Menu

s/o of my house buying post....what would you do if your hubby...(not bashing!)

If it were my hubby, I would show him how great the house prices are in Florida right now. I would probably also show him that we could get financially ahead by buying. I would even create color charts and pie graphs, but I'm kinda like that. ;)

If it were my hubby, I would do the leg work ahead of time (my husband would want me to) and narrow down three or four possibilities for us to look at together and make a decision.

A mortgage payment would probably be less than a rent payment, wouldn't it?

When we purchased our first home my husband truly didn't believe that we could afford to buy a home that we'd want to live in. After talking with the realtor and looking at the two houses that I'd narrowed our choice down to, he was thrilled with the opportunity to purchase a house.

For him, the idea of a house was overwhelming. Picking a house out of carefully screened choices was not.

Thinking from the "happy renter" perspective. If you buy on a fixed rate mortgage (that's what I have) your mortgage payment will not go up. Your rent can change year to year. So, owning provides so stability in your fixed expenses.

The market is down now. So, if you buy now and decide you have to move in a few years it is likely (no guarantee) a house you purchase now will increase in value.

If you do not buy, please invest the money, in a manner that it is not readily available to "fritter away", possibly a retirement or 529 account.

Thinking from the "happy renter" perspective.

He's a happy renter only because he feels that buying a house he doesn't adore will make him "unhappy." And the houses that he adores are OUT of our price range, and hence not possible. So he is "happy" to rent. Happier, I should probably say. I guess I want him to lower his standards LOL.

Oh absolutely! But only for a house he doesn't find acceptable :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: For a house he'd LIKE, we'd be paying double what we could afford.....

So, there aren't any houses in your price range that he likes? Man, that's a tough one! I guess you can just keep your eyes open, and talk to a realtor. Maybe a realtor can call you when something does come on the market, that would be a good fit?