Menu

Oh how they love to quiz homeschool kids!

My father was boasting that DS is doing "7th grade math" (??????) to a friend of his (maybe compared to what his 10 year old daughter is learning? I think he saw me teaching him exponents and primes last month and drew the wrong conclusion). So the friend turns to my son and decides to quiz him. He asks him a fairly easy math question.

So of course my son is stumped, which makes me (and him) feel badly. Sigh. Thanks, Dad! LOL.

Edited by Halcyon

And why, at least for elementary-aged kids, is it so often state capitals? Who cares if you can think critically about literature, reason your way through a complex geometry problem, and appreciate why understanding chemistry is important. Do you know the capital of Oregon?????

I did so enjoy, though, watching a homeschooled kid deal with quizzing. I observed as some relative threw a ridiculous math problem at him; he thought a moment, then answered confidently. The incredulous relative said, "You KNEW that?" The kid calmly replied, "No. I derived it." [in the interests of full disclosure, the kid's answer was entirely incorrect. But the relative didn't know that, and he did stop it with the quizzing.]

And why, at least for elementary-aged kids, is it so often state capitals? Who cares if you can think critically about literature, reason your way through a complex geometry problem, and appreciate why understanding chemistry is important. Do you know the capital of Oregon?????

I did so enjoy, though, watching a homeschooled kid deal with quizzing. I observed as some relative threw a ridiculous math problem at him; he thought a moment, then answered confidently. The incredulous relative said, "You KNEW that?" The kid calmly replied, "No. I derived it." [in the interests of full disclosure, the kid's answer was entirely incorrect. But the relative didn't know that, and he did stop it with the quizzing.]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look 'em straight in the eye and act like you know what you're talking about. Works every time. :D

I say "Ok, now it is time for Grandma to have her quiz!" and then proceed to ask questions like what is 1/2 divided by 1/3, what are the dates of the U.S. civil war, when was the Magna Carta written, what is the graveyard of empires, what is the order of taxonomy, please name the bones in the human body, how does one conjugate a Latin verb, etc etc.

Yeah, never had the kids quizzed again.