Menu

The Art of Problem Solving

Search the forum, there have been dozens of threads about AoPS.

In a nutshell: AoPS is a discovery based curriculum for students who are good at, and interested in, math. the lesson starts with problems that are presented to the student to solve, without explanation. AFTER the student has solved the problems, the solution is explained and the new concepts are discussed.

In scope and difficulty, AoPS goes way beyond other curricula. The intro to algebra text covers a lot of material traditionally taught in algebra 2; the algebra 1 portion is only the first 12 or so chapters. The problems are harder; there is no rote drill, but the student has to think about each practice problem, how to apply the concept. There is enough practice for mastery. The challenge problems are truly challenging; your student should be prepared to routinely spend half an hour, an hour, or longer puzzling out a single problem.

AoPS is a great program for mathematically gifted students who are motivated to do the extra work. I would not recommend the program for the average student, or for an immature student who is not willing to make more of an effort than he would have to with any other math program.

Thanks for you help! Would you say that the pre algebra is more comparable to a traditional algebra course? My daughter is not mathy, necessarily, but is very good at puzzling things out. I had her do some of the sample problems and she seemed to get the approach. It is hard to base a math decision on sample problems.

No. The pre-Algebra course goes deeper and further than a standard pre-Algebra course, but it does not cover anywhere near all of the material found in Algebra 1. For example... there are no quadratic equations :D

We aren't using AoPS in the standard, prescribed sense (as described above). My son has already completed 3 different pre-Algebra courses. However, he still "failed" the exit test for AoPS pre-Algebra. Conversely, he passed the pre-test for TT Algebra 1. IOW, while my son was prepared for Algebra 1 (in some texts), he hadn't covered all of the material offered by AoPS pre-Algebra.

After completing AoPS Pre-Algebra, your child should be well prepared to tackle a standard Algebra 1 course.

Thanks for you help! Would you say that the pre algebra is more comparable to a traditional algebra course? My daughter is not mathy, necessarily, but is very good at puzzling things out. I had her do some of the sample problems and she seemed to get the approach. It is hard to base a math decision on sample problems.

My dd is currently working in the pre-algebra book and my boys have completed the Introduction to Algebra book (which is the equivalent of Alg. I and Alg. II)

Imo, while the pre-algebra book covers a broad spectrum of topics in great depth and is more challenging than a typical Alg. I course, it does not cover all of the topics of a traditional Alg. I course.

I would say that the AoPS Prealgebra course covers prealgebra. It is done in a deep and challenging way. It is more rigorous than many algebra courses since the problems are HARD. The topics that cross over with algebra may be taught better than some algebra courses, but it is still pre-algebra.

Many typical algebra students would find the prealgebra book a great review (and teacher) of concepts that they are not solid on.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Lisa I think we share a similar plight in terms of the various math curriculums. My daughter appears to be ready for most other algebra curriculums, but I don't see her passing the pre test for AoPS algebra.

Considering the level of difficulty I am not positive it is a good fit, but I think the approach may be a good fit for her personality.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Lisa I think we share a similar plight in terms of the various math curriculums. My daughter appears to be ready for most other algebra curriculums, but I don't see her passing the pre test for AoPS algebra.

Considering the level of difficulty I am not positive it is a good fit, but I think the approach may be a good fit for her personality.

If she wouldn't be able to pass the Intro to Alg pre-test, then the book is not an option at this point, but do look closely at it if you haven't already, because the prerequisite skills on AoPS pre-tests tend to be easy relative to the difficulty level/depth of the texts. If there's time, maybe she could work through the Prealgebra book, whether or not you ultimately select something else for algebra. That might be a good indicator of whether the style suits her, though we are all anxious to see how well the current crop of Prealgebra students fare with the Intro to Algebra text in the coming year.

... That might be a good indicator of whether the style suits her, though we are all anxious to see how well the current crop of Prealgebra students fare with the Intro to Algebra text in the coming year.

If your child is able to work successfully in the pre-algebra book, imo, they will also thrive in the AoPS Introduction to Algebra. Whether that child is able to handle the pace of the online Algebra I class may be an issue, but not the actual course material.

If your child is able to work successfully in the pre-algebra book, imo, they will also thrive in the AoPS Introduction to Algebra. Whether that child is able to handle the pace of the online Algebra I class may be an issue, but not the actual course material.

Thank you, snowbeltmom! The descriptions of the Intro to Algebra often make it sound daunting, and I wonder whether the students who have been through the Prealgebra book will find it less of a jump(? or something) than those who came from other prealgebras.

Thank you, snowbeltmom! The descriptions of the Intro to Algebra often make it sound daunting, and I wonder whether the students who have been through the Prealgebra book will find it less of a jump(? or something) than those who came from other prealgebras.

It will definitely be less of a jump for those kiddos who have completed AoPS pre-algebra. I am thrilled that the pre-algebra came out this year for dd. I wish it would have been available for my middle child - the jump from Singapore 6B to AoPS Algebra was a big leap for him. My dd will have an easier time.

It will definitely be less of a jump for those kiddos who have completed AoPS pre-algebra. I am thrilled that the pre-algebra came out this year for dd. I wish it would have been available for my middle child - the jump from Singapore 6B to AoPS Algebra was a big leap for him. My dd will have an easier time.

Excellent, thanks! :thumbup:

My son took Algebra 1 at a young age and loved it. He was definitely not doing it totally independently. My DH and I would sit with him and type what he told us to type, for example. Son eventually learned both typing and algebra that semester...

Incidentally, my DH (a grown-up math kid) got fascinated by some of the homework questions and worked on them all by himself just for fun. The classes are beautifully taught--and interesting even for the post-Calc crowd.

ETA: He started algebra 1 right after finishing Singapore 6b--and easily spent three times the amount of time per week on AoPS.

I'm not sure they still say it since they have their own textbook out, but AoPS used to say finishing 6b was good prep for algebra. The class was very difficult (but exciting) for my son. The difficulty was not the math itself but the rigor of the class. Although there were some moments where I assumed he would be taking the class again, I was wrong. My son grew tremendously that year. I would definitely encourage students to take AoPS--but if you're committed to another time-consuming class, it might not be the right time.