Menu

if i spend all this money will the payoff be worth it?

ktgrok

I'm really trying to simplify things for myself next year, as we will have a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old in addition to a 7th grader. It will be my 3rd year homeschooling. Until this point I've pulled things together on my own, using SOTW as a base. Science has taken a back seat, with mostly documentaries and some living books, as well as some experiments at co-op. Next year I don't think I will have the time to do all the planning I do now, and I want him to get a great education and be a bit more independent. He may be going to public school for highschool, so that figures in too. I want him prepared.

Ok, so....my thought is to get Sonlight Core H (second half of world history) to pick up where we leave off this year with SOTW2. I am looking at buying the IG and all the books that the library doesn't have, which totals around $270. Yikes. Then there is Spanish. I like Spanish for Children, and if he finishes Primer B next year that will be considered enough to count for Spanish I credit. But I think I need to buy the DVD lectures so he gets more out of it. Right now I explain it to him, and if I am busy it just doesn't get done. That's another $60 on top of buying the student and teacher book, at almost $20 each. Then I will use WWS, that is a definite. Grammar I'm going free, and planning on KISS grammar. But then there is science....my options are to do the American Chemistry Society free lessons, which involve me reading ahead, keeping him on track, and finding the stuff for experiments, or paying the money for something that is all in one. I'm thinking Exploration Education which is $139 or Sonlight Science H which uses Apologia General Science and is $103. Both come with everything you need, and are directed to the student so I wouldn't have to do much at all, other than supervise and make sure it gets done. OH, and then there is math. Until now we have used the wonderful and cheap Math Mammoth. But now I'm looking at Kinetic Books Algebra I for next year. My son really liked the sample lessons, and said it was better than having me teach him. Again, it would be out of my hands, and I would just supervise. He wouldn't have to wait for me to be ready. But...it is $80. yikes.

My fear is that I've never spent this much before, at least not all at once, and I'm wondering if this is one of those times where the money spent is worth the time saved, or if it is all just a big rip off. We have a tax return coming, so I can afford to buy it all if really is going to make life easier. But will it? Are these things good investments? Or should i just use free Mango software via the library for spanish, and free online chem lessons, and pull together everything myself. Or will I just spend as much anyway, in the long run?

Edited by ktgrok

you can do the time payments option and break it up into three or four payments. Also, if you don't like it, they have a six month (I think) lifetime guarantee...so if you use it and don't like it, they will take it back for a full refund...no questions asked. I think you have to pay for return shipping. I think that is the best refund policy out there fo:)r people trying new curriculum.

HTH:)

a Sonlight consultant (but another company which I use for Math/Science distance learning classes).

I will be doing Core H with my 6th grader next year, and her sister will be doing BJU World History with BJU DVD's at the same time. It looks like a great core!

you can do the time payments option and break it up into three or four payments. Also, if you don't like it, they have a six month (I think) lifetime guarantee...so if you use it and don't like it, they will take it back for a full refund...no questions asked. I think you have to pay for return shipping. I think that is the best refund policy out there fo:)r people trying new curriculum.

HTH:)

That refund is only if you buy the full core, and I was not going to because my library has about half the books. It saves me $200 to only get the stuff I need, even with the discount. But I'm pretty sure I would like it...I mean, it is books, who doesn't like books?

It's spending the extra on Math, science, and spanish that are really killing me. I think I need to realize that middle school is just more expensive than elementary.

Katie, I spend it. That's where our tax return goes every year, and having open-and-go curriculum for teenagers is why I'm able to continue homeschooling. Most of my energy, creativity, and money-saving methods get used up on the little kids. I need to borrow someone else's brain and expertise (and schedule) for the big kids, and I move into the role of 'facilitator' more than 'teacher' at that point.

If you're willing to use Apologia science, Sonlight's packages are the best. A schedule, a kit, a multi-media CD...could not be more open-and-go. And it is a very thorough curriculum. I went this route because I lack the science background to stay motivated enough to supervise something less student-ready. My oldest son is finishing Biology now, and looking forward to Chemistry this summer. My second son is finishing General Science. Both have done very well with Apologia. You can supplement with TC lectures; I found some through the library! Also, Khan Academy has an awesome science section.

