Menu

First Lego League Competition Brag

Our team won BEST Programming in the state. WOOT! Pics of our very fun day at the state competition here. It was our first year with FLL and I have to say- it is an amazing program. If your kids/homeschool are STEM focused, you really need to check it out!

Congrats!!! :D Did your state just hold the state competitions? My son has bee involved with FLL for the past 3 years (and I agree, it's a wonderful experience for them), but our state competitions have been held in December and the first week of January. This year, we had to drive 10 hours north for the state competition the Saturday before Christmas. I think it would be nicer not to have to do that in December and wait til February. . .

Congratulations!! This was our first year as well. Our team made it to state and they received the honorable mention for the Inspiration award.

Parents - don't be intimidated by starting your own team. My husband was the coach, yet is not an engineer. (He did recruit an engineer from his workplace to help serve as an assistant coach).

Our competition was yesterday. We live in a state with a small population so we didn't need to qualify for the state level- but there were over 60 teams there.

The kids need to be 9 by the competition - and I think it goes to age 14. There is a competition for older kids, too, but it's not FLL.

Brenda- Congrats to your team!

Congratulations!

My two littlers' team won the regional award for their research project this year! I had nothing to do with it; they have an amazing coach (a homeschool friend) and mentor (my older dd.) Last year they went to state and won the programming award.

We will be in St. Louis for older dd's FIRST team. We don't know yet if the team will advance that far, of course, but dd will doing two presentations at the conference with some team members.

I love the FIRST and FLL programs. :001_smile:

Dawn,

I'm so sorry. We had the same thing happen with Boy Scouts. After years of being den leaders and loving every minute of it we became part of a poorly run group after a move. Neither of my boys have wanted anything to do with B.S. since. I hate that.

Elizabeth- no plans for St. Louis. We have too much travel this spring for family as it is... but that sounds like a blast!

Congratulations!

My two littlers' team won the regional award for their research project this year! I had nothing to do with it; they have an amazing coach (a homeschool friend) and mentor (my older dd.) Last year they went to state and won the programming award.

We will be in St. Louis for older dd's FIRST team. We don't know yet if the team will advance that far, of course, but dd will doing two presentations at the conference with some team members.

I love the FIRST and FLL programs. :001_smile:

Exciting! Maybe we can have a small get-together if there are other WTMers coming out.

Elizabeth- no plans for St. Louis. We have too much travel this spring for family as it is... but that sounds like a blast!

Maybe next year...although I don't know if the Air Force will have moved us out of driving distance by then, we can never tell.

Exciting! Maybe we can have a small get-together if there are other WTMers coming out.

Maybe next year...although I don't know if the Air Force will have moved us out of driving distance by then, we can never tell.

My dh is excited about the theme for next year (geriatrics- he's a psychologist and did a lot of cognitive psych in the past so this is a theme that really jazzes him) BUT my ds12- though he LOVED winning, is still so-so about it. He missed a lot of our social time (Friday afternoons- we're only in town 2 days a week) to go to practices.

I'll check in next year! It would sure be a blast to have a WTM meet-up:001_smile: