Menu

Has anyone "taught" spelling with The ABC's and All Their Tricks?

Amie

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-All-Their-Tricks/dp/0880621494/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330292288&sr=8-1

Well, have you? :001_smile:

More info:

This book has been on my wishlist for a long time; I just haven't picked one up yet. I'm trying to think about spelling for ds (5.25 yo). He was an early reader and has completed OPGTR, so I don't think he'll need intensive spelling. The thing is he is only just now learning to write, and I know it will take some time to work up his writing stamina. So I'm not really sure about his spelling skills yet. For now we read a lot of books, and my plan is to work on handwriting gradually until he can begin writing a la SWB/WWE. I have all of Word Mastery printed out, but it is all word lists and no rules. I like the looks of the many vintage spelling books, but they all seem to contain a lot of other language skills integrated in. HTTS seems like a good idea, but I'm wondering if I would need anything even that organized/formal.

FYI: I own magnetic letter tiles we could use.

:lurk5:

I own and love the book. You could certainly use it to teach spelling. Something I find easier is using it in conjunction with Spelling Power. When the rules in SP aren't clear enough for my liking, I pull out ABC's and we go more in depth. For less than $100, spelling is covered forever. :D

:iagree:

Kind of--I have that book and several other sources of spelling rules. That book is the most comprehensive resource of its type. But, I rarely break out the book anymore, I've taught phonics for so long I have most of the rules memorized.

I do spelling on my own, when my children misspell a word, I tell them the rule if there is one. I also will work out of lists from that book or others for phonics or spelling things that my children or my remedial reading students are struggling with.

I also integrate spelling into my phonics teaching.

Edited by ElizabethB

I used "The ABCs..." to create our own spelling and integrated vocabulary from about grades 5 or 6 into high school (one DS was an average speller, the other a struggling speller). In the past thread, "The ABCs and All Their Tricks",I explain how I created our spelling from "The ABCs...", and Karenciavo linked the spelling worksheets she made to go with the book.

In the early elementary grades, I found the word lists in Natural Speller to be most helpful.

BEST of luck as you decide on what works best for spelling for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have ABC's and All Their Tricks for reference. It's very comprehensive.

Although I haven't used it, there is a program that uses ABC's and All Their Tricks. It's called Delighful Dictation with Spelling http://www.amazon.com/Delightful-Dictation-Spelling-Wiggletoe-Press/dp/0557280893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330297287&sr=8-1#_ You would need the student book and the Instructor book

Thank you everyone!! I have definitely wanted it in my library, but it's nice to hear how others have used it. I'm :bigear: for anyone's ideas.

Hunter: I just placed an order for it with the Book Depository--cents cheaper than Amazon and free shipping (with no minimum order)--can't wait. ($10.49 there)

I'm not sure if I will just wait until we begin practicing copywork/dictation and address spelling as the weak points present themselves (??). OR if I will begin actual spelling lessons with it...maybe using letter tiles at first...I could begin going through our Word Mastery lists (they are divided nicely) and use the appropriate spelling rule along with it (??). I'm also going to check out all of the links posted above. Thanks again!

I think you had a good grasp of the spelling rules and the "5000 most important words", it would be just fine. I didn't have either, and, after MUCH searching and buying, and trying and discarding, use ABCs to flesh out the program I settled on, Spelling Power.

If you aren't "up" on teaching spelling, get the hardback copy. You'll want to read the long intro to the lists and make plenty of notes in the margins. :001_smile:

I always forget about Book Depository. Thanks for the reminder!

You're welcome!

ETA: Hunter, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book if/when you get a chance to review a copy.

I think you had a good grasp of the spelling rules and the "5000 most important words", it would be just fine. I didn't have either, and, after MUCH searching and buying, and trying and discarding, use ABCs to flesh out the program I settled on, Spelling Power.

If you aren't "up" on teaching spelling, get the hardback copy. You'll want to read the long intro to the lists and make plenty of notes in the margins. :001_smile:

Thank you! I feel fairly confident with the spelling...but then, I'm trying to remember what I may not remember...we'll see (fingers crossed).

Karenciavo's worksheets must not be available anymore. Now I'm curious about what she did. I think I'll get a better sense of direction when my copy of The ABC's... arrives so I can actually see it in person.

Edited by Amie

I love this resource! I did try for awhile to develop my own program (using this and a few other resources as well), but finally ended up using All About Spelling which teaches things according to these rules and has the word lists, instructions, dictations, multi-sensory methods, and review all built in for you. If you do have a child who needs a lot of help with spelling, this can save a lot of time and work. Have fun!

Merry :-)

• 1 year later...

I stumbled across this thread searching for something else. I've attached an example of how I used ABCs and All Their Tricks. This, unfortunately, is the only page I have left. My computer crashed a few years ago and I lost everything.

Oh, wow! That is beautiful! You should remake and sell those! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks. :001_smile: I collect antique children's books and scanned images to use. I now have a time machine but I can't imagine doing the work again.

You have a TIME machine?? That sounds great! And I can see why you wouldn't want to use it to recostruct spelling sheets even if they are beautiful. Wow. A time machine.