Menu

Descovery Streaming Plus

wy_kid_wrangler04

That is a hard question to answer. I have DSE now and I go through phases of using it. Yes, there is a lot more content. An incredible amount, actually.

But, the video quality is often poor to very poor. This is a big deal-breaker for me.

Personally I wouldn't go out on a limb to subscribe to it again, but if you happen to have the money lying around and like to match up your lessons to videos you might like it.

That is a hard question to answer. I have DSE now and I go through phases of using it. Yes, there is a lot more content. An incredible amount, actually.

But, the video quality is often poor to very poor. This is a big deal-breaker for me.

Personally I wouldn't go out on a limb to subscribe to it again, but if you happen to have the money lying around and like to match up your lessons to videos you might like it.

I get it for free (lucky break). There's some good stuff on there, and I use it occasionally, but the video quality stinks. There's no way I'd shell out $199 for it. I wonder how this service is supposed to be useful to schools, when there's no way to display this videos to an entire class with any kind of quality.

We signed up for it this year and won't be doing it again.

I'll echo that the video quality is poor, though we have found a way to make do.

I do love the video selection, but most of the year just haven't found the time to schedule them in. We have watched some and will watch a few more before our subscription ends.

The only way I would sign up again was if the price were much, MUCH cheaper or I know that some people have found a great deal with it combined with Brain Pop through G3.

I got given a subscription. Honestly, I never use it. The movies etc are old, the quality is poor, and I have a hard time finding stuff I would actually use. It is nice to have access to some of the more fun things to keep the younger boy quiet on occasion, but not worth 200$. No way.

I get it for free (lucky break). There's some good stuff on there, and I use it occasionally, but the video quality stinks. There's no way I'd shell out $199 for it. I wonder how this service is supposed to be useful to schools, when there's no way to display this videos to an entire class with any kind of quality.

How do you get it for free? My husband works for The Discovery Channel. Should I be looking into something? :bigear: Hehehe. I doubt that I can get it free just b/c he works for them, but I'm totally curious as to how you get it for free. Who do you know on the inside? :)

My DS received a subscription to it during 5th grade at a big discount. He watched it quite a bit during "free" time, while he was still finding new things, but that didn't last that long. Mostly he had "fun" with it as the downloads quality wasn't really reliable to include it as "curriculum". He likes it enough that he requested we renew our sub and he watches something from time to time, but it's not something I assign.

He loved watching Harold Syntax and a few other "cartoon" type shows that first year.

How do you get it for free? My husband works for The Discovery Channel. Should I be looking into something? :bigear: Hehehe. I doubt that I can get it free just b/c he works for them, but I'm totally curious as to how you get it for free. Who do you know on the inside? :)

It's through a homeschool / charter school program.

I just got it (today!) for free. Based on a poster's suggestion, I called Discovery Streaming and asked if our local elementary school subscribed (they did). I then called them, explained I was a HSer, and asked about login information. It took them by surprise, no HSer had every asked to share their electronic resources before. The principal called me, told me he'd have to look into the matter, but their IT person called me today and explained how to login!

• 11 months later...

:iagree:I wouldn't spend $200 on it but I have NP with the $60 through G3. Only issue you have to wait until August to sign up.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what is NP and G3? I tried Googling with no luck. I have a feeling it's something I'm supposed to know, and I'll feel stupid when someone tells me...