Menu

Anyone NOT Like FIAR?

Going with the trend here.... I had considered this for my littles. I have visited their forums and read their entire website yet I am still not sure. I get an 'off' feeling reading some of the website/forum posts/signatures and had some (I felt) overly judgmental responses to my posts over there from several members. This makes me feel uncomfortable asking questions/seeking support or using the materials. Is this a valid reason for not using a curriculum? Does anyone else feel there might be a subtle hidden agenda? I am being paranoid this morning. ;)

Edited by Guest

I agree with both of you, especially the part about skills being disjointed. That has always bothered me. I also agree with using the book lists as read alouds/kid practice. I'm going to borrow that idea, too. :)

I think I have decided to go with Plan B.

Edited by Guest

Going with the trend here.... I had considered this for my littles. I have visited their forums and read their entire website yet I am still not sure. I get an 'off' feeling reading some of the website/forum posts/signatures and had some (I felt) overly judgmental responses to my posts over there from several members. This makes me feel uncomfortable asking questions/seeking support or using the materials. Is this a valid reason for not using a curriculum? Does anyone else feel there might be a subtle hidden agenda? I am being paranoid this morning. ;)

When we first started doing FIAR my dd didn't like reading the book more than 3xs and that is all we did. Now dd has such a love for the books that we often times read them more than 5.

But the main reason for my post is this:

I don't recognize your name being on the FIAR forum so I suspect that either I have missed your post, or you have used a different name (which is fine). So I am not sure what post(s) you are referring to being overly judgmental. I just want to say that if I have said anything in such a way as to cause those feelings I apologize. Though FIAR works for us -- what you see as disjointed we see as sweet variety-- I still realize that no curriculum is a fit for everyone. I hope I didn't say anything that would offend you because of it.

No idea about agendas, but I tried it many years ago, when my 12 year old was 5. I thought it was dumb. I thought the activities were forced and had very little to do with the story, and were the kinds of things we did already anyway. Really didn't get much out of it and stopped using it.

we own all of the FIAR volume 1 books and have rowed most of them. i've kept the books to pass along to my kids some day. i didn't read the book 5 days in a row either, but we would read it 2 days (day 1: read. day 2: lapbook. day 3: read. day 4: lapbook day 5: activities, crafts and food!). my kids really enjoyed lapbooking what they learned, so we used all of the freebies at homeschool share we also loved the cooking ideas, go along movies, crafts, etc. i think it's a super fun curriculum.

it involves more prep than i like, especially since we lapbooked, but the memories are great. my kids learned a lot and still talk about things from then:001_smile: we never used it as our only curriculum, but that was more to do with me than FIAR's ability to be complete.

as for the FIAR forums, i'm sure the ladies are just being protective. many of them take the curriculum personally. i'm sure they didn't mean to be personal with you though:grouphug:

We got BFIAR and did not like it and don't think I will use it next year for my 4 year old. I could not find many of the books and hunting down out of print read alouds when I have access to amazing in print in the library read alouds just seemed like more work than necessary for me. But I am rather lazy. :tongue_smilie:

Tried it with DD the Elder and energy made it past Book 1 Day 2. She was incredulous at the idea of reading the same book five days in a row when she knew the story "perfectly well already." :lol:

Me -tried it and the kids got bored with it after a day or two -we never stuck it out. Books were too hard to source in Australia especially the out of print ones.

I prefer to use Homeschoolshare when we are in the mood to row a book. Then I don't feel bad if we all lose interest after a couple days because it's free - and I think the quality is great too.

I wanted to love FIAR so badly! Never worked out here. I did buy Peak with Books, though, and we do enjoy that. It's cheaper (1 book, buy used) and I just borrow from the library whatever books we don't own. Lots of hands on activities, plus guides you in conversation. You can preview it on Google books HERE.

ETA: I also love the Story Stretchers books HERE

We actually use the curriculum, but these 2 quotes are confusing to me. Some think that it is not enough as a curriculum for the secondary subjects? but others think just reading aloud is better? :confused: i don't disagree with either - just trying to understand (because I am still new) why FIAR might not be enough as written...if read alouds CAN be enough..?

I liked it for my dd when she was 3 and 4. I didn't think it was *enough* for her for elementary school. On the FIAR board there are some moms doing an awesome job using it as their main curricula. They are doing a lot more than the lessons out of the manual though.

VS.

It was not our style. I returned it and we are happy just doing read alouds.

