Menu

Do you ever feel badly about dropping something

Mommy22alyns

because you spent a bit of money on it?

*sigh*

I was very excited about Apologia's Anatomy & Physiology. I got the book, notebooking journals for both girls, and the experiment kit. We've made it 4 chapters in and hit the nutrition chapter and they're talking about amino acids and it would just be over their heads. Sylvia was a bit of a stretch anyway, but I just don't think they'd get a lot out of this. I've considered skipping the chapter, but part of me just wants to shelve the whole thing because we have science as part of Adventures anyway. Or is it just February?

Any words of wisdom?

because you spent a bit of money on it?

*sigh*

I was very excited about Apologia's Anatomy & Physiology. I got the book, notebooking journals for both girls, and the experiment kit. We've made it 4 chapters in and hit the nutrition chapter and they're talking about amino acids and it would just be over their heads. Sylvia was a bit of a stretch anyway, but I just don't think they'd get a lot out of this. I've considered skipping the chapter, but part of me just wants to shelve the whole thing because we have science as part of Adventures anyway. Or is it just February?

Any words of wisdom?

If you feel bad, I should feel sick. :tongue_smilie: I bought all the books and all the journals and decided to put them aside.

But we'll use the books as encyclopedias.

No, but I tend to take a rational economists' view of money spent as sunk costs and not relevant to my decision to continue using a curriculum.

However, if there's anyrhing useful in the books, use them. I would think in an Anatomy and Physiology book there would be discussion of systems and bones that would be interesting and relevant to your kids.

I think it's a good idea to put it away for when your kids are older. I bought the Apologia Flying Creatures notebook for my daughter this year thinking she'd love it. Actually, I think she would have loved it, but it would have slowed us down so much, there's no way I felt we'd ever fit it in. I really just wanted to read through a few of the Apologia books this year for science and do some experiments with the TOPS books so I wasn't prepared to spend a full year on Flying Creatures just so my daughter could keep up with the notebooking. If I had started out with Apologia a number of years ago, I would have been willing to do that, though. I did feel bad about wasting the money on the notebook, though. She used the first few pages, so I really don't think I can even resell it.

Lisa

Over the years I've come to conclusion that that sort of thing is part of the cost of homeschooling. I'm just happy that I don't have to be like the public schools and use a poor curriculum choice for *years* after the realization that it's no good. (As the local district here did with the math programs Investigations and CMP.)

I haven't even bought much, and I already worry about that. I guess it comes with being a homeschooling parent. But, I do think it is sometimes better to try than to always wonder if it might have worked for your kids.

On another note, would Apologia Anatomy be o.k. for a 4th grader? Her reading level is high, but her attention span is short. Are the lesson really long?

I worry about the things we don't complete. I makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. That's good. If I had no doubts I'd be concerned.

Regarding the cost of material I think about it but, shocking to those that know me, I'm not overly concerned. While I don't want to do it I will spend what's needed to offer my sons the best educational experience I can.

If it isn't working ... then it isn't working! I've had to come to that realization before and I know it can be difficult. I do think that is an upper elementary text and it may be too hard at this point. Save it for 2-4 years or so and try again. I love Apologia but haven't tried that one yet because I think my kids are too young to understand it.