Menu

Lively Latin users

PookieMama

What version do you recommend -- the online only, the CDs, or the hardcopy (plus CDs)? I have a 9yo and (at least) 4 more coming behind him if that makes any difference.

We are doing LfC A right now. It's going OK. He's doing really well w/ the vocab but not so great w/ the grammar and translation. I don't know if it's because we haven't gone over some of the grammar terms in our English grammar yet or what. He doesn't like all the writing; I told him we could try and do more orally, and he liked that idea very much. So I will probably stick w/ LfC for a while. But LL looks so, well, LIVELY! I think he would like it very much, especially the history part.

I tried to use LfC A, but I can not stand the way that there is no practice for the words you learn. We sold it and bought online version of Lively Latin. I print one lesson at a time to use over two weeks and have both boys do it at the same speed. We watch the online grammar/vocab lessons and listen to the vocab and the chants online. It works great. I highly recommend the online version since you have so many kiddos using it now or in the future. The teacher is much better and clearer than LfC teacher in my opinion. The exercises are fun and engaging and meaningful. I can't recommend it highly enough. My boys are 9 and 7.

I bought the online version too, and print out and use one lesson at a time. I have a Latin notebook organized as instructed, and add each lesson's worth of materials to the notebook, behind the appropriate tab, as the lesson is finished.

We listen online to the pronunciation guide. We haven't used the online video lessons, because we just now got a fast enough internet connection to play them w/o interruptions :D. Also I am trying to learn it along with dd, and if I just had her watch the video lessons, I would probably go off and do something else and get behind . . . it also gives me a chance to make connections with her about the grammar we are learning in Latin and the grammar we are learning in Grammar and MCT.

It's been mostly great. There are a few mistakes you have to watch out for, and that is annoying, but other than that it's a great program. Dd is learning & retaining well, she loves the history, I love the derivations/word study. DD's new favorite word is "verbose" and we got that from LL!

I am with the others. I got the online/e-book format. With five kids, this will allow you to print a copy for each as they come along. I print each chapter as they get to it to emphasize that we master before we move on (and to save organization space!).

I too set up a notebook so that all vocabulary stays together, all lessons stay together, all history stays together, etc. it makes looking something up so very easy.

I did invest in a laser printer with very low per page printing costs, so I don't worry about printing costs. Even with an inkjet you can use the fast print setting to save ink.

My son loves the online lessons-- hangman, battleship, etc.