Menu

What should we do to catch up these last 2 months?

1GirlTwinBoys

My family of 5 moved out of town a few months ago. Because of that, and then holidays, our business, we have not done well at keeping up with anything except the 3 R's this school year. What would you suggest us do the next 2 months to try and play catch up? Are there videos they could watch? My boys are 2nd grade and DD is 3rd. Should we do a state study? What would be the best way to do science? We have MFW Adventures but have only done 4 weeks worth of the lesson plans. I just don't want them to be behind PS in case they will go there next school year. Hopefully not, but I just don't want them behind.:001_huh:

Any suggestions at all on something we can squeeze in quickly these next 2 months?

I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main things to worry about when considering going back to public school ARE the 3 R's, which you said you've been keeping up on. Every school seems a little different when it comes to history and science topics, so I'd think anything you want to cover would be fine in that regard. As long as their reading, writing, and math skills are up to par, I don't think there will be any real issues.

Agreed that the 3 r's are enough for returning to ps. I would just pick up where you left off with MFW. I had planned to do Galloping the Globe this year with my youngest 2 but it wasn't happening for many reasons. We are starting TOG this Sept. and I wanted them to have some knowledge of world geography first so we are reading through Around The World In 80 Tales as a bedtime read aloud, followed by finding the country and capital city on the map and looking at the flag. It's working out just fine.:001_smile:

Get What Your Second/Third grader Needs to Know books and read the lit, history, and science sections out loud. Just do it for bedtime reading and a little during the day. It you add nothing else, you can do it in a few months. If you add some other reading for science and history, you can take the summer to do it.

It would be easy and it is already organized for you.