Just wondering!! :001_smile:

BTW: We only read the book once - more if my kids request it - leaves more time for the activities. It is perfect if you want to do unit studies - which is why that is how it is classified. We use it interchangeably with http://www.homeschoolshare.com, too. I love that it gives me all the ideas I might not think of but I can add to it if we want.

Edited by honeymommy4

The husband of the author has called their curriculum a ministry but they do not included the Bible in their volumes, you have to buy the Bible portion separate at an extra expense. I am not a fan of this, as it seems as if Christians are being penalized. Most Christian curriculums I know of have non-Christians buying them too, they just skip the parts they don't believe in. I am not sure why FIAR felt they had to not include it. I use them more as a book list. They also are unwilling to update their manuals although they release them with new covers and I find this a little dishonest. People buy the curriculum thinking it will be easy to acquire the books and this is not the case. I've heard of people looking to find Andy and the Circus for years. The Giraffe walked to Paris goes for $50+. Cowboy Charlie is very hard to find. I think they should at least have a disclaimer that many of the books in the curriculum are out of print and may be hard to find.

Edited by teeniebeenie6

They also are unwilling to update their manuals although they release them with new covers and I find this a little dishonest. People buy the curriculum thinking it will be easy to acquire the books and this is not the case. I've heard of people looking to find Andy and the Circus for years. The Giraffe walked to Paris goes for $50+. Cowboy Charlie is very hard to find. I think they should at least have a disclaimer that many of the books in the curriculum are out of print and may be hard to find.

:iagree:This was our main problem with FIAR. Our library is notorious for purging, and most of the titles I couldn't find there or used. Also, lots of the activities were only tangentially related and I wouldn't consider them under the subject listed at all. I felt I could come up with better craft ideas related to literature from the web or on my own.

It was a bit redundant reading the book so many times all in one week, at least for our family. We definitely love reading books and have lots we read multiple times, but not back to back days. We also, of our own accord, ask random questions like "Count the ducks on this page" and we talk about migration as a by product of reading Make Way for Ducklings, but the kids weren't big into splitting that discussion up over the course of several days. They wanted to do it all in one fell swoop!! Instead, we do Ambleside Online and love it.

you have to buy the Bible portion separate at an extra expense. I am not a fan of this, as it seems as if Christians are being penalized. I am not sure why FIAR felt they had to not include it.

I've heard of people looking to find Andy and the Circus for years. The Giraffe walked to Paris goes for $50+. Cowboy Charlie is very hard to find. I think they should at least have a disclaimer that many of the books in the curriculum are out of print and may be hard to find.

If I remember correctly, when Jane wrote the curriculum she did it keeping public school teachers in mind. Had she included Christian content then the ps teacher would not be free to use it. While I would have appreciated the Christian lessons being included, I do understand - with Jane coming from a line of teacher in her family- why she did it.

Most of us skip the very few books that are out of print and costly. Others find that buying most of the books for 25 cents each offsets paying $25 for another. There are now convenient book packs at Rainbow Resource for those who want to purchase them new. They include most of the books. I have a very poor library system that has about 30% of the FIAR books, but I found them easy to find them on hs fs forums, thrift stores, and places like Amazon Marketplace. From my understandings there were more oop books a few years ago, but Purple House Press has brought several back in print.

Hope this info helps someone. :)

Most of us skip the very few books that are out of print and costly. Others find that buying most of the books for 25 cents each offsets paying $25 for another.
I shop thrift stores and used book stores obsessively and have never found a FIAR book for $0.25. You may have a place you can get books cheap like that but most people don't have that option. I've been looking for months.

If I remember correctly, when Jane wrote the curriculum she did it keeping public school teachers in mind. Had she included Christian content then the ps teacher would not be free to use it. While I would have appreciated the Christian lessons being included, I do understand - with Jane coming from a line of teacher in her family- why she did it.
My gripe is with Steve calling it a ministry when it does not include the Christian content. Sorry but how is that a ministry? Now I think BFIAR and the fourth volume could be counted that way but not the rest. Edited by teeniebeenie6

I shop thrift stores and used book stores obsessively and have never found a FIAR book for $0.25. You may have a place you can get books cheap like that but most people don't have that option. I've been looking for months.

My gripe is with Steve calling it a ministry when it does not include the Christian content. Sorry but how is that a ministry? Now I think BFIAR and the fourth volume could be counted that way but not the rest.

