Menu

There has been a shooting at local high school

I am just sick. What is happening with this generation of kids?

I just got done securing my oldest the ability to take independent study next year at our high school so he can play for the tennis team. My husband wants us to reconsider this. Another local school was closed for three days a few months back because of threats.

This is just unbelievable.

I read both gunmen were in custody. Praying that the victims will recover- and that you can have peace about sending your ds there.

When middle dd went to our local high school, they had to keep cell phones in their lockers. I argued against that rule because I wanted the kids to have them in case of emergency. Looks like your school lets kids have theirs during the day- and parents were able to know what was going on.

I respect people's choices for their own kids. Truly. A number of our homeschooling friends have chosen to send theirs to the classroom for high school, and I've never said anything discouraging to them. They've done a great job with their kids, and I'm sure that they didn't make the decision lightly.

I also hear about the level of bullying, drugs, and violence from friends who are teachers and administrators. The reality is that even kids trying to stay clear sometimes are affected. That sort of thing has deepened my resolve to stay the course.

Very, very sad, isn't it?

I respect people's choices for their own kids. Truly. A number of our homeschooling friends have chosen to send theirs to the classroom for high school, and I've never said anything discouraging to them. They've done a great job with their kids, and I'm sure that they didn't make the decision lightly.

I also hear about the level of bullying, drugs, and violence from friends who are teachers and administrators. The reality is that even kids trying to stay clear sometimes are affected. That sort of thing has deepened my resolve to stay the course.

This is why despite me slowly losing my sanity here with my oldest I will not send my kids. On paper the school in my town sounds great in terms of class sizes etc BUT the violence and bullying, drugs and alcohol etc are rampant. I am seeing it more in this small town school than any I saw in teh big city school near where I was. Definitely younger ages involved in it all than what I was used to seeing. As it is my kids can barely go around town without being harassassed or assaulted, I can only imagine what would happen if they attended the school.

Praying for the victims of this shooting what a terrifying ordeal.

:grouphug: UGH!...

In the older days, kids used to just fight it out in the parking lot. Why do they feel the need to shoot each other instead?

I'll never be able to relate.

:iagree:

The local reporters have now posed the question of whether the school has metal detectors. This is a community where the vast majority don't even lock up their houses when they leave home; I would be surprised to find that there are metal detectors.

I don't think metal detectors in the school would prevent someone like this anyway - they would just move the heinous act to the parking lot or school bus.

My oldest chose to go back to high school. I struggled with it - but he is such an independent kid, and our relationship would have fallen apart. He's so social... Anyway - he's doing great, and violence isn't an issue here, but drugs are. I know they've been a problem for decades, but they just seem to be more prevalent. Right along with the more extreme cases of violence.

So sad.

This is why despite me slowly losing my sanity here with my oldest I will not send my kids. On paper the school in my town sounds great in terms of class sizes etc BUT the violence and bullying, drugs and alcohol etc are rampant. I am seeing it more in this small town school than any I saw in teh big city school near where I was. Definitely younger ages involved in it all than what I was used to seeing. As it is my kids can barely go around town without being harassassed or assaulted, I can only imagine what would happen if they attended the school.

Praying for the victims of this shooting what a terrifying ordeal.

It pains me to say this and I am happy to have been able to keep my kids home all 12 years, but then they go to college and the fun begins there. Its unbelievable that this same thing carries over even into awesome colleges.

When will the madness end.

The local reporters have now posed the question of whether the school has metal detectors. This is a community where the vast majority don't even lock up their houses when they leave home; I would be surprised to find that there are metal detectors.

I don't think metal detectors in the school would prevent someone like this anyway - they would just move the heinous act to the parking lot or school bus.

You are right. They would move it outside of the school or find a way to blow the school up or any number of other acts that could get them whatever it is they are looking for.

Metal detectors and the like are the same as shutting the barn door after the horse escapes. What needs to be done is targeting and somehow getting the bullies out of the school general population. I do not claim to have the answer for how, but the why seems pretty clear after incidents such as this that take someone's life.

One shooting victim has passed away. This is total madness. Praying for the families.:grouphug:

Too tragic for words.

NO ONE sends their kids out the door in the morning to school and in their wildest fears imagines that their child will be killed.

Bullying, drugs, violence, and the like are symptoms of the problem which is lack of accountability, lack of self respect and lack of respect for others, total lack of self-control, total lack of self-discipline.

It IS madness.

Your area sounds like ours... but no matter where it happens, it's sad. :grouphug:

Offering a little perspective here. School shootings are tragedies, but they are still rare. That's why they make the news.

It's the stuff that is so common place that it no longer makes the news, like this:

....I also hear about the level of bullying, drugs, and violence from friends who are teachers and administrators. The reality is that even kids trying to stay clear sometimes are affected. That sort of thing has deepened my resolve to stay the course.

...that parents need to consider when choosing school options. I'd add foul language, promiscuity, etc. to the list.

You have to know your local high school, your child, and your child's friends.

This just has me so sad. I just keep thinking about the shooter and his life is forever changed. The family of the shooters life is changed. Any siblings lives are changed. For the shooter and family, not in a good way. Parents will be pointed to as responsible. Fingers pointed at shooter, how could he? Siblings will feel shame. Why are we missing the signs of bullying, the hints at something being wrong before it gets to this point? :confused: Not only is the shooters life changed, but those who were shot and their families and all the others who witnessed all this. :crying: So very very tragic.

It is so sad. There was an article recently buried in the back pages in our local paper discussing the anti-bullying programs being implemented in some of the local schools. The article went on to say that nationally, 35% of high school students have contemplated suicide. I don't have any answers, but clearly something in our society is broken.

It is so sad. There was an article recently buried in the back pages in our local paper discussing the anti-bullying programs being implemented in some of the local schools. The article went on to say that nationally, 35% of high school students have contemplated suicide. I don't have any answers, but clearly something in our society is broken.

I would dare to say that the # is actually higher. Many will not admit to having thought about it...

I don't have answers either (and I don't want to "hijack" this thread) but I believe that the # of violent movies, video games, and the spotlight the media puts on these shootings has something to do with it.

My oldest chose to go back to high school. I struggled with it - but he is such an independent kid, and our relationship would have fallen apart. He's so social... Anyway - he's doing great, and violence isn't an issue here, but drugs are. I know they've been a problem for decades, but they just seem to be more prevalent. Right along with the more extreme cases of violence.

So sad.

Violence wasn't an issue in the school where this happened either. This is a fairly small, rural community where, as another poster said, many people probably don't even lock their doors. I would have thought this was an extremely unlikely event in that school district. It really can happen *anywhere*.:crying: