Menu

Where can you go on field trips *without* a group?

I want to start taking my girls on more field trips, but most places seem to require groups (zoo classes, hospital tours, etc). My mind is drawing a blank, but what are some good places that I can take my girls myself? We have two different groups that we can do field trips with, but sometimes I'd like to just go on my own time as well, in addition to those. We have a nice zoo that we've been to often, and our museum of science is just okay. I try to hit festivals when they come to town. Where does your family go on field trips to?

Depending on where you live, you could try one of the "Kids Love..." books by George and Michele Zavatsky. They haven't done all the states yet, but there are several. I have Kids Love Ohio and Adventures Around Cincinnati by Laura Hoevener and Terri Weeks. They list a lot of places in the area that I've never heard of. I made a list of all the free and low cost places I'd like to take my dc. Once you find the book for your area, see if your library has it.

Kids Love books at Amazon

it really depends on your area and what is around you. You might check local dams, parks, check w/your community center for ideas, museums are great field trips, vet clinics (there's one in our area that will allow you to watch surgeries through a viewing window), animal shelters, pet stores (for viewing animals of study or interest), if your near an ocean - tide pools, maybe a local post office (some in smaller areas are not as picky). Good luck! Hope you find some fun things to do.

This year I've taken my kids to...

1. A Patrick Dougherty stickworks sculpture at a local college campus (free)

2. The Rembrandt exhibit at our state's Art Museum.

3. The state History Museum and the state Natural Science Museum

4. The Titanic Exhibit at our local Science and Nature Center

5. our state Zoo.

6. (tomorrow we are going to) Mummies of the World Exhibit

7. (next week we are going to) Abraham Lincoln Exhibit at a local living history attraction

8. Colonial Life living history re-enactment

9. Several small county and city historical museums within a 90 minute radius

10. Several plays (Best Christmas Pagent Ever, Freedom Trail and Charlotte's Web)

11. Later in the spring we will go to a Raptor Center (we've been doing birds for nature study this year)

This year we have gone to the Air and Space Museum, the Museum of American History, the NC Transportation Museum, one of the children's museums here, our local science center, the apple orchard, some local historical sites,and a local educational park with "talking" trees. We plan on going to the zoo, the aquarium, and more historical sites when the weather is warmer. It really all depends on what is in your area. Our local fire departments will let just one family in for a tour if they aren't busy. We also plan on taking our vacation this year near Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown.

art museums

nature centers

state parks

We also love little county museums, sometimes housed in old railway stations or courthouse basements.

Do you have a university nearby that has an associated art gallery or concert hall?

Sometimes you can attend factory tours that are open to the public.

Does your newspaper have a weekend guide? I have found that to be a great place to get info on exhibits and museums.

Local festivals, both at parks and fairgrounds (Scottish Festivals, etc.)

Emergency services fairs, open houses (Police station, Fire station, Search and Rescue, etc.)

Renaissance Faire

Wildlife Rescue center, zoos

Caves (guided tours)

Behind the Scenes tours at animal parks, zoos, etc. (Have to pay for these)

Taylor Guitar Factory, chocolate factory, other factory tours (some have planned tour times you just sign up for)

Ranger led tours and walks through Regional Parks and National Parks (usually with a specific focus such as Native American life, local wildlife, birds, reptiles, or plants)

Concerts in the park, Shakespeare in the park (free, bring your own blanket or chair)

Any museums I can find (We visited the Donner Party Museum during a fierce snowstorm. It was too blizzardy to snowboard that day, so we went there instead. That was impacting.)

Living History days at various locations

Observatories

Plays, concerts, performances at several theaters

Local festivals, both at parks and fairgrounds (Scottish Festivals, etc.)

Emergency services fairs, open houses (Police station, Fire station, Search and Rescue, etc.)

Renaissance Faire

Wildlife Rescue center, zoos

Caves (guided tours)

Behind the Scenes tours at animal parks, zoos, etc. (Have to pay for these)

Taylor Guitar Factory, chocolate factory, other factory tours (some have planned tour times you just sign up for)

Ranger led tours and walks through Regional Parks and National Parks (usually with a specific focus such as Native American life, local wildlife, birds, reptiles, or plants)

Concerts in the park, Shakespeare in the park (free, bring your own blanket or chair)

Any museums I can find (We visited the Donner Party Museum during a fierce snowstorm. It was too blizzardy to snowboard that day, so we went there instead. That was impacting.)

Living History days at various locations

Observatories

Plays, concerts, performances at several theaters

omg! I'm so jealous!!!