Menu

My teen wants wants harder subjects

I need help from the Hive.

My 14-year-old daughter told me that she wants me to push her harder academically starting this week. I would love some input from the Hive to challenge her more.

She is currently taking: T&T geometry and Apologia Chemistry, STOW -2 history, IEW writing, French, R&S 10th grade, geography, etc. We are also taking a US Constitution 101 class online. I always thought she was learning enough, but I guess I need some ideas to fill her day even more.

Next year, she will be taking T&T pre-calculus and Apologia physics. I need to add some kind of ACT and SAT test prep.

What are your ideas? :bigear:

If she wants harder classes, I would do a college level algebra based physics class instead of apologia. If she is in geometry right now, she will have whatever math is necessary.

You might also want to look into a more rigorous math program if she is craving challenge. Since you are planning for precalc, I assum she has taken algebra 1 and algebra 2 already? In that case, I'd look at AoPS because she clearly is advanced in math.

What is T & T? Also, has she had an Algebra II/Trig course?

T&T is Teaching Textbooks.

She has completed both Algebra I and II, but I hadn't considered Trig.

I would do a college level algebra based physics class instead of apologia.

What would you recommend?

I'd look at AoPS because she clearly is advanced in math.

I have seen the AoPS mentioned on the Hive, but I don't know what it is.

Is there a reason for using SOTW volume 2 with a 14yo student who is capable of Geometry, French, Chemistry, and Constitution 101?

I think I would start with changing history to something designed for students her age, and add literature, art and music history, and possibly philosophy and/or logic. Have you read WTM recommendations for this level?

I could be wrong - so someone correct me if I am - but I believe I have read numerous times that Apologia's sciences aren't all that rigorous. Perhaps you could beef up the chemistry?

I've heard it argued both ways but lack the expertise to evaluate it properly. I only know that both of my teens have wanted to supplement Apologia with library books, TC lectures, and Khan Academy videos. They both feel Apologia is on the light and easy side.

Is there a reason for using SOTW volume 2 with a 14yo student who is capable of Geometry, French, Chemistry, and Constitution 101?

I think I would start with changing history to something designed for students her age, and add literature, art and music history, and possibly philosophy and/or logic. Have you read WTM recommendations for this level?

This is my thought too. I guess you could beef up STOW, but I honestly thought it was geared towards elementary/middle student. I'm currently doing it with my 7 y.o. and all the book recommendations are for the elementary/early middle age groups.

You can go to the library for SAT Prep books, and have her work through those practice tests, including being timed.

I would definitely drop SOTW 2, which my current 3rd grader is using. My ds14 is using SOTW 4 as a basic jumping off point. He has to read a TON of real books with 2 page narratives for each. He has to read a book every 7 to 10 days, depending how long it is.

You've had some good ideas so far, but also I'd see what she has in mind - if she's asking for more rigor, there must be some area where she feels a specific need for challenge, y'know?

As an English major, the first thing I think of is heavier reading :) I'm not clear what she is reading right now, but it's easy to find lots of challenging literature for the time period she is studying in history.

Heavier literature and heavier math would be the starting point, for me. Once she has those underway, look for heavier science and history options. Don't try to change everything at once, let her get used to the changes at her own pace.

I have seen the AoPS mentioned on the Hive, but I don't know what it is.

Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) is definitely challenging and rewarding. AoPS has textbooks (which are wonderful and which you can use on your own)but also has online classes taught at one time but via typing rather than through visuals. While it might sound awkward, the classes are full of energy and humor--and some of the most well-thought-out teaching I have seen. They have open house sessions fairly regularly. Let your child sit in on one and see what she thinks!

I would talk with her about each subject and find out specifically what she wants to do for more challenging work. If she's finding Apologia Chemistry too easy, which I personally don't think it is, then maybe she could do a lesson each week and then do their Advanced Chemistry text after that. The same can be done for their physics. I've heard here that TT is less advanced than other math programs, so if that's not challenging enough, she could switch programs or work through that one more quickly. Her schedule seems a bit light. What does she like to do? She can add more challenge on her own with things she wants to pursue - it doesn't all have to be formal schooling. You could also add in course like logic or computers, or another foreign language or art or music history or fine arts. The possibilities are endless. You could also find out what's available to her next year at the community college - she might enjoy classes there. School should be taking her five hours or more each day. If she's doing it in much less than that, then I'd re-evaluate the rigor of each of the courses and also how she's completing the work.

My first thought is to go deeper rather than add subjects. Write more, analyze speeches, essays, editorials. Summarize and synthesize in the subject areas. Read difficult text. Add a stronger math maybe? I've beefed up science a little adding some Giancoli work to Apologia Physics, but it has been time consuming. Another option is to add readings in the current science course and require writing about what has been read.

What about AP classes? I self-studied for the AP government exam last year when I was fourteen (I'm fifteen now), and got a 5. This year I'm taking a couple PA Homeschoolers online AP classes, and I love them! They're challenging and a lot of work, but I'm learning so much and meeting people from all over the country. Plus, your daughter can get college credit if she scores well on the AP exams.

I use SOTW for my 11-year-old, but my 14-year-old listens and has to do research and give oral and written reports each week based on the "topic".

Literature - she is assigned a literature book with a report once a month.

Art - we have an artist appreciation class, but no music history (no interest).

I read WTM each spring, but I wanted to see what others were doing.

My first thought is to go deeper rather than add subjects. Write more, analyze speeches, essays, editorials. Summarize and synthesize in the subject areas. Read difficult text. Add a stronger math maybe? I've beefed up science a little adding some Giancoli work to Apologia Physics, but it has been time consuming. Another option is to add readings in the current science course and require writing about what has been read.

What about AP classes? I self-studied for the AP government exam last year when I was fourteen (I'm fifteen now), and got a 5. This year I'm taking a couple PA Homeschoolers online AP classes, and I love them! They're challenging and a lot of work, but I'm learning so much and meeting people from all over the country. Plus, your daughter can get college credit if she scores well on the AP exams.

These are great ideas. THANKS :)