Menu

AP PHysics B or C

My son is wanting to go to college and major in computer science. He will be taking Calculus BC next year ( I think.. trying to decide between AB and BC) . PA homeschoolers offers Physics B- the one without calc. Is that ok, or should he take the C one with calculus? If so, does anyone know of a good online class??

I would recommend taking the B level. This level gives a good overview of all the physics topics. The C level is broken down into two separate classes - mechanics and electricity. Imo, it would be difficult to fit in both classes at the C level in one year and learn calculus simultaneously.

I'll be interested to read others' opinions.:bigear:

If he wants to major in comp sci, he will be required to take two semesters of calculus based physics at the university.

If he takes an AP B class, this will serve as a valuable foundation; the test, however, would not give him any college credit, so you might as well skip it (unless you need it for outside validation).

If he takes AP C and does well, he may get out of one or even both semesters of calc based physics at the university. While I would not advocate this for a student majoring in physics, it would be a good course of action for a student majoring in comp sci who will not have to progress further up the physics sequence than two semesters.

ETA: Taking calculus based physics concurrently with calculus is not ideal, but works for a student who is strong in math. ideally, I would want to get at least a few weeks of calc in before starting physics, because the first weeks already need derivatives when kinematics is discussed.

ETA: Taking calculus based physics concurrently with calculus is not ideal, but works for a student who is strong in math. ideally, I would want to get at least a few weeks of calc in before starting physics, because the first weeks already need derivatives when kinematics is discussed. __________________

Especially since the first few chapters of most calc book are limits and won't discuss derivatives til ch 3 or 4.

I went through both the AP Physics B and C courses with my kids.

My personal vote goes to the B course. Physics B is a terrific overview of physics, and covers a much broader scope than the C course. Only my son took this class (he followed it up with the C class, while my daughter only took the C). I'd say that my son has the better grounding in physics of the two, and if I could do it again, I'd have my daughter take the B course, also.

As others have said, if your son is hoping to receive AP credit as a STEM major, then it's less likely with the B course. My kids are STEM majors, and the colleges they applied to didn't offer any kind of AP credit for the B exam.

The Physics C is very in depth but only covers mechanics and electricity & magnetism. Neither of mine had trouble completing both C's in one year, but they'd already had calculus under their belts. I suspect it would be more time-consuming to do them both together. I tend to err on the conservative side, so I required my kids to complete BC calculus first and to do multivariable calculus alongside Physics C. It worked out very well since the math calculations were automatic for them at that point, and they could just concentrate on the physics.

If he chooses the C option, then I'd definitely have him get a head start on calculus over the summer, or I'd have him use these notes put together by an AP physics teacher specifically for kids in this predicament. EPGY offers calc-based physics classes online; there might be other providers that I don't know about.