Kris,

The intent of the my post was not to cause distention. I understand FIAR is not for everyone. I was in hopes that what I know could help someone who may be interested. The 25 cents is my current price. At one time our thrifts charged $1 per book. Before the good thrifts we now have there was consignment here and books were higher. So I do know that this is not available to everyone. But I have also heard several say that they get them for 10 cents each.

I was not addressing your gripe with Steve. I know nothing about that. I was addressing what you said about how you felt Christians were penalized because they have the CCS in a separate book. I was agreeing with you that I would prefer them to be in one book, but I do understand why Jane chose otherwise.

Please understand I was only trying to present possible help for someone who may be interested in FIAR as I know that not only those who hate FIAR will read these threads.

We used FIAR for almost two years. It would definitely be untrue to say we disliked it; however I do have many thoughts about it, both positive and negative.

1) When I used it, my oldest was in 2nd-3rd grade and my younger was in k-1st. They say it's for k-3, but looking back, I am almost embarrassed that I used it with a third grader. The LA activities, while interesting and enjoyable, are NOT enough for a second or third grader. There is no spelling, no grammar, and the "writing" assignments are things like, "First person is when ____ . Try writing your own story written in first person." If you use it as described, you do LA only one day a week, and the LA activities are things like "Discuss personification" or "act out such-and-such scene from the story." Great fun, but ... ten minutes of LA a week?

[bTW, I did look through "Beyond Five in a Row," which is supposed to be for middle school, and I felt the same way. The topics jumped around way too much for that age, IMO, and were too open-ended: "Design your own simple machine" or "Write a report about ___."]

2) The "jumping around" started to drive me crazy after a while. One week you're discussing China, the next week Germany during WWII, the next week the Civil RIghts movement. I had no problem with that the first year, but after a while I started to dislike it.

3) I've said this many times, but I would not have enjoyed FIAR nearly as much had it not been for the homeschoolshare.com materials and the FIAR message board archives.

4) I was impressed by the art lessons.

5) It was a very "fun" curriculum. We have lots of great memories. For one story, a suggested activity was to find a Jewish deli and go have lunch there, so we did that. My kids enjoyed the lapbooks with homeschoolshare a lot. (not in the manual) We made an Eiffel Towel with Legos (not in the manual) and igloos with nuddles (again, not in the manual). We read a lot of "go-along" books we enjoyed (not listed in the manual).

Ha ha ...see a pattern here?

6) As I'm typing this, I just realized something about FIAR and who would like it.

If you like a lot of choices to pick and choose from and enjoy doing some "research" (ie, homeschoolshare) to find extra ideas, and like to tailor things to fit (ie, maybe not reading the book five times), then you will probably like it.

But if you like to go down a checklist, or be able to know exactly what comes next, and have a logical sequence to things, it will probably bug you.

I think you'll find that most of the ppl on the FIAR boards are very passionate on personal levels with the curriculum, but also with the author. That can, to some degree, at times make their advice biased.

Having said that, we used FIAR and enjoyed it, but we did reach a point where I dreaded it. I realized, then, that what I dreaded wasn't so much the curriculum as much as it was that we'd out growned it.

If I had it to do all over again I'd only use FIAR from grades K-1 or maybe 2. Then I'd switch over to SL's younger world history core & move forward from there. I think the people on the boards that you probably heard from are ones who take a really long time with the curriculum using it from K-3rd, then moving to Volume 4 for 4th grade and then switching up to Beyond.

Interestingly enough, those that are quieter about it use it very differently. ;)

Having said that, we used FIAR and enjoyed it, but we did reach a point where I dreaded it. I realized, then, that what I dreaded wasn't so much the curriculum as much as it was that we'd out growned it.

If I had it to do all over again I'd only use FIAR from grades K-1 or maybe 2.

:iagree: :iagree:

That is exactly how I feel and what I experienced.

I plan to use it again for my youngest, but only through first grade, or maybe second.

6) As I'm typing this, I just realized something about FIAR and who would like it.

If you like a lot of choices to pick and choose from and enjoy doing some "research" (ie, homeschoolshare) to find extra ideas, and like to tailor things to fit (ie, maybe not reading the book five times), then you will probably like it.

But if you like to go down a checklist, or be able to know exactly what comes next, and have a logical sequence to things, it will probably bug you.

Interestingly enough, those that are quieter about it use it very differently. ;)

:iagree: This describes us. We use it for Preschool and kindergarten and really enjoy it. But I use it very differently than "intended" and I am someone who likes to tweak and do things my own way.