Sonlight has great resale value, and the books are terrific. I bought a Sonlight core each year until I had p3/4 through 100, because my library isn't great and these are the kinds of books I want available to my kids at home. I don't always use Sonlight as-is, and I don't use it at all for one of my dc, but I've never regretted a Sonlight core purchase. (I didn't buy high school cores. I switched to TOG for high school.)

My philosophy for ages 12-14 (or so) is to use whatever meets my standards that will actually get done with the least resistance from pubescent boys. WTM is great, TOG is great, but if they push back less on curriculum created by someone else, Sonlight definitely works. Sometimes my young teen boys rebel against my Mama-made lessons, arguing that they are too hard or too much. For some reason they don't argue against official curriculum from some company. This is something I don't actually understand.

Mango Spanish has turned out to be really, really good for my son. I bought him a Spanish dictionary and a book from Amazon (Easy Spanish Step-by-Step), and he has native Spanish speakers to converse with several times per week. It's going very well.

I think you are wise to consider the challenges of homeschooling a teen with a baby and toddler in the house. If open-and-go means that you will get it done, then buy it. You have less time to delay lessons or get behind now than when your ds was younger, so use whatever works for both of you to do a good job in good time.

I advise buying Apologia General Science and Sonlight H from SL, but go with Mango for Spanish. You can resell the Science and Core materials if you want, or save them for your younger dc.

I bought SL core W and could only use it with my 2 oldest, we did not have all of the materials to go with it: and it was over $650 total what I spent, my dd 12 did not like the books so I switched some, read some aloud, and ended up using CHOW for awhile, but I have been physically ill for most of the past 14 months in extreme pain.

I like IEW and SL calls for alot of dictation and discussion. We get World Magazine and read it cover to cover discussing issues and really get alot from it.

I like more of the younger children's selections for books, and did buy several for us to use and we are still enjoying them.

I am pulling TOG 2 together, right now, and it looks like it will be cheaper in the long run, especially since it is easier to navigate for me and has each child's level on 2 pages for the suggested reading, student pages, and Socratic questions and keys to each book selected so I don't have to know all of the material. The World Book is quoted throughout so I plan to use it when needed. We have a set of World books, and a CD rom of WORLD Book and Britannica, but hardly use them. I thought SL was going to be what helped me the most, but had never even heard of TOG until reading on here.

If I only had 2,3, or maybe 4 children, I would like SL better. I can't afford the time or $$$ to buy 3-4 Cores and couldn't use them all.

I hope you do get more advice and take your goals, needs, likes, and $$ into consideration.

I keep thinking TOG is too expensive, but if we really use it for 1 or more years it will be a Rich experience. It absolutely won't be easy, but I love the books that we are mostly getting used on Amazon and love the way I can look on Bookshelf Central to get a list and then look for a great deal on it.

And so far our library has only had a few, so I know going in every year that I will have to buy several books.

The book selections are similar on Easy Classical, Veritas Press, TOG, and even CC, HOD, MFW, etc. The lists are longest in SL and TOG so I suggest taking into consideration how much your child reads and how much you will read aloud. I listened to Marsha Somerville on 1 video say that it is easier to take away from a curriculum than try to add to it.

It is easier for me in TOG because I am familiar with many of the books, authors, and stories. SL was foreign to me although I am keeping and did enjoy a few of the books.

God bless you as you make your choices, my head was spinning for awhile, and I finally Found TOG used on here at a great price.

I do think middle school is just going to be more expensive. I am planning 5th grade next year, and when I add in the price of a microscope along with everything else I want it is by far the most expensive year we will have had yet!

I am no help, except to say that I think that it is worth spending the money to make sure they get a good education.

And 3rd question.. I really have no clue about these things. Can you actually give high school credit for Spanish one if you do it before 9th grade?

I bought SL core W and could only use it with my 2 oldest, we did not have all of the materials to go with it: and it was over $650 total what I spent, my dd 12 did not like the books so I switched some, read some aloud, and ended up using CHOW for awhile, but I have been physically ill for most of the past 14 months in extreme pain.

I like IEW and SL calls for alot of dictation and discussion. We get World Magazine and read it cover to cover discussing issues and really get alot from it.

I like more of the younger children's selections for books, and did buy several for us to use and we are still enjoying them.

