's days off for part of the day if I have a big project. I would say I spend about 15-20 hours a week working while on the clock/billing and another 2-4 hours a week that is just building the business (web, social media, networking events, lunches with colleagues.) I could easily fill my docket and work 40 or more hours a week but I have chosen to work PT so that I don't have childcare costs and still get to sleep at roughly the same time as my husband. Does that count as a non-traditional business?

Yes, katie, that counts, although I am talking more of a direct sales type business. I'm just trying to figure it out along with schooling my kids. They are old enough that they should be able to stay home without adult supervision for a couple of hours without getting into trouble; however, lately it's been that when I come home, they are either fighting with each other and/or they've done something I specifically asked them not to do or vice versa. It's very frustrating! Plus, my husband's schedule is very unpredictable so I can't really rely on him being home.

So, basically, right now I'm just frustrated because I can't seem to figure out when I can go meet with people due to the above issues. Just trying to figure out what to do!

I work part-time as a therapist for Early Intervention. I schedule my sessions in the evenings so DH is home with the boys. DH also works from home one day per week, so DS2 goes down for a late nap, just before I leave and DH is finished with his work day when he gets up. DS5 is able to play by himself during that time. I will also schedule sessions on Saturdays, once I have a larger client base.

Yes, katie, that counts, although I am talking more of a direct sales type business.

I would avoid the direct sales in favor of something where you can truly set your own hours given what you said about your schedule. Sales are all about the customers hours and those hours are going to be daytime and weekends often. Some of the time I work is customer driven (meeting face to face, trainings I facilitate) but the thing that makes it conducive to homeschooling is that I can do the vast majority of my work whenever I feel like it. I give them a date that I will have the work done for them and then do it by that date, be that a couple of hours on a Weds morning or on a Friday at midnight. Obviously what I do is driven by what I did when I worked out of the home (that is how I developed the skills, reputation and contacts to transition to this) but there are many skill sets that translate into consulting from home. I have a lot of friends that do small business and non-profit bookkeeping from home. They go into a few different clients offices on a schedule, pick up what they need, take it home and do it and then drop off the checks to be signed and documentation and forms to be filed. This is something many people can learn hour to do and they all bill between $25 and 65 an hour. Some work for CPAs who just need extra hands on deck.

For things with no specialized skill sets, have you considered doing customer support from home via phone and computer? A wage will almost always beat any sort of MLM direct sales thing. More than 90% of MLM sales people make very little to nothing.

Thanks, all, for your input. Katie, it's not MLM. tcmama, I think I may have to have a serious heart to heart with my husband about having some dedicated hours when I KNOW he'll be home. I know he thinks he has to work the crazy hours sometimes but since he's on commission, I also know he can set boundaries, which would be a good thing!