Menu

Another "yahoo!" moment

DS8 has been through several rounds of professional neuro testing because of his chromosome arrangement (47,XXY) and among his challenges is the way he processes things in memory-- most people use some type of strategy-- first in first out, last in first out, grouping (ie in a grocery list remembering produce then meats then dairy), alphabetical . . . SOME type of strategy. He has been shown to just stick things in and retrieve things from memory at random rather than forming associations, making short and long-term memory work difficult, despite a highly gifted IQ.

We have been working on memorization-- addition and multiplication facts, memorizing poems, reviewing history lessons, etc.

At his last neuro appointment for his muscle tone, he picked up Shel Silverstein's book, "Where the Sidewalk Ends," and was enchanted with it-- so much so that I bought him his own copy and put it in his bedroom. I have seen it dragged all over the house.

This morning in the car, he said, "Mommy, do you know my favorite poem right now?" He proceeded to recite a VERY long poem from memory, with no mistakes. On his own time, he had been sitting down and memorizing this poem, without my even knowing about it. I asked him if he realized he had memorized a whole poem by himself, and he said, "Oh Mom, these poems are so funny, how could you not memorize them?"

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

This kid has grown by so many leaps and bounds since we brought him home from PS :). This time last year, he was basically not even reading yet! I know if he were still in school, between school hours, homework, therapies, and what little play time was left, he would never have even had time left over to read poetry for fun!

I know if he were still in school, between school hours, homework, therapies, and what little play time was left, he would never have even had time left over to read poetry for fun!

:iagree:This is also one of the biggest reasons we chose to homeschool. We do our "tutoring" during our school day, when the school day is over the kids hve to time to play and be kids. We are also looking at VT appointments, which we would NEVER have been able to do while in PS (unless I had taken a sick day and pulled them out of school once a week... imagine that conversation with the truancy officer :001_huh:)

Hurray for your son! I know just how thrilled you are, we are beginning "recovery from PS" with my own 8 year old, he is already improving as well. I hope, soon, I can make a post similar to yours! :001_smile:

That is awesome!!!

I also agree, Gingerbread Mama. My son is still in public school b/c it is best for our family right now, but at private speech they said they would let him come early in the morning and go to school late (about 45 minutes), or start early-ish in the afternoon such that he would miss the last 30 minutes of school, but be able to be done at 4:30. His teacher would not hear of it and was shocked I would ask! Oh, well, he is doing 45 minute sessions instead of an hour and getting done at 5:00, but it is working out acceptably. But really! It pushes me towards homeschooling, but it is still not right for us right now.

Oh, and guess where he goes as soon as he gets to school 2 days a week? Yes, school speech. So whatever is going on is not so important he can't miss school speech. (Though to be fair he is missing math fact sheet practice then, and his teacher likes him to do it with the class half the time, sigh.)

Edited by Lecka

This kid has grown by so many leaps and bounds since we brought him home from PS :). This time last year, he was basically not even reading yet!

:party::party:

I've had the same experience with my son since we decided to homeschool him. I only wish we had homeschooled from the start.