Menu

Quadruple multiplication help?

DS is struggling with this. He gets the concept but if he has 12 questions he'll miss several answers because it just takes so much dang work. If he reverses one unit and tens place the whole question is wrong. Ugggggh! He's been working on this for weeks. Any advice? With me sitting there he just got 4 right and I let him take a break. This is holding him up big time. Thanks for for suggestions!

DS is struggling with this. He gets the concept but if he has 12 questions he'll miss several answers because it just takes so much dang work. If he reverses one unit and tens place the whole question is wrong. Ugggggh! He's been working on this for weeks. Any advice? With me sitting there he just got 4 right and I let him take a break. This is holding him up big time. Thanks for for suggestions!

How old is he? My DS1 is an accelerated learner, and at times like this, I see the gap between what he's capable of and where's he's at in terms of maturity. I have posted questions in the past about catching mistakes, etc. at this age. He just seems to struggle with that. He would be in 2nd grade, but we are working on Singapore 4B. He has no problem with the vast majority of concepts, but sometimes I think his attention wanes after a few problems on something like what you describe. It has gotten better in the last few months.

DS is ten and in 4th grade. He's pretty much right where he should be grade wise usually but he is finishing Math U See Gamma which I guess puts him a little behind. I'm not sure what's going on. In the normal context of a math lesson he gets them right and moves on. But when presented with many he has a hard time getting through them.

Are you using notebook paper turned sideways so it makes columns? That helped my son keep his numbers organized.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Is it unreasonable for me to expect him to be able to do an entire page of this type of problem? I started printing off the worksheets for him after he missed two of this type of question on the final test for gamma. He got everything on the test right but I don't feel like we can move on until he can get a whole sheet right.