Menu

I am adding Saxon to go with MM

Twilight Woods

If you want more drill, what about adding something like Calculadders or other programs that are made as a supplement? It seems like MM and Saxon could be way overkill or at least a pain to try match up.

:iagree:At least at her age. I would also look for a "supplement" type program. You could also print drill or review style WS's from several different online sites for free.

What ever you decide I would suggest not spending more then 20-30 minutes on math daily.

I agree that it could be too much. If it is fact drill, set up an account at xtramath.org. It is free. You can also buy cheap workbooks at Walmart and Target. We have a few that I have him do periodically for fact practice. I live the A+ books Target keeps in the dollar section.

I honestly think it depends on how much time it takes the child to do Saxon. If it is just review (and you are not teaching anything new) and it takes all but 15 minutes, then I would do it.

I am trying something similiar to you with doing Singapore as my spine, but I'm using CLE for the spiral. I don't anticipate much teaching at all for CLE, so I think it is going to go quickly and be worth it to me to have the built-in review.

:iagree:At least at her age. I would also look for a "supplement" type program. You could also print drill or review style WS's from several different online sites for free.

What ever you decide I would suggest not spending more then 20-30 minutes on math daily.

We do not spend more than 30 mins on math a day. I was planning on alternating the programs. :)

There have been times when I felt dd needed more drill. I considered adding Saxon or CLE at one point, but decided it would be too much. What has worked for us is going slower with MM, I realized she didn't necessarily need more practice on some skills, she just needed more time with it. Also, adding Right Start games has added the extra review we have needed and it has been a perfect fit.

If you are planning on doing both programs in their entirety, it would be overkill. But I do something very similar with Singapore 1B and Saxon 1. We do Singapore text and workbook, and then do an abbreviated version of the Saxon meeting book (takes about 5 minutes) and then do the worksheet (another 5 minutes). We rarely do the actual Saxon lesson unless it's covering something that he doesn't know already (like a recent lesson with measuring liquids) or something really fun like the pattern blocks. He really likes it, but this is a mathy boy anyway. It can definitely work if you pick and choose.

If you are planning on doing both programs in their entirety, it would be overkill. But I do something very similar with Singapore 1B and Saxon 1. We do Singapore text and workbook, and then do an abbreviated version of the Saxon meeting book (takes about 5 minutes) and then do the worksheet (another 5 minutes). We rarely do the actual Saxon lesson unless it's covering something that he doesn't know already (like a recent lesson with measuring liquids) or something really fun like the pattern blocks. He really likes it, but this is a mathy boy anyway. It can definitely work if you pick and choose.

Yes! This is what I think I am going to do. She is VERY mathy and I think this will give her the variety she wants as well.

Yes! This is what I think I am going to do. She is VERY mathy and I think this will give her the variety she wants as well.

:001_smile: I hope it works for you!! I was originally just going to do Singapore, but having previously done Saxon with my DD, I knew how much I liked the meeting book. And, my son LIKES worksheets! (Go figure!) Plus, there are so many fun lessons in early Saxon, like the pattern blocks, and the price tags, and stuff like that - I didn't want to pass those by!