Menu

another spanish question

ktgrok

Ok...trying to make sense of this.

We are using Spanish for Children, and i know enough spanish to teach it, but my accent isn't great. I mean, it is correct, but nothing like a native speaker. Plus, per my post on "is the money worth it", time is becoming a factor as I will have a newborn and a 2 year old next year. So I'm thinking I need to add to this subject to really justify Spanish I credit for him. And I do want him to have done enough to get Spanish I credit by the end of next year.

Options are:

Continue using Spanish for Children, but add the DVD lesson. That is an extra $60, making the program about $100. I do like the amount of grammar covered, and think it is a pretty good program for him. The company says that if you finish primer A and B it counts as a full year of highschool Spanish I.

Use Switched on Schoolhouse or Monarch Spanish I. That would make the year we did now "beginning spanish" and next year Spanish I. More reviews on this would be great. How time consuming is it for him? He is really smart but has ADHD (unmedicated) so an hour long video wouldn't work well for him. Smaller bits at a time would be great. Cost is $89.95. Any thoughts?

Something else? I want grammar and vocab, not just conversation. He does NOT work whole to parts...Rosetta Stone was very frustrating for him, although fun. I know there are online classes and such, but I think the price for those goes out of my budget quickly.

Use Switched on Schoolhouse or Monarch Spanish I. That would make the year we did now "beginning spanish" and next year Spanish I. More reviews on this would be great. How time consuming is it for him? He is really smart but has ADHD (unmedicated) so an hour long video wouldn't work well for him. Smaller bits at a time would be great. Cost is $89.95. Any thoughts?

Have you ever used Switched on Schoolhouse? We tried it for Secondary Spanish but SOS is a bit cumbersome to set up and use. The program seemed good, but since my dd was already past the level of Secondary Spanish we didn't stick with it.

If you are interested in trying Secondary Spanish (free), PM me.

Continue using Spanish for Children, but add the DVD lesson. That is an extra $60, making the program about $100. I do like the amount of grammar covered, and think it is a pretty good program for him. The company says that if you finish primer A and B it counts as a full year of highschool Spanish I.

I am not familiar with this program, but if your son likes it and it covers enough material, then it is probably worth it to spend the money for the CD's.

Something else? I want grammar and vocab, not just conversation. He does NOT work whole to parts...Rosetta Stone was very frustrating for him, although fun. I know there are online classes and such, but I think the price for those goes out of my budget quickly.

Have you looked at So You Really Want to Learn Spanish series by Galore Park? http://www.galorepark.co.uk/page-parents/category-spanish/1/4/0/0/0/0/filter-criteria.html

I have not used it, but I think it is parts to whole and you can purchase audio CD support. There are sample chapters on galore park's website. It is probably cheapest to buy from the bookdepository.