I am pulling TOG 2 together, right now, and it looks like it will be cheaper in the long run, especially since it is easier to navigate for me and has each child's level on 2 pages for the suggested reading, student pages, and Socratic questions and keys to each book selected so I don't have to know all of the material. The World Book is quoted throughout so I plan to use it when needed. We have a set of World books, and a CD rom of WORLD Book and Britannica, but hardly use them. I thought SL was going to be what helped me the most, but had never even heard of TOG until reading on here.

If I only had 2,3, or maybe 4 children, I would like SL better. I can't afford the time or $$$ to buy 3-4 Cores and couldn't use them all.

I hope you do get more advice and take your goals, needs, likes, and $$ into consideration.

I keep thinking TOG is too expensive, but if we really use it for 1 or more years it will be a Rich experience. It absolutely won't be easy, but I love the books that we are mostly getting used on Amazon and love the way I can look on Bookshelf Central to get a list and then look for a great deal on it.

And so far our library has only had a few, so I know going in every year that I will have to buy several books.

The book selections are similar on Easy Classical, Veritas Press, TOG, and even CC, HOD, MFW, etc. The lists are longest in SL and TOG so I suggest taking into consideration how much your child reads and how much you will read aloud. I listened to Marsha Somerville on 1 video say that it is easier to take away from a curriculum than try to add to it.

It is easier for me in TOG because I am familiar with many of the books, authors, and stories. SL was foreign to me although I am keeping and did enjoy a few of the books.

God bless you as you make your choices, my head was spinning for awhile, and I finally Found TOG used on here at a great price.

Thanks, but TOG is definitely not on the list of possibilities. I tried it our first year of schooling for about a month, and it just doesn't work for us. I think the box checking of Sonlight will work much better. As for the books, we've been getting a few of the ones from core G to read this year and he LOVES them. Several times he has stayed up very late reading. He definitely likes them better than the TOG books.

Thank you though!

I do think middle school is just going to be more expensive. I am planning 5th grade next year, and when I add in the price of a microscope along with everything else I want it is by far the most expensive year we will have had yet!

I am no help, except to say that I think that it is worth spending the money to make sure they get a good education.

And 3rd question.. I really have no clue about these things. Can you actually give high school credit for Spanish one if you do it before 9th grade?

Yes, it is common here to take it in Jr. High.

I did something similar with my then 4th grader when we brought my daughter home from China. I needed my ds to be as independent as possible which meant that I bought a computer math program, a Sonlight core, and other things that made my life easier. It was totally worth it. Also, as you get into the upper years, curriculum is just going to get more expensive any way you look at it. I think you should get anything that will give him more independence. Also, my ds is doing a Sonlight core independently this year and as others say around here - the curriculum that gets done is the best curriculum.

Beth

I have determined, at least for now, that it is worth the $ for me to have self-directed online materials for DS because they suit his personality the best.

In the past I've tried to do schooling as inexpensively as possible as a matter of principle. But I am now seeing that I need to choose what works best or the money is wasted regardless of what I spend. It does help that I have 3 younger learners so if I buy a CD or print materials I can dollar cost average. ;)

I have made a few pricey expenditures for online resources that I regret because my child ended up not liking or using them. I try to go more slowly now and not buy all my year's curricula at once. Sometimes I need to put it on the wishlist for a month or two and make sure I still really want it.

Edited by MomatHWTK

I used to try to get by as cheaply as possible, but recently we just splurged on a used Sonlight Core and I couldn't be more pleased. In the spirit of the moment we also went with Apologia Science. I can't begin to tell you how much of a difference this has made to me in terms of making things sooooo much easier, and my daughter absolutely loves the Core and with Apologia, the notebook, and the schedule, science is getting done and done well. I will be sticking with Sonlight, I think the IG is the best thing in the world and much better than what you get from TOG. In fact I'm saving up for another core for my son.

You can save a little getting one from 2009-2011. I wouldn't go back further than that because some of the books may be hard to get.

I used Sonlight for six years after doing mom-planned, and it saved my sanity. It matched my tastes and goals most of the time, and it was a relief to pull it out and go. The expense was worthwhile.

And yes, your dear students will get more expensive as time goes on. It is just that way, although you do save some because more is reusable. I'll be about the same for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, which is great. Much more expensive than is was when they were little though.