Menu

Another iPad or laptop question

I have a laptop now and it has a warranty until Jan. 2013, so this is for future reference. I also have an iPod Touch. I got a laptop for schoolwork (word processing, research, etc.), Skype, and just web surfing. I use our desktop computer over my laptop if I have the option, because my laptop is slooooow after it has been on for about an hour or so. I can't even use Skype on it because it lags, drops calls, etc.

I use my iPod Touch for games, music, quick web surfing, Youtube, Netflix. I would use for Skype if it had a camera.

I am considering a refurb iPad instead of laptop next time I buy. A 64 GB iPad 1 is $499 and a 32 GB iPad 2 is $599 refurb.

I can use our desktop or school computers for word processing.

For a CC student, would you recommend I go with another laptop, or an iPad. I will probably only have 1 year left in school by the time my laptop warranty is off if it gives out by then (I'm assuming it won't die as soon as the warranty runs out, though :tongue_smilie:)

Any thoughts?

ETA: If I am out of (or almost out of) school when my laptop dies, I will most likely go with the iPad.

I have a laptop now and it has a warranty until Jan. 2013, so this is for future reference. I also have an iPod Touch. I got a laptop for schoolwork (word processing, research, etc.), Skype, and just web surfing. I use our desktop computer over my laptop if I have the option, because my laptop is slooooow after it has been on for about an hour or so. I can't even use Skype on it because it lags, drops calls, etc.

I use my iPod Touch for games, music, quick web surfing, Youtube, Netflix. I would use for Skype if it had a camera.

I am considering a refurb iPad instead of laptop next time I buy. A 64 GB iPad 1 is $499 and a 32 GB iPad 2 is $599 refurb.

I can use our desktop or school computers for word processing.

For a CC student, would you recommend I go with another laptop, or an iPad. I will probably only have 1 year left in school by the time my laptop warranty is off if it gives out by then (I'm assuming it won't die as soon as the warranty runs out, though :tongue_smilie:)

Any thoughts?

ETA: If I am out of (or almost out of) school when my laptop dies, I will most likely go with the iPad.

Well, if you're doing research, wordproccessing, skyping and surfing then all you need is an iPad. I love my iPad for wordprocessing - I have a wireless keyboard and the Pages app.

The iPad 3 is coming out March 7, so the rumors say. I would not get an iPad 1. It does not have a camera, which you use for FaceTime, which is just like Skype, but you use it with others who have an iPad 2, iPod or iPhone 4 or above. We talk to the grandparents through FaceTime.

I use my son's iPad more than my computer. It's so much earlier to carry around. I have a laptop, bu it is slow sometimes and frustrates me. It's only 2 years old.

See what the iPad 3 offers and if you don't want it, get the iPad 2 refurbished, maybe the refurb price will go down when the 3 comes out.

I have a Dell laptop that is not even a year old and I hate it. They just don't make them like they used to. I also have an iPad2 (the kids have the refurb iPad 1 like you mentioned in your post) and if you want to skype then you'll need the iPad 2 because the other one doesn't have a camera.

I love my iPad and honestly wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get it. Now I'm saving for a MacbookPro, but that's because we really have no place to put a desktop computer in our house anymore.

If you have no need to use programs that require a disc drive, then an iPad would be a great investment.

• 2 weeks later...
What year is your desktop? I'm not familiar with iPads' date=' but I would think that a laptop would be much more versatile. I much prefer working on a laptop than a desktop, so that's probably influencing my answer. IOW I would get a good laptop, which would cost about the same as the iPad.[/quote']

Hmm...I disagree. I don't think you could get even a decent laptop for the price of a refurbished iPad, much less a good one.

Hmm...I disagree. I don't think you could get even a decent laptop for the price of a refurbished iPad, much less a good one.

Don't remember the numbers I was going on back then, but based on these links it's about right. Of course some will argue whether a Dell is a good laptop. :tongue_smilie:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?afid=p219|GOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-laptops

But OP has since mentioned that her desktop is a 2009, so a laptop won't be a necessity. I guess I see a laptop as more versatile, but then again, I've never had an iPad. :)

Stephanie I hope you enjoy your iPad or whatever you decide to get! :)