Menu

Poll on my 3rd grade dd's math

test  

1. 1. test

• yes
    • no

My dd who will be in 3rd this year is very good at conceptualizing math and she does not need a ton of review. FOr K we used Miquon and Abeka and for 1st we used Abeka and things were rolling smoothly along until I stupidly decided to use Calvert for 2nd. We lost a TON of ground this year. Right now she knows most typical 2nd grade math concepts and her adding is fast, she can do multi-column addition with regrouping. Her subtraction is a little slower but if she is timed she churns out a whole page of mutli digit subtraction with borrowing extremely fast.

She has also come up with several mental "tricks" on her own, and we own 130 board games, and she is one of the best players, though the youngest of the family, often beating our whole family in the shorter logic games, and coming in a close 2nd or 3rd in the 2 hour long resource management games.

BUT she is a creative, crafty child who would rather paint pieces of bark and float them downstream while singing about rainbows and birdies...than do math.

I have Saxon 3 sitting here unopened. I am a Saxon fan and I believe in it. It works, and at least it has many different problems on each page. Plus she can use her brother's old books, saving me a TON Of money.

But...help me decide.

I voted for Horizons just because I use it and I really like it. Horizons has colorful pages, and may be more interesting than Saxon. Horizons is my main program, and I supplement with various Singapore workbooks (CWP, Mental Math, probably going to get IP) in order to mix in some of the Asian-style math thinking and mental math. I have heard others say that they use Singapore as their main program and supplement with Horizons. BTW--if you use Horizons as your main program, defintely do the activities and drill in the TM.

However, if your dd is good at math, she would probably do well with any of those programs. I have not used Saxon, but it sounds very solid for elementary years.

Personally, I'd just use what you already have and save the money. If she doesn't need the copious review that Saxon provides, then just assign fewer problems and let her move more quickly.

(Edited to add: All those elementary math programs pretty much end up in the same place by the time pre-algebra rolls around.)

Edited by sailmom

I didn't vote, but will provide an opinion:001_smile:

If you were purchasing new I think that SM would be a good fit. Sounds like my guy - can do math w/ his own tricks. Wondering if your daughter would get bored w/ all the reivew of Saxon? I know my son would. But, if I had something on hand already I'd give it a try first and see how it goes... maybe changing it a bit to fit the needs of my kid.

I vote SM or MM, which both involve a lot of conceptual teaching and mental math, and are organized in a mastery style, which would go along with her lack of need for review. MM is a great value.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You can get the full grades MM 1-6 "blue" bundle for only $95 from Currclick and then print out only the sections she needs. It's not free, but a lot cheaper than buying year after year of Singapore, Horizons, Abeka, etc.

I would go with what you have except skip the review when she doesn't need it. You can find all kinds of free printables online to challenge or tailor your review with.

If you feel that Saxon is missing something or you want more in a certain area you should check out Math Mammoth Blue series. It is seperated not by grade but by subject(Light Blue is by grade). This is an affordable option that a lot of parents swear by. MM is excellent as a supplement or stand alone and it is mastery based.

I would not recommend jumping right into Horizons 3 without giving her a placement test. Horizons 2 teaches multiplication, equations, graphs, and several other topics you didn't happen to mention in your post.

I've used Horizons 1-4 for my "math-y" child, and he has done very well with it. He loves the variety, color, and intensity of the work in Horizons.

My "non-math-y" child is struggling some in Horizons 2 this year, and we have started doing some review with MUS, anticipating that we might switch to MUS permanently next year.

So based only on the information you provided, I would consider either using what you have, or if you feel you NEED to switch to a different program, I'd consider (in this order) Math Mammoth, Singapore, or Horizons - with the caveat that you administer a placement test for whatever program you use. But I don't see a compelling reason to switch, unless you just don't like Saxon.

I advise you think long term. Do you have Saxon up to Pre-Algebra or Year 6? If you have the full curriculum, I vote Saxon because you have it and you could skip problems if they are overwhelming. If you only have year 3, I vote Singapore. Whatever path you choose, try to stick with it. Each of the math providers have a slightly different scope and sequence so it's best, if you can, to stick with one curriculum for elementary math.

Since you have Saxon 3, I'd go with that.

I'm not a big Saxon fan in the upper grades, but if she did well with Abeka, I'm sure she'll be fine. (If you are going to buy new, I'd go back to Abeka & start her with 2 - taking the tests until she doesn't do well (under 80%) & starting from there.)

I vote SM or MM, which both involve a lot of conceptual teaching and mental math, and are organized in a mastery style, which would go along with her lack of need for review. MM is a great value.

:iagree:Just recently switched from Horizons to MM and SO glad we did! It is a fantastic value and the content is impressive. Go for it!

:iagree: SM is very good for conceptual math. I don't think you would have to do level 2 because there is so much repetition in the early grades. Whatever you do, I would pick one math program and stick with it now.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Saxon. I think it would be fine to use it as well.