Menu

Day 1 no tv/xbox

I have not gotten rid of the tv yet, but the xbox has been disconnected and hidden until I can get it to my mother's place on Thursday. Ds disconnected it himeslf last night and handed it over to me when he realized how serious I was. (DD told him I posted about it to the hive, he knew then I wasn't bluffing about getting rid of the tv). As soon as I clean out the backroom and make space tonight, I am wheeling the tv and stand into there, we will see how it feels to have absolutely no tv.

In the meantime ds has been going through withdrawal today. No other way to put it. Irritable, snapping at everyone, 4 meltdowns about it, crying that he is going to die without some screentime. I sent the 3 other kids outside to play in the snow this afternoon so I could talk to him in private. The feelings he was feeling could not be anything but withdrawal (skin crawling, angry, racing mind). It took almost 3 hours to convince him to go outside and play and get some fresh air and exercise. He is out there now and has been for 40 minutes, he has tried to come back in twice, and currently has a mandatory 20 more minutes.

He knows why it is gone, but it does not make it any easier to get used to not having it around. Hopefully this side of things only lasts a few days and he gets used to not having them in the house.

Good for you. This is a great time to get him out and doing heavy exercise or something every day. It will distract his body and mind, and form a better habit.

I've always heard it takes 21 days to make a habit. I'd challenge him to do something completely different for 21 days.

Good for you. This is a great time to get him out and doing heavy exercise or something every day. It will distract his body and mind, and form a better habit.

I've always heard it takes 21 days to make a habit. I'd challenge him to do something completely different for 21 days.

He is very excited about the new puppy, he will be responsible for 2 walks each day with it(and me for at least 1 of the walks) (DD12 will either go with him for the 2nd one or do her own walk each day- this pup will be well exercised as will the kids)

Because he was obsessive about the video games he would not exercise, go out and play etc anymore. He was packing on weight and definitely unhealthy. I am hoping between the games being gone and the new pup he will rebuild his fitness levels and make some new habits that involve actually playing again. And not just reinacting the video games (which is the only way he played when forced off the games before).

Despite the snow storm the other night, this is a good time of year for getting rid of the xbox because we are slowly headed into spring which means it is easier to be sure he can get outside every day.