Menu

Life of Fred Algebra

My daughter is quickly moving through LoF Pre-Algebra and is about ready to move to Algebra. There are 3 books listed on the Life of Fred website, Lof Beginning Algebra, Fred's Home Companion Beginning Algebra, and Zillions of Practice Problems Beginning Algebra. It appears that Stan recommends getting the first two. Have you found a need for Zillions of Practic Problems? She has done well with Pre-Algebra thus far with the exception that sets tend to trip her up.

TIA

Sarah

The practice problems are brand new.I don't think were even shipping until the beginning of this month. I have not seen it.

I would say it depends. We started on LOF last year (algebra) and while ds liked it, I had some issues with making sure he was retaining, determining what was covered, etc. The practice problem book would have allayed many of my concerns. If I were starting over I would definitely add the practice problem book.

As it is we switched books, to a more traditional layout.

It depends on your child. Not every child needs a zillion repetitions, which is why the original book doesn't have them. The Home Companion has more, which is enough for many kids.

Some kids can do just that. Some can add in Khan Academy (free!) or a used copy of Dolciani or something for extra practice if they really need it (make sure it is your child who really needs it, and not you who needs them to need it. They may be better at math than you are ;) ). Or, now in response to demand, SS has provided the new Zillions of problems book for those who need or want more (some kids really do need more).

But I would personally recommend starting out with the book and Home Companion, and only use the HC if you need it (they have a great return policy). Don't assume you need the zillions book unless you already know you have a kid who needs lots of repetition and free stuff like Khan doesn't work for you.

This is good to know. My daughter appears to be doing great with LoF and its limited repetition, perhaps even better than with Singapore Primary Math and definitely better than with Discovering Math. I will do as you recommend and get the book and the Home Companion and see how it goes.

Thanks!

This is good to know. My daughter appears to be doing great with LoF and its limited repetition, perhaps even better than with Singapore Primary Math and definitely better than with Discovering Math. I will do as you recommend and get the book and the Home Companion and see how it goes.
We've paired Beginning Algebra with Zaccaro's Real World Algebra. It only covers about half the course, but it's fun.

Ds has worked through more than half of LoF Algebra after completing the two pre-algebra books in about 5 months. While he loves LoF, does well with it at the time, he does not retain the concepts longterm. I switched him to AoPS Pre-Algebra to give him a solid foundation, and that is working very well.

• 3 weeks later...

We own all three but dd isn't going to start them for another couple of weeks, so take this with a grain of salt. The Zillions book is a complete solutions manual which makes it a worthwhile purchase in that regard. It is also a reinforcement book. It is broken down by chapter and by topic. If you are struggling in chapter 3 with topic x then just turn to that chapter and topic and do a few problems. If you aren't struggling with that particular topic, then skip the problems for that chapter. Like I said before just being a solutions manual is worth it to me, but having the extra problems if needed make it that much more worth it. It is a $29 book. If it is in your budget then I would get it.

We LOVED LOF from fractions to pre-algebra. We're not so much loving Algebra right now. I have the Home Companion, but we quit using it. It was slowing us down and wearing us out. If you're using LOF as an enrichment, I wouldn't buy it. If it's your only math, I don't know. We don't feel like we're getting enough explanation.

This is the first time that I am hearing about a zillion repetitions from Life of Fred Algebra. I am currently using Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. My older son finished Saxon Algebra 1 last month and has been doing Life of Fred this month.

I did last year Pre-Algebra Biology and was so impressed with this program and how he correlated Biology with math. I am loving Life of Fred and I can't get enough of it. I might just purchase the zillion repetitions just for the fun of it.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

• 1 month later...

My son has been using LOF for three years and has worked his way through Fractions, Decimals and Percents, and both of the Pre-Algebra books without any trouble. Other than an occasional question he has been able to work independently through all of them, until he got to about Chapter 8 in the Algebra book. At this point the algebra I was so good at all those years ago was taking me forever to try to explain to him, so I was thrilled to find the Zillions book had been released a couple of months ago. It has helped some, but when I can't explain the process behind the math effectively it hasn't really helped to have more problems that he can't work out :) I do like having all of the problems worked out so that we can see the solutions, but sometimes that has helped us figure out why he is stuck and sometimes it hasn't. So it really depends more on what you want to use it for, in my opinion. If you have a child that needs to work more problems to make it "sink in" it is probably worth it. If you are hoping it will shed some light on the methods it may or may not be worth it to you.

My daughter is quickly moving through LoF Pre-Algebra and is about ready to move to Algebra. There are 3 books listed on the Life of Fred website, Lof Beginning Algebra, Fred's Home Companion Beginning Algebra, and Zillions of Practice Problems Beginning Algebra. It appears that Stan recommends getting the first two. Have you found a need for Zillions of Practic Problems? She has done well with Pre-Algebra thus far with the exception that sets tend to trip her up.

TIA

Sarah

My daughter worked her way through LoF Beginning Algebra on her own last summer. She enjoyed it very much.

I don't know your situation, but if it is were my daughter and it was the only math she was using, I would probably get Zillions and check that she could work through some of the problems to be sure.

Good luck. :)

Edited by fractalgal